AVS Forum banner

21521 - 21540 of 21566 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My understanding of the debate between bookshelf vs. tower speakers is that towers have two main advantages over bookshelves: low frequency reproduction and output level. A tower speaker, generally speaking, does better at sub-80hz frequencies than a bookshelf, so if you didn't have a subwoofer, I'd say go tower any day.

With a subwoofer, in most setups, the sub is playing everything below 80hz anyway, so that advantage doesn't apply in your case.

A tower speaker, generally speaking, can play louder and fill a larger room than can a bookshelf speaker. But since the portion of your room that I can see doesn't look that big, you will probably be perfectly happy with the R3.

Some people argue that a tower can produce cleaner sound because it has more drivers sharing the load. All things being equal, they are probably right. But IMHO nice speakers can make up a lot of that difference, and the R3 has 3 drivers, making that point mostly moot in this case.

I don't have any personal experience with the R series, and my two front speakers are Q750's, so I'm mostly repeating what I've read and not speaking from experience.

Off topic, but, I like the ceiling panels you have in that room. I may have to steal that idea. Is that just custom-cut plywood nailed to the ceiling and painted?
I really wish I knew on the ceiling. I love it but to be honest it's original to the house and built in 1955. Walls and ceiling are plaster so I'm not sure how it was accomplished. Thanks for the input! Cheers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m asking same question to myself as well.

R3 or r5.

Since I have a sub, I would like to get r3 but due children and safety of them tower looks more appealing. There is a price difference but it is actually lower when you think about the price of a good speaker stands.

R5 has an extra woofer driver but if you have sub, it won’t matter that much.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

R3 or r5.

Since I have a sub, I would like to get r3 but due children and safety of them tower looks more appealing. There is a price difference but it is actually lower when you think about the price of a good speaker stands.

To me the R3 and R5 are largely identical so it depends on your preference. I would probably prefer the R3s but with children you might want to go for towers.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts

R3 or r5.

R3 or r5.

The R3 uses a 6.5" bass driver versus the 2 5" of the R5. The R3 is rated to play a little lower and both are rated by Kef with the same maximum output of 110db. So between the two if would primarily come down to aesthetics.

Reactions: exm

·
Registered
9 Posts

R3 or r5.

The extra woofer vs the driver being 6.5" on the R3 instead of 5.5" on the R5 is making me waffle too. After the stands I agree they are in close enough price range to be comparable options.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The R3 uses a 6.5" bass driver versus the 2 5" of the R5. The R3 is rated to play a little lower and both are rated by Kef with the same maximum output of 110db. So between the two if would primarily come down to aesthetics.
To me the R3 and R5 are largely identical so it depends on your preference. I would probably prefer the R3s but with children you might want to go for towers.
So I have children as well. My current towers are super stable. Is the r3 unstable on the stand? I hadn't thought about safety, just sound lol suppose the fate of my kids should come into thought.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
So I have children as well. My current towers are super stable. Is the r3 unstable on the stand? I hadn't thought about safety, just sound lol suppose the fate of my kids should come into thought.
The official Kef stands don’t allows the R3s to be fastened by screws. So they “sit” on top of the stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Ok folks, for reference the sub is a kef kf92. 85' screen and 9060 def tech speakers im ditching for kef. Few questions. R3 will it sound empty coming from towers. I think I'm ok space wise on r5's but too tight for 7's I think. I don't have room for dual subs the other side is impossible in my room. Any advice appreciated. Will be doing this soon so I'll update what I choose. cheers.
I think the difference between the R3 and R5 is probably negligible. The R5 cites a -6dB of 38Hz (-3dB might be closer to 48Hz) while the R3 cites a -3dB at 52Hz, so I think as far as bass reproduction, having a sub woofer would pretty much nullify any advantage the R5 might have over the R3 on its own. You could take the money saved from the the R5s and put it towards a R2c.

Ideally, you could audition both sets, and return the loser.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good day,

I've got a 7.2.4 speaker setup in my media room that has all GoldenEar Technology speakers. I've been running GET's HTR 7000's in my ceiling for over 3 years and looking for a change. My ceiling is a little low at 7'8" and I feel the HTR's (due to their design) don't project well from overhead and push the soundstage down. By this, I mean a helicopter flying overhead doesn't sound like it's passing over me, more like it's passing in front of me. For those not familiar with the HTR 7000's, they were released before home Atmos was a thing and were engineered to be ceiling mounted main channel speakers as they can mimic ear level sounds when installed at a distance from the main listening position. My thought process is that I might get better Atmos effects overhead if I move to a traditional down-firing overhead speaker.

Are the KEF Ci200RR-THX speakers good at Atmos? Is their Atmos performance worth the $799 price tag? Are there any dealers in here that offer AVS members a discount?

If not the KEF's, is there a "gold standard" for in-ceiling Atmos speakers these days that I should be looking at instead?

Since I've only ever run GoldenEar Technology in my media room, will switching out the 4 overhead speakers create a situation where they sound drastically different (in a negative way) to my GET's? The GET speakers all use a folded ribbon tweeter while the Ci200RR-THX do not, is this a big deal?

Thanks to anyone willing to share their thoughts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Time will tell if I made a wise choice but I am replacing 5 Energy C-3 speakers with a pair of KEF R3, a KEF R2C center channel, and a pair of Q150's for the surrounds. At least for the time being, I am keeping my 10" Monolith ported subwoofer.

Most of my home theatre listening is just 1-2 people on a sofa. In such a situation, is the R2C speaker being added into the mix, still better than just running 2 R3 speakers with a virtual center? I did check out the speakers in person at a Magnolia Hifi but I didn't want to stay too long listening to them because of Covid.

The other question I have is would anyone recommend non KEF speakers/different KEF speakers for the surrounds given my priorities/requirements. For the surrounds, I would ideally like to have a speaker that is just 5-10 inches deep and that isn't that tall/wide. I would like it to blend in aesthetically with the R3's as well since they are in my living room in a relatively small loft. Mounting them on a wall is not a realistic option since one speaker will be near a large window. The room that these speakers are in is around 22 X 22 x 13 but it is mostly open space with loft area nearby and a hallway leading into that room. The main listening position on a sofa will only be around 8 ft away from the speakers and I will rarely play the speakers at reference levels since I don't want to bother my neighbors.

I may upgrade in the future or add a 2-3 channel amplifier but at first I will be running the KEFs with a Denon X3400h receiver. I want to see how that sounds before evaluating further upgrades.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Time will tell if I made a wise choice but I am replacing 5 Energy C-3 speakers with a pair of KEF R3, a KEF R2C center channel, and a pair of Q150's for the surrounds. At least for the time being, I am keeping my 10" Monolith ported subwoofer.

Most of my home theatre listening is just 1-2 people on a sofa. In such a situation, is the R2C speaker being added into the mix, still better than just running 2 R3 speakers with a virtual center? I did check out the speakers in person at a Magnolia Hifi but I didn't want to stay too long listening to them because of Covid.

The other question I have is would anyone recommend non KEF speakers/different KEF speakers for the surrounds given my priorities/requirements. For the surrounds, I would ideally like to have a speaker that is just 5-10 inches deep and that isn't that tall/wide. I would like it to blend in aesthetically with the R3's as well since they are in my living room in a relatively small loft. Mounting them on a wall is not a realistic option since one speaker will be near a large window. The room that these speakers are in is around 22 X 22 x 13 but it is mostly open space with loft area nearby and a hallway leading into that room. The main listening position on a sofa will only be around 8 ft away from the speakers and I will rarely play the speakers at reference levels since I don't want to bother my neighbors.

I may upgrade in the future or add a 2-3 channel amplifier but at first I will be running the KEFs with a Denon X3400h receiver. I want to see how that sounds before evaluating further upgrades.
I have q350, R2c,R8a and q1. I’m looking for r3 or r5 for my fronts but I haven’t listened them yet. I can assume they are better than my q and they have a better phantom image but still it is better to have a dedicated speaker for each channel for surround duties.

Try to get them where you can test it at home, it will be the best solution.

Btw there are some uni-core and speaker announcements in the horizon. So better to take it slow.

For surrounds, I’ll be pushing q350 to surrounds when I get my r fronts and replace the q1 with a second hand r100 if I can find. R100 will be a close match to the current r series and small in size when compared to q350, r300 and also cheaper than another pair of r3. You can look for q150 with a smaller size and but still a good soundstage. Q350 is cheaper here in the Netherlands so I went with them since I don’t have a size restriction.

Although I have chosen q350, my enthusiast friend suggest me to have all r series in surrounds but to me it is overkill and so pricey. It is better to spend that difference to a nad t778 or a dedicated Hegel h90 only for LR. Q series or older r series will be fine in surrounds and they have smaller sized speakers. Also I was thinking to get ls50 for surrounds since they are cheap nowadays. That could work as well. Smaller and aesthetically good looking in sides

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

You do want a center even if you're sitting straight ahead because vocals are played through the center and it sounds more realistic having it appear to be coming from the screen. I have the same setup as you and I agree the Q150 are large for surrounds. The best surrounds that would match your R3/R2c would be the R50a, the Q50a looks to be about the same just in the cheaper finish of the Q series. They are made to be atmos speakers but they could be mounted up high on the wall and angled down and would work fine for surrounds. The main problem with them in my opinion is they are too expensive when you can get the Q150 for 299 most of the time. In walls would be even better if you're open to that idea. If you can't do either option because of your window you could go with another brand, I really like coaxial speakers for surrounds but I would agree that they aren't as important as your fronts.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Tossing in two cents. ;-)

You described our HT area exactly, in terms of restrictions. We have a Monitor Audio setup.

I really like the MA Radius 90 speakers for surrounds (paired with Silver RX6 LR and RX Centre). And they have an optional stand designed for them that hides the wires (having trouble inserting photos using my phone). They’re perfect for our small townhome. I think they are underrated for this use, but I’m a novice at understanding specs.

I’m on this thread because we converted our unused second bedroom into a two-channel room with new LS50 Wireless II speakers. :cool: We could not be happier (Crimson Red with Titanium stands).

JP

Reactions: dan2017 and Kini62

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Just received Q150 in stealth grey. First impression, they do have more bass than my Q100 and not as bright...otherwise about the same.
Just picked up pair of ML Motion 15i and thought I'd throw up quick comparisons to my Q100s.

Two things:

1. Vocal clarity - was listening to Mark Knopfler 5:15 AM and immediately noticed the vocal clarity of the 15i...I was able to clearly hear words without struggle that I did not hear with the Q100, which I now realize are muffled in comparison.

2. Bass - bass on the 15i is much less and tighter...almost sounds held back, like a sealed speaker or room correction applied...15i better paired with a sub. The Q100s require more careful placement....the bass in my room definitely has more peaks compared to the 15i.

Just thought I'd document my experience, in case anyone is comparison shopping. I realize there is a MSRP price diff, but both can be found with significant discounts.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I used to use Paradigm Atom V2's as surrounds but when I changed the configuration of my family room I wanted something with a small footprint. The Kef T101's are my side and rear surrounds and the sound amazing and take up so little room.

Reactions: dan2017

·
Registered
210 Posts
Just picked up pair of ML Motion 15i and thought I'd throw up quick comparisons to my Q100s.

Two things:

1. Vocal clarity - was listening to Mark Knopfler 5:15 AM and immediately noticed the vocal clarity of the 15i...I was able to clearly hear words without struggle that I did not hear with the Q100, which I now realize are muffled in comparison.

2. Bass - bass on the 15i is much less and tighter...almost sounds held back, like a sealed speaker or room correction applied...15i better paired with a sub. The Q100s require more careful placement....the bass in my room definitely has more peaks compared to the 15i.

Just thought I'd document my experience, in case anyone is comparison shopping. I realize there is a MSRP price diff, but both can be found with significant discounts.
Did you mean Q150 instead of Q100? Otherwise I'm curious about the comparison since the Q100 is a discontinued model. Even the Q150 (at the commonly available price of $299/pr) would be about half the price of a well-discounted pair of 15i's, so I'm not sure this is an apples-apples comparison.

I must say, however that I've been on a Mark Knopfler binge lately. Man is he good. Such a unique, weighty voice. His recordings are always top-notch, too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey all. Apologies if this has been asked before. This thread is quite overwhelming. Just wondering if any knows if the LSX speakers work with the new Tidal Connect streaming protocol and if not has there been any word from KEF on if the feature may be coming? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Did you mean Q150 instead of Q100? Otherwise I'm curious about the comparison since the Q100 is a discontinued model. Even the Q150 (at the commonly available price of $299/pr) would be about half the price of a well-discounted pair of 15i's, so I'm not sure this is an apples-apples comparison.

I must say, however that I've been on a Mark Knopfler binge lately. Man is he good. Such a unique, weighty voice. His recordings are always top-notch, too.
True, not apples-to-apples, but always heard the ML was overpriced & did not expect.

No I meant the Q100. I did pick up the Q150 last year to compare, but they sounded roughly the same after room correction :), so I returned the Q150 (they were nicely balanced...not as bright as Q100).

I was using the Q100 in living room system, but on occasion the brightness was killing me, so I am now using Emotiva B1 in living room and moved the Q100 to bedroom. Surprisingly, the B1 is turning out to be a great value...in my experience, it has the best of both worlds...the vocal clarity of the ML 15i and a little more bass. I don't listen loudly, so it works well for me.

21521 - 21540 of 21566 Posts