AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow I just typed my post out for 30 mins and lost it due to a auto-logout/page reset.. since Im dead tired I will keep it simple

I'm wondering if the Pioneer VSX-519V-K would be good enough to power this speaker set? Its 8ohms continuous average power, is 80 watts. I'm interested in this receiver for its auto calibration "Pioneers" is supposed to be the best.

I will be using this in a room with lots of book-shelves and other obstacles. Only hooking it up to my tv, pioneer dvd player and computer that has an AuzenTech Prelude sound-card that I will be conecting trough optical.

Is Pioneers auto calibration really better than Onkyo's Audyssey MultEQ?

Much thanks in Advance,

Carlos

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update/Bump.

Will the Pioneer VSX-519V-K power this speaker set well enough? I want to press the buy button :p I've heard that this speaker set sounds alot better with an amp that has 120+ watts @8ohms, this amp averages 80 watts continuous at 8ohms.. but considering I dont think I need to have them at full blast 80 watts should be enough.

Would having the extra watts there really make a big difference? I guess it would lower harmonic distortion at high volumes, but I dont really think I will run the system close to max watching a movie? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6 Posts
how did you find the speakers? I just bought the same set and after reading the reviews they look fairly well liked

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never got them yet dude, but thier in my shopping cart at a promo price of $999 Canadian.

Yes thier very nice. from what I've read sometimes the sub has to be played with to really shine.

Did you buy them in Canada from Nicx I wonder?

I just really dont want to pay $1000 for a receiver, but if this Pioneer VSX-519V-K wont cut it, than I might just have to upgrade to the absolute best I can (somewhat) afford right away... that being something like the Pioneer VSX-9140TXH that I can most likely get for $900. I dont like buying multiple products/upgrading.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, I'm in Vancouver and picked them up for $999 from ncix, well, $1120 after taxes.

I'm also looking for a receiver to pair with them. However I'm hoping to get something from Future Shop, for the sole reason I have $300 in gift certificates.

As such I'm kinda heading towards the Denon AVR-790.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I've read the Pioneer VSX-519V-K is a very capable receiver for my needs. Hopefully it'll sound nice with the Kefs.

I liked the energy take classics sound, I found them sharper than a Polk audio set Ive heard.

I've now ordered the speakers. I plan on buying the receiver locally, most likely tomorrow.

@ Lyzic - Futureshop had the Pioneer VSX-9140TXH on sale for 899 last week, I was considering telling them I had planned on buying them last week but hadent the time to come in. but I want to keep this sub $1600 price range so the VSX-519V-K will suit me well since I do not need HD audio decoding on my receiver since my sound card can do that as do some ps3s'.

I'm off to bed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes Im going to pick it up soon. The nearest Future Shop with stock is 88km's away :O, so Im going try Best buy price-match it since thier close.

theirs really nothing bad said about the VSX-519V-K online, besides for a few units dying son after bought... so Im going to get the best buy extended service plan with mine, if it dies later on I can upgrade or get a new one.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I have those speakers (american version???)...I am powering them with a Denon 887 (100 x 7)...

I sometimes wish they were louder (maybe I am expecting too much, or maybe the reciever really isnt 100w.)

I would look at one notch up from the 519...

Or get the 1020 that is coming out soon!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I beleive they will be the American version since Nicx is owned by the USA.

That reciever you have is 100watts @8ohms from what I can see. If its continuous average or peak? I dont know forsure but I'd imagine its the average.

Maybe your room is big? Maybe add some rear or side surround sound speakers to your set-up. For the front sound stage, you want the the speakers to match your center channel speaker from what I read.

I guess I'll have to see how it sounds when I get it all hooked up. I can always return the 519 and upgrade if I find it weak.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have the KEF 2005.3 speaker set paired up with a Pioneer VSX-919, and they sound great. MCACC does a good job, but still tweaked with the settings manually to get better sound out of them. I feel the KEF "eggs" go well with my Pioneer.

As bimmerfreak suggested, I would wait for the new models to come out. Supposedly they would start shipping them in April. The 1020 looks a real good buy. It has Internet Radio. Really wish now I had waited to pick this receiver up instead of the 919. However, no regrets.

And yes, I would look at a receiver higher than the 519. That is the most basic receiver that Pioneer is selling. If you're in a hurry, you could have a look at the Pioneer VSX-9040, which is an Elite-21 clone. If you're not in a hurry, wait a bit and see how the new models fare, and you could pick one of them up. The 1020 looks fairly impressive so far.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes that 1020 looks very nice, its more future-proof with its new 3D capable hdmi, according to engadget. Shame it will probably take a while to come to Future Shop or Best Buy Canada :p

So far Im sticking with the 519. It is not bad at all by the looks of it, as long as your audio source can decode the Dts-HD.

Now the room I'd like to turn into an entertainment room is rather small, maybe odd lol... but I think it can work. I'm going to make a diagram with measurements and distances in the coming days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok I picked up the 519, upon further review the Pio 519-819 hdmi pass-trough has some issues regarding actual pass-trough. It seems, that it processes the hdmi channel according to what I gather from this topic.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1157622

I gtg to work, this is a quote from someones post in that topic.

Here was Pioneer's reply to my PQ and true 24fps for the 819 question:

This model does offer support for Deep Color as well as the xvYcc which helps with definition in regards to a 1080/24p signal.

Edit: I ended up just getting that pio VSX-9140TXH for $900.. the 519 has no auto calibration, so thats another added cost and time I would have to do with the Pio 519.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was looking at your pioneer, but went w/ denon

i picked up a denon avr-890

i haven't hooked up these speakers to it yet, but man, they are the best packed things i've ever seen. the soft cloth surrounds are awesome!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts