AVS Forum banner

21041 - 21060 of 21150 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Noob question. How hard would it be to get replacement meta drivers (In the future)? I mean say some one just bought r5s. I’m sure they’ll be upgrading crossovers and what not but, hmmmm could it just be plug and play and achieve the same ‘greatness’
I think I’d rather just buy a new properly-engineered pair of KEFs instead of going Frankenstein and putting LS50 Meta Uni-Qs into a different pair of loudspeakers.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I got some KEF R7s and the plan is to use them in a 9.1.6 system. I'm considering the CI160ER as surrounds and in-ceiling speakers. Are they considered decent? I think they're quite old but I'm not sure. They're on sale for like 75$ a piece which seems incredible?
I was considering the Ci160ER's as well given their current sale price to supplement my KEF Q series 7.1 setup, but after listening to them I thought they were just okay. They'd probably be alright for Atmos/DTS:X I guess, but after spending a ton of time reviewing the different Ci series options I opted to order the Ci200QR's instead.

The Ci160RR-THX would probably be the best match for your R7's as they were just released earlier this year and probably have an updated Uni-Q, but they're a pretty pricey option for Atmos/DTS:X height channels.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Noob question. How hard would it be to get replacement meta drivers (In the future)? I mean say some one just bought r5s. I’m sure they’ll be upgrading crossovers and what not but, hmmmm could it just be plug and play and achieve the same ‘greatness’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only way it would work is if you could just drop in a new driver with the existing crossover and have it be an improvement, highly unlikely. The new LS50 meta whitepaper shows that the driver was basically redesigned because of the meta change and the crossover is different as well since the tweeter response changes so much. I was disappointed that the white paper doesn't actually show a graph with and without the meta absorber like they do for some other features of the UniQ driver.

I wouldn't worry about it with your R5, honestly the biggest sound quality improvement you can make is to apply some PEQ filters once we get good measurements of the R5. I think someone said they offered them to Amir at ASR so we might get them within a few months.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I was considering the Ci160ER's as well given their current sale price to supplement my KEF Q series 7.1 setup, but after listening to them I thought they were just okay. They'd probably be alright for Atmos/DTS:X I guess, but after spending a ton of time reviewing the different Ci series options I opted to order the Ci200QR's instead.

The Ci160RR-THX would probably be the best match for your R7's as they were just released earlier this year and probably have an updated Uni-Q, but they're a pretty pricey option for Atmos/DTS:X height channels.
Yeah I would love the high end stuff but they're 10 times the cost! I don't have high expectations for ATMOS. But I'm also considering the Ci160ERs for my side surrounds. Maybe they're not good enough I dunno.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was considering the Ci160ER's as well. Who has them on sale?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Noob question. How hard would it be to get replacement meta drivers (In the future)? I mean say some one just bought r5s. I’m sure they’ll be upgrading crossovers and what not but, hmmmm could it just be plug and play and achieve the same ‘greatness’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are there 3rd party companies that are selling Meta absorption disks using 3D plastics or some other material?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
In Canada they're on sale from KEF and sold at Visions and I think 2001 Audio video.

I'm tempted by the sale but I' worried they're from too "low" of a line of speakers.
If you're worried about it, you'll probably trick yourself into thinking they aren't good enough if you do get them.

I'd suggest they're good enough for your overhead channels, and you might want to go further up the line for your ear-level surround channels. The Ci4100QL would work well as ear level in-wall surrounds to match your R7s. The margins are pretty good on the KEF architectural gear, so you should be able to get a decent discount.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The R series was updated quite recently so I doubt they'd update so soon. The upgrade to meta would be a little more complex than a simple plug and play, but you can always contact Kef to inquire.
I actually did contact KEF about an update to the current R series with the meta technology. They said that the technology will not come as an update to the current R series and a new series will not be released anytime soon since their products usually get updated every 6-10 years. Makes sense to me but I don't know how reliable an answer from one random customer service rep is.

I was also wondering if any of you guys are using the old LS50 as surrounds? I am considering the Q350/150 or R8a as surrounds, however the current prices of the LS50 are very tempting (666 Euro for a pair in Europe). Is there a big difference compared to the Q350/150/R8a or does it not really matter for surrounds?

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you're worried about it, you'll probably trick yourself into thinking they aren't good enough if you do get them.

I'd suggest they're good enough for your overhead channels, and you might want to go further up the line for your ear-level surround channels. The Ci4100QL would work well as ear level in-wall surrounds to match your R7s. The margins are pretty good on the KEF architectural gear, so you should be able to get a decent discount.
Thanks man! I'll probably pass on this sale due to WAF but I' leaning on getting these cheaper ones for ceiling and more expensive ones for surround.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello - has anyone encountered harsh dialogue on the Q250C?

Currently comparing Kef Q150s/Q250c against the Bowers Wilkins 607s and HTM6 center for L/R/C in a 5.1 setup. Both sound amazing for music, and I like the Kefs in general over the B&W for movies, EXCEPT for dialogue. The Q250c often has harsh dialogue, almost like subtle reverb where things sound slightly echo-y. Encoutering this on a wide range of content, from 4k Blu-Rays to cable. For example, was watching Archer last night on cable (not a perfect mix by any means, but still) - every voice sounded almost painful to me, whereas I did not get that when I rewatched on the HTM6.

I've tried two different Q250cs, so I don't think I have a bad model. It's sitting in a BDI cabinet, but even if I move it out, I still get the harshness. I haven't seen any other reviews or comments discuss this - am I just unlucky in my space? System is running on a Denon X3700h.

I'm considering trying to jam the Q650c into to my cabinet, or even going up a step to the R2c, but I'm not sure how either of those will match against the Q150. Mostly, remain confused that I can't get good dialogue out of the Q250c, that seems to be a fairly well-regarded center. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
52 Posts
KEF having their 59th birthday sale. From and email I got:

“Available for a limited time, order Blade TWO and KEF will offer a complimentary upgrade to Blade...”

oh good, now i can finally pull the trigger on those. :D

·
Registered
264 Posts

Currently comparing Kef Q150s/Q250c against the Bowers Wilkins 607s and HTM6 center for L/R/C in a 5.1 setup. Both sound amazing for music, and I like the Kefs in general over the B&W for movies, EXCEPT for dialogue. The Q250c often has harsh dialogue, almost like subtle reverb where things sound slightly echo-y. Encoutering this on a wide range of content, from 4k Blu-Rays to cable. For example, was watching Archer last night on cable (not a perfect mix by any means, but still) - every voice sounded almost painful to me, whereas I did not get that when I rewatched on the HTM6.

I've tried two different Q250cs, so I don't think I have a bad model. It's sitting in a BDI cabinet, but even if I move it out, I still get the harshness. I haven't seen any other reviews or comments discuss this - am I just unlucky in my space? System is running on a Denon X3700h.

I'm considering trying to jam the Q650c into to my cabinet, or even going up a step to the R2c, but I'm not sure how either of those will match against the Q150. Mostly, remain confused that I can't get good dialogue out of the Q250c, that seems to be a fairly well-regarded center. Any help would be appreciated!
I have the 250c, outside a cabinet with the ls50s, seems fine to me, no harsh dialogue, running denon 3400.
What do you mean by harsh? I do find it a little bassy, I had the 600 it was just to big was running it with the q100s, nothing harsh with it either. sorry cant help you more. I assume you have run audyssey and crossovers are good.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts

Since you set the system up with Audyssey I would check in the equalizers in the speaker > Audyssey setup>check results. If there are a lot of bars above 0 after about 200Hz or so it is boosting and that will make it sound harsh, you can also check by temporary disabling Audyssey and seeing if it helps. If this is the problem, the only thing you can do is download the Audyssey Mult eq app and limit correction to like 300Hz so it doesn't mess with the highs, probably a good idea to do that anyway. Audyssey is never really going to sound good in the highs because the target curve isn't what most people prefer.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
I actually did contact KEF about an update to the current R series with the meta technology. They said that the technology will not come as an update to the current R series and a new series will not be released anytime soon since their products usually get updated every 6-10 years. Makes sense to me but I don't know how reliable an answer from one random customer service rep is.

I was also wondering if any of you guys are using the old LS50 as surrounds? I am considering the Q350/150 or R8a as surrounds, however the current prices of the LS50 are very tempting (666 Euro for a pair in Europe). Is there a big difference compared to the Q350/150/R8a or does it not really matter for surrounds?
A pair Q150's would be plenty for surround duty. That said, that's a pretty good price for LS50'S so may be worth getting. They would be a waste of talent as surrounds, but can easily be upgraded to a future desktop or bedroom setup. Here in Canada, LS50's are selling for the same price as Q350's.

·
Premium Member
3,984 Posts
KEF having their 59th birthday sale. From and email I got:

“Available for a limited time, order Blade TWO and KEF will offer a complimentary upgrade to Blade...”

oh good, now i can finally pull the trigger on those. :D
Seems like Blades are likely next for their new meta material.....

·
Registered
8,385 Posts

Did you run room correction (audyssey, YPAO etc...) and just kept the default settings?
If you have room for it and are still within your return window, don't mess around and just exchange it for a Q650c. You'll be much happier with performance.

21041 - 21060 of 21150 Posts