AVS Forum banner

21501 - 21520 of 21566 Posts

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Hi mates,

I'm currently trying to improve the front and central speakers and I would like to know your advice.

Currently I have in a non-dedicated room with a marantz SR5013, a kef iq5 columns, a central KEF iq6c, a rear kef eggs and a KEF PSW2500 sub. All this in a 22m2 room and I am super high satisfied with the whole for cinema (70%) and very satisfied for music, although I have to add sub with the KEF iq5.

Now I would like to upgrade and improve with the new kef q750 and preferible with q250c instead of huge q650c. I have listened the new Q550 and I like the sound, but seems if I choose q750 to improve bass, it would fits better with q650c for the central.

Do you think that the Q250c improve my current KEF iq6c and fits with q750? Has anyone been able to listen q250c and q650c to compare them? It worries me about the weight of q250c that is less that my current iq6c and over the specs less power.

OLD kef iq6cNEW kef q250cNEW kef q650c
  • Enclosure type: 3 Way bass Reflex
  • Dimensions (H x W x D): 165 x 512 x 255mm
  • Weight: 8.9kg (19.6 lbs)
  • Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
  • Amplifier Requirements: 15-150W
  • Frequency response: 65Hz to 27kHz +/-3.0dB
  • Sensitivity: 90dB at 1m for 2.83V
  • Sensitivity (dB) 87
  • Impedance (ohms) 8
  • Power Rating (Watts) 100
  • Enclosure Type: 2 Way Infinite baffle (sealed)
  • Weight (KG) 7.5
  • Freq Response (Hz) 68 - 28,000
  • Dimensions WxDxH (mm) 525 x 214 x 180
  • Dimensions WxHxD (mm) 629 x 214 x 304
  • Sensitivity (dB) 87
  • Impedance (ohms) 8
  • Power Rating (Watts) 150
  • Dimensions WxDxH (mm) 629 x 304 x 214
  • Weight (KG) 13.6
  • Freq Response (Hz) 64 - 28,000
  • Enclosure Type: 2.5 Way Infinite baffle (sealed)

I wait your wise comments and recommendations, thank you very much for your help!
I Personally prefer the Q500/550 to the 700/750's for music, but wouldn't trade either of them with my LS50's and dual subs. If you want to improve bass, subwoofers will play a lot more efficiently and with better accuracy than most towers in the Q price range.

The Q250c is nothing more than a single coaxial driver with dual radiators so it's basically a modified Q150. The Q650c would be a much better option for your HT needs. Nothing wrong with just keeping the IQ6 either.

I'd address your subwoofer situation first, then re-evalute because you have a good foundation IMO. Good subs that can adequately pressurize the room may be all you really need.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks @chndmrl for your reply. Yes, seems that q650c is the key and I'm starting assuming the hige size if I want to keep KEF brand.

I found a interesting and deep reviews where compare old kef iq series with Kef Q 2011 (⭐⭐⭐ ⭐ ):

And a second part with a review of the current and improved Kef Q 2017 ( ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ) and a mention to the kef iq6c:

"In swapping between the Q650c, old iQ6c, and a $200 center channel from another brand, returning to the Q650c is a delight thanks to its accuracy. You can even set them to "large" in your AVR's speaker settings with a 60Hz crossover and come away with no distortion. That's impressive. In an age where most people (understandably) go for a simple sound bar system, three cheers for a nice, beefy center channel that can keep up with its badass tower brothers."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks @pase22 for your advices and your comments. What should be a good subwoofer for my set up and 70% cinema / 30% music? I need white finish colour preferably

Do you know why over the paper, Kef Q250c has lowest performance that Q200c? More or less same size but different weight 16.5 lbs vs 24.25 lbs.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks @pase22 for your advices and your comments. What should be a good subwoofer for my set up and 70% cinema / 30% music? I need white finish colour preferably

Do you know why over the paper, Kef Q250c has lowest performance that Q200c? More or less same size but different weight 16.5 lbs vs 24.25 lbs.
IIRC, the Q200c has one active bass driver and one passive radiator that is paired to the mid/bass driver on the uni-q array. That might explain the difference in performance.

I have a Q200c paired with Q750 towers, and I think it sounds fine. I might have gotten a 650c if it weren't so darn huge. As it is, it's very difficult to find a TV stand that my wife doesn't think is ugly that will fit even the Q200c. For the 650c I think I'd have to have it built custom, because 98% of TV stands expect you to be using the TV's built-in speakers, or possibly a sound bar.

As to what subwoofer to buy, I'm a huge fan of Rythmik subs. They have a variety of vented and sealed options, and most are available in white. Vented is supposed to be better for HT and worse for music; personally, I'm of the opinion that what works for music should work for HT, so I have a sealed Rythmik (the L12).

By the way, that sub (the L12) is probably too small for the room I have it in. But it was what I could afford at the time, and I think it sounds great. People on this forum will always push you towards buying a bigger subwoofer, but IMHO subwoofer quality is more important than raw power. I've heard a lot of very loud subwoofers in my day that sound absolutely atrocious. Always go for quality over quantity, especially if your budget is modest.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts

You would be better off with a single Q350 over the Q250c. Youtuber "SpareChange" did a Kef Q350, Q250c review and found the 250 lacking and much preferred a single 350 for the center. Even if you have to buy the pair it's still less than the 250c (at the current 350 sale price).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi @ballantyne thanks for your reply.

Yes, it can explain the difference in performance in the current Q250c, 2 bass drivers vs auxiliary bass radiators:

"The KEF Q200C uses a 5.25 Uni-Q driver array, flanked by two 5.25 bass drivers, to properly fill your home theater with an undistorted and incredibly full sound."

"Auxiliary Bass Radiators for smooth response
Rather than using a restrictive bass port, the KEF Q250c utilizes twin ABRs (Auxiliary Bass Radiators) for bass reinforcement. These make use of the internal air pressure, boosting the bass output at all volume levels, to deliver a full range response with lifelike depth. The lack of a rear bass port makes it easier to place against a wall or in a cabinet."

Marketing power! XD About subwoofers, I will have a look to the Rythmick brand, another good suggested subs are SVS. I'm with you, always quality over quantity, less is more!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I will have a look to the Rythmick brand, another good suggested subs are SVS. I'm with you, always quality over quantity, less is more!
Between the two: Rythmik, hands down. You're going to get a lot more sub per dollar than you would the SVS, but the SVS isn't a terrible choice, either. For 70% HT, you might want to lean towards a ported sub, but I personally have a sealed design because I prefer the form factor, and sealed subs tend to exhibit cleaner, faster, tighter bass than the ported subs (but that all depends on who you talk to, really).

I got myself some Q750s and the Q650c back in June/July, and have been very happy with them - so much so that it quelled my urge to upgrade. As others have noted, though, the Q650c is a beast of a speaker. Make sure you have the space. Another option could be to get a pair of Q350s/Q150s, and use one as a CC. If you get two pairs, you can have the exact same speaker across the front stage, which is acoustically ideal.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
They could have and should have compromised in a R3c version, which would be the R version of the Q650 with new drivers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They could have and should have compromised in a R3c version, which would be the R version of the Q650 with new drivers.
They use 1,3,5,7,9,11 for regular speakers.
2,4,6 c’s for centers.
50 & 8 a’s for atmos modules.

6 is bigger version of 2, 4 is the beast with 4 woofer drivers.

There were 4 ways some time ago but not anymore.

I agree, I would have gone for a r4c or r6c instead of R2c, if would have exist.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
They use 1,3,5,7,9,11 for regular speakers.
2,4,6 c’s for centers.
50 & 8 a’s for atmos modules.

6 is bigger version of 2, 4 is the beast with 4 woofer drivers.

There were 4 ways some time ago but not anymore.

I agree, I would have gone for a r4c or r6c instead of R2c, if would have exist.
It’s really the 5” vs 6.5” drivers that bothers me. I would have loved to have my center crossed over at 60Hz to match my R11s main and R3s side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,582 Posts

A little while back I experimented with using 3 Q100's across the front to satisfy my curiosity. The Q100 as center did very well by providing clear dialog and excellent detail as you would expect from Kef. The Q200c did sound fuller and presented a larger soundstage. The Q200c is a 3 way design with a seperate low frequency driver vs the single coaxial driver of a Q100 so no surprise there. The latest Q250C is a single coaxial drive so that would explain the performance difference. If you're set on a Q250c, it would likely be more cost effective to buy a pair of Q150's and using one as center. If you can fit the Q650c, that would be your best option.

For 70% movies a ported sub(s) would be a better option. Subwoofers see the entire open space, not just the listening area so knowing your room size would help. Availability and budget would also be a factor, though needing a white sub would limit your options.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does the KEF LSX sounds similar to the LS50 Wireless 1 or is the LS50 Wireless highly superior in everyway over the LSX?(Except for the lack of Airplay on the LS50 Wireless 1)
I have both, and the LS50W I are a huge jump over the LSX. much fuller sound and bigger and more immersive soundstage. The LSX are good for a small room, like a kitchen or office desk, where the LS50W would be too much.

the LSX need to be closer together to get good imaging, say 35-40”, and want the listener to be close.

the LS50W can be further apart and give a full image in a good sized living room space.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Ok folks, for reference the sub is a kef kf92. 85' screen and 9060 def tech speakers im ditching for kef. Few questions. R3 will it sound empty coming from towers. I think I'm ok space wise on r5's but too tight for 7's I think. I don't have room for dual subs the other side is impossible in my room. Any advice appreciated. Will be doing this soon so I'll update what I choose. cheers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
View attachment 3078190
Ok folks, for reference the sub is a kef kf92. 85' screen and 9060 def tech speakers im ditching for kef. Few questions. R3 will it sound empty coming from towers. I think I'm ok space wise on r5's but too tight for 7's I think. I don't have room for dual subs the other side is impossible in my room. Any advice appreciated. Will be doing this soon so I'll update what I choose. cheers.
My understanding of the debate between bookshelf vs. tower speakers is that towers have two main advantages over bookshelves: low frequency reproduction and output level. A tower speaker, generally speaking, does better at sub-80hz frequencies than a bookshelf, so if you didn't have a subwoofer, I'd say go tower any day.

With a subwoofer, in most setups, the sub is playing everything below 80hz anyway, so that advantage doesn't apply in your case.

A tower speaker, generally speaking, can play louder and fill a larger room than can a bookshelf speaker. But since the portion of your room that I can see doesn't look that big, you will probably be perfectly happy with the R3.

Some people argue that a tower can produce cleaner sound because it has more drivers sharing the load. All things being equal, they are probably right. But IMHO nice speakers can make up a lot of that difference, and the R3 has 3 drivers, making that point mostly moot in this case.

I don't have any personal experience with the R series, and my two front speakers are Q750's, so I'm mostly repeating what I've read and not speaking from experience.

Off topic, but, I like the ceiling panels you have in that room. I may have to steal that idea. Is that just custom-cut plywood nailed to the ceiling and painted?

21501 - 21520 of 21566 Posts