AVS Forum banner

21061 - 21080 of 21153 Posts

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
Seems like Blades are likely next for their new meta material.....
The Reference is about due for an update.

·
Registered
52 Posts
considering the blades and reference are all build to order, i expect they will both start using a upgraded version of their uni-q very soon.

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
The free ("free") Blade upgrade is a nice offer, but how about the free R2c with purchase of a pair of R's and a sub? That's actually a pretty practical offer.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
considering the blades and reference are all build to order, i expect they will both start using a upgraded version of their uni-q very soon.
You can't just drop in a significantly different driver without changing the cabinet. There's a lot of testing they'd need to do, it'd be more profitable to give them a new name.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The free ("free") Blade upgrade is a nice offer, but how about the free R2c with purchase of a pair of R's and a sub? That's actually a pretty practical offer.
What's that deal? I'm not in the US.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What's that deal? I'm not in the US.
If you buy the blade two, you will get a free upgrade to the blade. You will also get a free R2c with the purchase of any pair of R floorstanders (R5/R7/R11) and a subwoofer. The third deal is a free wireless kit with the purchase of a subwoofer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I recently moved into a new house and the space I'll be setting everything up is 17' x 18'. However it's an open space where one wall is 13' and the other is 15'. I'm going to be moving to R7s + R2C in the front. Since I no longer desire to have speaker wire ran across the room the installer is suggesting moving to in ceilings for both Atmos and surround duties. Currently the plan is for 4 Ci200QRs; 2 for Atmos and 2 for Surrounds. I know it's recommended to have surrounds at ear level, but I imagine having Uni-Q drivers should help in that regards. With that said I'd be stepping down from 4 Atmos speakers to only 2. Not sure if that would be sufficient or should I try to fit 2 extra Ci200QRs or move to 6 Ci160QRs since I have concerns about the amount of space.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
I recently moved into a new house and the space I'll be setting everything up is 17' x 18'. However it's an open space where one wall is 13' and the other is 15'. I'm going to be moving to R7s + R2C in the front. Since I no longer desire to have speaker wire ran across the room the installer is suggesting moving to in ceilings for both Atmos and surround duties. Currently the plan is for 4 Ci200QRs; 2 for Atmos and 2 for Surrounds. I know it's recommended to have surrounds at ear level, but I imagine having Uni-Q drivers should help in that regards. With that said I'd be stepping down from 4 Atmos speakers to only 2. Not sure if that would be sufficient or should I try to fit 2 extra Ci200QRs or move to 6 Ci160QRs since I have concerns about the amount of space.

It's been said that in ceiling surrounds diminish effectiveness of the atmos channels due to lack of separation. I'm not saying you won't get answers here, but you may get more detailed explanations from the very knowledgeable and experienced members by posting this in the general speaker forum since this would be a standard and not exclusive to Kef.

Reactions: Cordy

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's been said that in ceiling surrounds diminish effectiveness of the atmos channels due to lack of separation. I'm not saying you won't get answers here, but you may get more detailed explanations from the very knowledgeable and experienced members by posting this in the general speaker forum since this would be a standard and not exclusive to Kef.
Thanks as always for the advice pase22. Figured I'd start here since I would be using KEFs but I can spin up a thread posing the same question to gain additional feedback. To be honest I was mostly worried about losing the effectiveness of the surround that I hadn't even considered the fact that if the ceiling surrounds are active and there is also something using the Atmos speakers that it might blend together. I assume there is nothing stopping one from taking one of those speakers and using it in a wall if needed? I see no reason to use something like the Ci4100QLs for Surrounds on the wall.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Thanks as always for the advice pase22. Figured I'd start here since I would be using KEFs but I can spin up a thread posing the same question to gain additional feedback. To be honest I was mostly worried about losing the effectiveness of the surround that I hadn't even considered the fact that if the ceiling surrounds are active and there is also something using the Atmos speakers that it might blend together. I assume there is nothing stopping one from taking one of those speakers and using it in a wall if needed? I see no reason to use something like the Ci4100QLs for Surrounds on the wall.

For rear surrounds (assuming there's a wall present) you could possibly do Q50/R50's and mount them higher up on the wall as they're naturally angled when flush mounted. While that's still not ideal from an Atmos standpoint, at least they would be closer to the positioning of ear-level surrounds than in-ceilings. Additionally, you could also still run the cabling for them through the ceiling.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
For rear surrounds (assuming there's a wall present) you could possibly do Q50/R50's and mount them higher up on the wall as they're naturally angled when flush mounted. While that's still not ideal from an Atmos standpoint, at least they would be closer to the positioning of ear-level surrounds than in-ceilings. Additionally, you could also still run the cabling for them through the ceiling.
The surrounds should be no more than half way up the wall if you're doing atmos. Using Q50's high onn the wall could be a good solution if doing 5.1/7.1.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm using Q50s at eye level for 5.1 surround. No Atmos yet.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I actually had two pairs of Q50As sitting on my fronts and surrounds. Ultimately I've opted for another pair of speakers but will place them in the wall for surround duties.
The surrounds should be no more than half way up the wall if you're doing atmos. Using Q50's high onn the wall could be a good solution if doing 5.1/7.1.
Thanks again. Got lots of feedback as you suggested. Spoke to installer and decided on leaving ceiling for Atmos and putting surrounds in the wall. Of course the other can of worms I opened up was the placement since as we all know it's taboo to place your TV above the fireplace. I have some time before the install to contemplate that. Ultimately it's going to also depend on those walls. The room above is a bathroom with a walk in closet so there is a possibility there may be piping in the way that may impact placement.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hello! Im considering KEF in walls specifically the 3160s or the 4000s to mount in a soffit above a ceiling recessed drop down screen in the middle of a large open family room. The speakers in the soffit will be about 9 feet high with the listeners sitting about 14 feet back. Im concerned with the off-axis listening position but it sounds like the KEFs can deliver in this sort of set up? Would the 4000s be able to get loud enough? Is it worth stepping up to the 3160s knowing its a untreated and open room? I know Im not going to get dedicated/treated room results.

Other options would be something like a triad silver in ceiling LCR which has 45 degree angeled drivers toward the listening position.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Will KEF release META version for KEF R Series especially the R11?
Not likely to get to the R series until after they apply it to the other "flagship" speakers, Blade and Blade 2. Next would likely be an updated Reference series. By then it could be time for a refresh of the Q series, as the R series was updated two years after the Q series.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know some people here switched from the SVS SB2000 to the Kube 10b/12b and like the KEF subs better. Did anyone compare the SVS SB2000 Pro to the Kube 10b? I am currently deciding between the 2 and am really unsure about which one to get. Are there even any big differences between the SB2000 and SB2000 Pro?

21061 - 21080 of 21153 Posts