Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's come down to these two. Thoughts?

I have a Yami 2300 I'll be using for the time being to power the speakers. I understand the Martin Logan's are major power hogs, so this would be a vote for the KEFs.

Also, it appears you can find KEF for less online whereas I have yet to find anyone dealing Martin Logan's for a discount.

Any and all comments thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ghileman

I understand the Martin Logan's are major power hogs, so this would be a vote for the KEFs.
The Martin Logan ESLs can be power hogs, but their ATF speakers aren't. They're also an easier load on an amplifier (5 ohms). Thats one reason ML decided to make ATFs.

You definitely need to listen to both of them (ML & KEF). They produce totally different types of sound.

I also believe that Sound &Vision reviewed these MLs earlier this year...

Here is its link and a small bit of it:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...ber=4&preview=

"For its first conplete on-wall speaker system, MartinLogan has come through with something unique. Not only does it look stunning and provide a high level of installation flexibility, but its ATF mid- and high-frequency transducers deliver the kind of clarity and detail listeners have come to expect from the company’s other speakers. You’ll pay a good deal more for the Fresco/Grotto combination than for the other systems featured here — around six grand in all — but if you’re seeking high-end looks combined with high-end performance, you won’t be disappointed."

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to listen to both and decided on the KEFs for three reasons.

#1 is SQ. I found the MLs to be a little think in the mid-range. A review I read after listening to them made the same comment.

#2 is cost. The MLs MSRP of $1k does not include the $200 wall mounting bracket. The KEF 900 MSRP does include everything you need to wall mount. Also, there are some dealers willing to give you a big discount on KEFs whereas it's nearly impossible to find someone willing to discount the MLs.

#3 is style. I was initally captivated by the ML Fresco design. Stunning. But over time it seemed to loose its effect on me and I actually wondered if the aggressive fashion statement made by these speakers would ultimately bug me. The KEFs, while a little plainer, have a rounder, softer look to them that I think will hold up better over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.