AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I stumbled across a set of KEF Carina II's for 10 bucks. There a small drive away but if they are decent speakers I may go out of my way to get them and refurb the cabinets.

Any thoughts on these speakers, any good or just meh?

Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Here are the spec's for those speakers

Frequency Range 55Hz to 20kHz +/-3dB at 2m on reference axis (-10dB at 45Hz and 30kHz)

Directional characteristics Within 2dB of response on reference axis. Up to 20kHz for +/-5° vertically. Up to 12kHz for +/-20° horizontally

Maximum Output 104dB spl on programme peaks under typical listening conditions

Characteristic Sensitivity Level 89dB spl at 1m on reference axis for pink noise input of 1W

Distortion

Measured at 1m on reference axis at mean spl of 90dB, anechoic conditions. Second harmonic: less than 1% from 70Hz to 20kHz. Third harmonic: less that 1% from 60Hz to 20kHz

Enclosure Type Closed box with third order low-frequency attenuation characteristic

Internal Volume 33 litres

Nominal Impedance 8 ohms

Maximum Amplifier Power normal 80W,

audiophile 150W

Minimum Amplifier Power normal 10W

Maximum Conditions Sinusoidal Input 20V rms from 80Hz to 2.5kHz reducing to 12V rms above 4kHz

Weight 9.4kg (20.7lb)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love em! on paper they dont look anything special but i had a pair when i was 17 and i am now 49.......they are a two way speaker but have three drive units.....two woofer mids and a tweeter in the centre.........I teamed mine up with an ariston rd 40 turntable and a nad 3130 amp(not that much power) but i used to crank them right up and the kick drum was pretty mean.......those two 8 inch woofer mids kick out some bass.

They need some good stands and cable......I found a set last week(i made the mistake of lending my old set to a friend and never saw him again).........They are very nice with turntable loud and low to medium with CD........the fact they have rubber surrounds on the woofer mids have meant they havent perished like foam units do.........I have my team back together and i love listening to vinyl on this set.........I can crank it right up and an hour later....walk out the room and my ears feel fine.....i cant do that with cd.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts