AVS Forum banner

kef IQ2c vs IQ 6c

7K views 32 replies 7 participants last post by  pmrowley 
#1 ·
Is there any benefit of the IQ 6c over the IQ 2c for center channel if you already have a powered sub? Does the 6c help dialogue at all over the 2c, or do the extra woofers just give you more bass?

thanks

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpacafarm /forum/post/15457131

Is there any benefit of the IQ 6c over the IQ 2c for center channel if you already have a powered sub? Does the 6c help dialogue at all over the 2c, or do the extra woofers just give you more bass?

thanks

The iQ2c is a 2-way speaker. The iQ6c is a 3-way speaker. The woofers in the 6c provide more extension, but more importantly, crossed in at 280Hz, they significantly reduce the low-frequency load on the UniQ driver.

I would not pair the iQ2c with any front speaker except the iQ1s.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSouth /forum/post/15575085

I have a set of iq7's. Would they work until I am able to buy the iQ6?

What do you mean? Running a phantom center? Sure, they will work fine. You may even decide you do not need a center channel speaker. Can you use another iQ7 as your center, btw?

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSouth /forum/post/15582163

sorry, what I meant was will an iQ2c work until I am able to pick up the iQ6? Currently I don't run a center with my 2.1 setup. I have 2 iQ3's that I was planning on moving to the back. At my current location having a 3rd iQ7 is not an option.

I think you are going to have problems finding an iQ6c. They are disappearing fast, especially at the close-out price. If you need an iQ6c I would get it as soon as you can. The iQ2c will work fine as a center, but it is not really a good match for iQ7 fronts and iQ3 rears. Too small, IMO, for that setup, especially if you use your system more for movies. Another iQ3 would be better, even if it meant laying it on its side. Of course that would mean buying a whole pair. But I think there may be several here who either have a single iQ3 to sell or need a single one.

#7 ·
A single iQ3 would be fine with me. Looks like plenty of folks are looking at that option. Same size driver as the iQ7, I believe.

My system is mainly for music but I do want surround for the movies and t.v. we do watch. of course when we move, which will be sooner rather than later I would most likely be able to fit another iQ7....what a dilemma.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSouth /forum/post/15582581

A single iQ3 would be fine with me. Looks like plenty of folks are looking at that option. Same size driver as the iQ7, I believe.

The iQ6c MAY be a better center. Hard to say. It has 5.25" drivers but benefits from the specific lower frequency drivers. The iQ3 is a single 6.5" driver. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSouth /forum/post/15584095

I think I am just gonna run phantom center until I can grab an iQ6, or another iQ7. Thanks guys for all your input.

I watched my first movie with my new set-up last night (without a center channel). I had my new iQ7s in the front and a pair of iQ3s in the back. I didn't even notice there was no center, probably due to the nice imaging and soundstage due to the UniQs.

I am expecting a set of iQ1s this week. I'll probably hook up one of the iQ3s in the center for while to see if there is a big difference.

I'll keep you posted.

ps. I hope there is not a huge difference, because I really don't have a good place to put the center!

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSouth /forum/post/15582163

sorry, what I meant was will an iQ2c work until I am able to pick up the iQ6? Currently I don't run a center with my 2.1 setup. I have 2 iQ3's that I was planning on moving to the back. At my current location having a 3rd iQ7 is not an option.

This is going to be my exact set up;

2 iQ7's

2 iQ3's

an iQ2 center

and a soon to be Super sub. SVS PC12 NSD, eD, AV123 or similar.

Debating on placements with 1Q7s up front 3's in back with the sub back to support them or 3's in front on either side of screen with sub in front.

Debating getting another set of iQ3's and using one as a center.

My feeling is with the iQ2 as center some sort of bass reinforcement is needed up front. Same with

using iQ3's up front.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmrowley /forum/post/15583696

Accessories4Less is carrying iQ6c speakers, along with most of the other iQ line.

The LF drivers DEFINITELY make a difference, particularly when pairing with the iQ7/9 towers. The 2c is going to be overblown by your tower fronts, even if you're running a sub.

Cant you boost output to the 2 and reduce it to the 7's ?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightguy /forum/post/15585816

This is going to be my exact set up;

Debating getting another set of iQ3's and using one as a center.

From looking at the specs, I would guess that the iQ3 would be better than the iQ2 matched with iQ7s or iQ3s, since they have the exact same drivers.

Basically, the iQ2 is a iQ1, which would match better with the iQ5s(or iQ1s).

Both the iQ2 and iQ3 are two-way speakers, so it looks like the iQ3s would be a better match.

Once you throw in the iQ6, you go up to a 3-way speaker, with three 5.5inch drivers.

I have no experience with either (iQ2, iQ6), but it seems the iQ6 would be much better than the iQ2, and possible the iQ3.

If you have the room, the obvious choice is another iQ7 at these prices. The problem become finding a spot to place it.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15582542

Another iQ3 would be better, even if it meant laying it on its side. Of course that would mean buying a whole pair. But I think there may be several here who either have a single iQ3 to sell or need a single one.

If you go with an iQ3 as a center, you could place the extra in the back and run a 6.1 set-up.

#18 ·
Looking back with 20/20 I should have skipped the iQ2 and bought another pair of 3's and split the set with someone here.

The $99 price got me. But it also got me off the fence so its all OK.

Wonder if Vanns will take an unopened return with these prices.

Or maybe I'll just give the little bugger a chance.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightguy /forum/post/15585955

Looking back with 20/20 I should have skipped the iQ2 and bought another pair of 3's and split the set with someone here.

give it a chance and let us know what you think. Might work fine...might not

#21 ·

Quote:

I wonder if you could get another iQ2 for the same price and use them as surrounds?? If you can find a spot for them, I don't see why this wouldn't work. Just a thought.

#22 ·

Quote:

Another thought.....you could grab a pair of iQ3s. Test thing out and find out how much difference there is between the iQ2 and iQ3 as center channels.

If you really like the iQ3 in the center use the iQ2 as one of your rears. It's not perfect symmetry, but after all it is only for surround.

#23 ·
Thinking out loud here but with high freqs being so directional I think that the 2 will be fine as a center with a little bass support on the sides.

Some here use a phantom center so some center high end with the 2 may be all that is needed.

All of this series of speaker uses the same tweeter and relatively the same mid; 5" (1,2, and 5's) vs 6" (3,6,7's) with 9's not available at reasonable prices.

Going to play around with the set up before buying anything else.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablues /forum/post/15586360

I'm in the Queen City. Feeling really blue after last saturday nights Panthers game!

I here ya. I walked out of that game with my head down. Of course the drinks at moosehead? I think thats where we went afterwards were stiff to say the least. Things improved a little hanging with other fans and drinking away the blues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.