AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone matched a sub with the ls50 wireless?
At what freq do you cross over? I was thinking 80hz.

I also plan on getting a psa v1801, jtr 18inch captivator, or svs 13 inch plus/ultra...mainly due to the integrated dsp (do you guys think it who'll be worth it?)

Any advice?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anyone matched a sub with the ls50 wireless?
At what freq do you cross over? I was thinking 80hz.

I also plan on getting a psa v1801, jtr 18inch captivator, or svs 13 inch plus/ultra...mainly due to the integrated dsp (do you guys think it who'll be worth it?)

Any advice?
Yes I do use a sub with them when watching movies. For music I like to use them without a sub.

I set the crossover at 80hz and it seems right.

Are you planning to watch movies with the subwoofer? Without a pre processor you wont get a proper .1 channel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I do use a sub with them when watching movies. For music I like to use them without a sub.

I set the crossover at 80hz and it seems right.

Are you planning to watch movies with the subwoofer? Without a pre processor you wont get a proper .1 channel.
Yes i do plan on using time for movies once in a while. Why do you choose to not use a sub for music?

Getting pre processor seems like a lot to invest... is it really necessary?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes i do plan on using time for movies once in a while. Why do you choose to not use a sub for music?

Getting pre processor seems like a lot to invest... is it really necessary?
If you want the full movie experience, so a proper LFE channel, then you need a pre processing unit. Without it movies will still sound great tho, but you will be missing out on some low rumbling. Which imo would be a shame with the subs you mentioned earlier in your post.

Doesn't have to be that expensive. I use a Marantz 1506, which works fine. Just connect the speaker with rca cabels to the Marantz. You just need front L and R pre outs and bass management. For instance a Oppo 103 would also work.

The reason I don't use a subwoofer is because I like to listen solely to the Kefs. This might be because I'am still in the ''honeymoon phase'' or the bass output is fine for my needs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you want the full movie experience, so a proper LFE channel, then you need a pre processing unit. Without it movies will still sound great tho, but you will be missing out on some low rumbling. Which imo would be a shame with the subs you mentioned earlier in your post.

Doesn't have to be that expensive. I use a Marantz 1506, which works fine. Just connect the speaker with rca cabels to the Marantz. You just need front L and R pre outs and bass management. For instance a Oppo 103 would also work.

The reason I don't use a subwoofer is because I like to listen solely to the Kefs. This might be because I'am still in the ''honeymoon phase'' or the bass output is fine for my needs.
Hi there. Could you explain how a pre-processing unit works? I'm hoping to improve these speakers for movies and games.

A little more information: I have the LS50 Wireless speakers connected via USB (Computer) and via Optical-Toslink (PlayStation 4). I bought the speakers primarily for music and for that they sound incredible when paired with my subwoofer (SVS SB-1000). However, movies and games sound... off and just not really great. It's hard to describe the sound except that the speakers sound better in 2.0 mode without the subwoofer when I'm playing games or watching movies, ESPECIALLY on the Optical-Toslink connection. I'm thinking of returning the subwoofer but would rather keep it if I can figure out a solution for improving 2.1 sound on movies and games. Would a pre-processing unit help here and how would I set it up?

EDIT: How can I maintain the 80Hz high and low pass filter when using one of the pre-processing units?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
105 Posts
The sound is ''off'' for movies and games because when you connect a subwoofer to the kefs the .1 channel is lost ( LFE, which includes the rumble ). The multi channel signal gets converted to a 2.0 signal, and adding a subwoofer just increases the low freq output. That's why music still sounds good. ( Music is mostly recorded in 2.0)

In order to get the desired subwoofer output you need a unit which sends the .1 channel to the subwoofer. I chose a marantz 1506 to do that.

I connect the kefs with a RCA cable to the marantz pre outs front L and R. So now the subwoofer and the kefs are connected to the marantz. Now you need to do a few more steps:

- Go to the DB settings on the marantz (for the test tones)
- Set the receiver volume to 0 db ( scale –79.5 dB to 18.0 dB )
- Then increase the volume of the Kefs (with the Kef remote), and use a DB meter (c weighted) to set it at 74-75db.
- And in my case I set the subwoofer to 78-80db to get the desired output.

Also don't forget to set the crossover. I set the crossover to 80hz. (on the marantz receiver)

After these steps I only use the remote of the receiver to adjust the volume.

I use a svs pb2000 with the kefs for movies and I must say it sounds great. The actives hold their own alot better compared with my previous passive ls50's

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The sound is ''off'' for movies and games because when you connect a subwoofer to the kefs the .1 channel is lost ( LFE, which includes the rumble ). The multi channel signal gets converted to a 2.0 signal, and adding a subwoofer just increases the low freq output. That's why music still sounds good. ( Music is mostly recorded in 2.0)

In order to get the desired subwoofer output you need a unit which sends the .1 channel to the subwoofer. I chose a marantz 1506 to do that.

I connect the kefs with a RCA cable to the marantz pre outs front L and R. So now the subwoofer and the kefs are connected to the marantz. Now you need to do a few more steps:

- Go to the DB settings on the marantz (for the test tones)
- Set the receiver volume to 0 db ( scale –79.5 dB to 18.0 dB )
- Then increase the volume of the Kefs (with the Kef remote), and use a DB meter (c weighted) to set it at 74-75db.
- And in my case I set the subwoofer to 78-80db to get the desired output.

Also don't forget to set the crossover. I set the crossover to 80hz. (on the marantz receiver)

After these steps I only use the remote of the receiver to adjust the volume.

I use a svs pb2000 with the kefs for movies and I must say it sounds great. The actives hold their own alot better compared with my previous passive ls50's
seems like a headache balancing volume output from the Marantz and KEF. Is there any voltage passed in the pre out? Can you simply put max volume on the receiver and simply adjust volume on the KEF?

Also, can you solve this problem by connecting the speakers to a pc soundcard that has RCA, or adapters? this way you can connect the sub and speakers to the soundcard, which should send the proper signal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't think that works. When you increase the volume to max volume the subwoofer will be pretty loud. And I think there's no voltage on the pre outs, but not 100% sure about that.

But yes, it's indeed a hassle. My plan was to downsize just to the kefs and a sub, but that didnt work out obviously. (For movies)

Back to your last question:

I have no experience with connecting them to a soundcard on a pc. But since you only need a pre unit which can send the signal to both the kefs and the subwoofer it sounds like it could work.

I wish they had a proper .1 channel. Would've made it much easier...

·
Registered
28 Posts
It indeed seems like a headache to get it all to work properly. I think I'll try to use the LS50 Wireless for a few more days without the subwoofer to see if I still like it (sub isn't really necessary as this is for a home office). But, at this point, I'm also considering a few passive speakers (perhaps Dynaudio Emit 20). I wish the LS50 had an LFE out because it's so convenient; I love being able to adjust volume directly from my keyboard, for example.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah...I don't know why they made such a bad decision for an apparently all-inclusive speaker set. Very disappointed.

So the ls50 sub out is just a line-out?

We should not experience any loss of a channel for music, right?
What if we just watch movies in stereo mode...will this solve the problem? Most movies I download have an option to convert stereo.

Lastly, if I adjust the sub volume to match the level I want with the ls50, will the sub volume scale when I change volume on the ls50, or will I have to do it manually on the sub whenever I want to change volume?

·
Registered
105 Posts
When you connect a subwoofer to the kefs the volume of the subwoofer will scale.

I even had a call with kefs about the sub out. They made it quite clear that their focus was music and not providing an all in one solution for home cinema. And since music is 2.0 (excluding the 5.1 music blu rays) the sub port is fine for that.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I don't have any experience with this but I would guess---

1)If the PC/PS4 is set to downmix the 5.1/7.1 channel audio to 2 channel the "LFE" is already mixed into the 2 channel material being sent to the KEF. So the KEF should pass that info on to the subwoofer via its sub output.

2)If the PC/PS4 is sending a 2.1 signal(Optical?) to the KEF speakers they should have the ability to process that(downmix) in some fashion so the subout(on the KEF) includes the original LFE signal being sent to the sub.

In either case the LFE channel is getting to the subwoofer.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
28 Posts

1)If the PC/PS4 is set to downmix the 5.1/7.1 channel audio to 2 channel the "LFE" is already mixed into the 2 channel material being sent to the KEF. So the KEF should pass that info on to the subwoofer via its sub output.

2)If the PC/PS4 is sending a 2.1 signal(Optical?) to the KEF speakers they should have the ability to process that(downmix) in some fashion so the subout(on the KEF) includes the original LFE signal being sent to the sub.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Hi Tom, thanks so much for this information! A couple quick questions:

1. The PS4 is set to Linear PCM sound mode to output a lossless signal via Optical-Toslink directly to the KEF speakers. I believe that Toslink can only only do 2.0 channels lossless (PCM) so should I change this setting? The other formats include Dolby 5.1 which is lossy over Toslink but I'm not sure if it applies to my situation (i.e. speakers with subwoofer line out).

2. I'm not sure a 5.1 signal can be transferred over USB (PC) lossless-ly so I just go with the stereo option. Should I change this as well?

·
Registered
105 Posts

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Sadly, when I tried to downmix from several sources ( downmix from blu ray player and pc ) the result was never satisfying. For my test track I used the Incredible Hulk and Godzilla, where you can easily hear if the footsteps produce rumbling or not. With the downmix version there never was the rumble I was after.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sadly, when I tried to downmix from several sources ( downmix from blu ray player and pc ) the result was never satisfying. For my test track I used the Incredible Hulk and Godzilla, where you can easily hear if the footsteps produce rumbling or not. With the downmix version there never was the rumble I was after.
If you have a desktop pc that has a sound card, you may able to connect the ls50 to the line out of the sound card, going to aux in. Then you can also connect the subwoofer to the sub-out of your soundcard. Then use soundcard software to sned the signal - you can even virtualize surround sound. The lfe should not be lost in this case. This is what I plan on trying, when my sub gets here. I am hoping it works.

The entire issue rests on Ls50 dropping the .1 channel, so this should solve the problem.

·
Registered
239 Posts
New KEF LS50 Wireless owner here. I haven't received them yet and am wondering which sub is a good match for them if I even add a sub? They will be used only for music.

Thanks for any advice on where to start.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New KEF LS50 Wireless owner here. I haven't received them yet and am wondering which sub is a good match for them if I even add a sub? They will be used only for music.

Thanks for any advice on where to start.
I am using the PSA 3000i with the ls50W.

These speakers really benefit from the use of a sub. The sub I bought is a bit extreme...but I am an extreme person. I think it is worth it. It is a very musical and clean sub (but it is HUGE).

The sub blends very well with the speakers. Not getting a sub at all with these speakers may seem like a disservice.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I am using the PSA 3000i with the ls50W.

These speakers really benefit from the use of a sub. The sub I bought is a bit extreme...but I am an extreme person. I think it is worth it. It is a very musical and clean sub (but it is HUGE).

The sub blends very well with the speakers. Not getting a sub at all with these speakers may seem like a disservice.
I don't have any personal experience with the 50s that I can recall at the moment but just based on the measurements they really start to strain much under 100-110hz. They look excellent otherwise and KEF is known for excellent design/sound quality. So I'd agree. Always add a quality sub to them and it should sound veyr, very good..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with the 50s that I can recall at the moment but just based on the measurements they really start to strain much under 100-110hz. They look excellent otherwise and KEF is known for excellent design/sound quality. So I'd agree. Always add a quality sub to them and it should sound veyr, very good..:)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
I had contact with Kef and they sent me a graph of the ls50's wireless . I'am afraid I'am not allowed to share it. but the graph is alot better than the measurements of the passive ls50. While the passive started to drop at about 100hz the active go pretty straight till 45hz. No drops or peaks till that frequency.

And how they did this.

'' Beside this, there is also more information about how the system is driven – LS50W vs LS50 passive.
On the LS50W we can offer more bass because we can constantly monitor the demand on the LMF driver.
When the demand is too high our DSP steps in to reduce the bass extension and protect the driver from damage.
It makes a big difference because the majority of the time users don't play the speakers close to the maximum.
You can't do the same thing with a passive speaker. ''

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think I'm going to roll with a SVS SB1000. This is for a desktop setup in my man cave so I'm sure the SVS will be more than sufficient, maybe overkill. The KEFs will be sitting on IsoAcoustics Aperta stands about 55" apart. The SVS will be under the desk in the middle (fairly open under there).

Has anyone compared the SB12-NSD with the SB1000? There are some good deals out there on leftover ones ($399). I was even thinking of getting two of those for my family room KEF Reference Model 2s to replace my single HSU VTF-3 MK 2.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts