AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
Completely different sounding speaker.

The KEF is highly detailed and lacks bass. The specs say they go as low as 43hz, but I don't see that at all. I auditioned some iQ5's at a local vendor and I thought they totally lacked bass. Vocals were great though! You'll want a subwoofer with them.

The Energy definitely has bass but is not a detailed or bright speaker. Its more of a laid back or neutral/warm speaker. Compared to the KEF you would think its muffled.

You need to decide what you prefer because they sound nothing alike.

If you can go listen to some Energy and KEF or other speakers please do. The Energy is also physically a much larger speaker. The KEF is 32" H x 6.9" W x 10.3" D and 22 lbs.

The C-500 is 37.5" tall, 8" wide, 14.5" deep and 44.1 lbs so its weighs twice as much as the KEF iQ5.

You may also want to took into the Energy RC-30. It doesn't play as deep as the C-500 but it has better build quality and a more refined sound with an upgraded tweeter. $366pair plus shipping.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2ENRC30

Is this for home theater or music? And what type of music?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
60% music and 40% movies. I am more of music fan, all kinds of music. I do have a sub, but it is quite old, not sure if I need new one or not.

I have no place where I can audition the KEF, so it will be very hard for me to compare.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One thing I want to point out, is that I plan to keep my Floor Standers not too far away from the wall, max 5 inches. Would that be any issue for kef or energy? Which one would do better?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts