AVS Forum banner

22001 - 22020 of 22075 Posts

·
Registered
Monolith HTP-1, KEF LS50 Meta, 2x JL Audio e110s, Theta, PS Audio M700 amps, Theta CD,Kaleidescape
98 Posts
Thanks a million for for such a detailed answer, will give it a try :)
The Monolith THX 12" subs are insanely good, and the price is amazing. The only issue is the size.. those things are really heavy, but well made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My partner always makes us watch TV at much lower volume than I would by myself, seemingly so she can talk uncontested during the parts I'm trying to hear. 😖

I've just ordered an R2C to replace my Q600, hopefully the money spent will show improvement in dialog intelligibility for TV shows and movies.

I can see R3, R5 or R7 in my future if it proves as good as it should be.

R2c sure is a nice looking speaker...
Have you tried turning off DynamicEQ yet? Unfortunately Audyessey Enhancements sucks. Disable both DynamicEq and DynamicVol.
The boost given by DynamicEQ to bass is too heavy, especially when listening at low volume and can often ruin speech intelligibility.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys and gals. I own a pair of old KEF Q70 speaker that need refoaming, do you know where can I get the kit for the woofers?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Have you tried turning off DynamicEQ yet? Unfortunately Audyessey Enhancements sucks. Disable both DynamicEq and DynamicVol.
The boost given by DynamicEQ to bass is too heavy, especially when listening at low volume and can often ruin speech intelligibility.
Thanks for the reply.

I only use DynamicEQ which I really liked with the Q600 at night/low volume for music. I haven't tried turning that off for TV shows, but it's a bit late now, the R2c is set up now!

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
My partner always makes us watch TV at much lower volume than I would by myself, seemingly so she can talk uncontested during the parts I'm trying to hear. 😖

I've just ordered an R2C to replace my Q600, hopefully the money spent will show improvement in dialog intelligibility for TV shows and movies.

I can see R3, R5 or R7 in my future if it proves as good as it should be.

R2c sure is a nice looking speaker...
If you're not getting good intelligible dialog from the Q600, it may be due to sub par placement of the speaker and/or poor calibration. You may want to investigate those possible issues first.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I only use DynamicEQ which I really liked with the Q600 at night/low volume for music. I haven't tried turning that off for TV shows, but it's a bit late now, the R2c is set up now!
How is the r2c? Did it fix the problem?

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
R5/R2C with NAD T778 makes both music and HT amazing. With Dirac, the R2C is stellar.
I would pull that R2C forward so that it's flush with the face of the cabinet :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I double that. You are definitely getting reflections off the top of the cabinet. It would also be a good idea to add some isolation between the speaker and cabinet.
i have the small rubber stick on feet that come with the speakers. any suggestion for more isolation?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
^
I really like and have used IsoAcoustics stands, especially the metal versions (Iso Aperta) but right now I am just using a couple of foam wedges to provide some upward tilt to my R2C because it sits about a foot below ear level on my Salamander Synergy stand. The IsoAcoustic stands do provide angle/tilt adjustment. Here is a link to the Iso Aperta version that would probably be a good match for the R2C:
Amazon.com: IsoAcoustics Aperta Series Isolation Speaker Stands with Tilt Adjustment: Aperta (6.1" x 7.5") Black Pair: Musical Instruments

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
How is the r2c? Did it fix the problem?
Not really, she still talks over the dialog... :p

I'm hesitant to gush too much because I'm not really a fan of nebulous flowery audiophile-talk, but I am happy with the purchase, so I will...

My impression, after running Audyssey, is that the sound of the r2c is more refined, less ?harsh? I'm hesitant to say harsh because I found the Q600 more "detailed" than harsh, but on the verge of harshness. But I think there was a very slight harshness/metallic sound to the treble on the Q600 that I do still hear very slightly on both my Q900s and more on my Q100 surrounds (but they're right next to my ears and maybe turned up a bit too much - but I do enjoy pronounced surround audio). Sometimes I enjoyed that characteristic but not always.

The r2c just sounds smooth - nothing is accentuated and nothing is hidden. Female vocals sound lovely, smooth and clear but not shrill. Dido, Billie Eilish, Sarah Mclachlan - Amazing!

The word, "effortless" springs to my mind, it is the center and expected to be the focus of surround audio, and it performs that task beautifully. Separation between the drums and the rest of the instruments is more clear.

It's quite hard to say for sure exactly how much improvement there was because I don't really trust my auditory memory clouded by the shiny new toy, and also a re-done Audyssey correction thrown into the circle of confusion mix. But it was definitely a step forward.

Heavily distorted music - RATM, Tool, Metallica, Nirvana, Disturbed, etc is less fatiguing - still detailed, but less harsh, more enjoyable. Maybe I've reached the age where I don't want it to be so harsh...

I was surprised by some songs where I had to raise the center channel a bit to make the vocals more prominent that I don't remember being like that before, but I think that could well be an artifact of something that Dolby upmixing is doing. I wish I took down what songs I noticed that with, but I was trying to get as much listening in as I could in the time I had. I should have tried DTS upmixing and seen if that made a positive difference (mostly I like Dolby upmixing for music).

Watching TV shows with my partner, I have found the dialog more intelligible, I've had less desire to adjust the volume and I think less skipping back because we missed something.

I do feel like it has improved low-volume listening at night significantly. Very happy about that.

I haven't watched a movie yet but I fully expect it to be great judging by what I've heard with music (in surround) and TV.

Also I love the look of the r2c. I very much liked the look of the Q600 but it was more industrial, more prominent and physically larger under the TV.

I could have solved some of that by using the grilles but it would have been a crime IMO to cover up the lovely design of the Kef coaxial/waveguide. Anyway the r2c looks great when I look there, but blends in like a ninja otherwise. I love the look and the piano finish matches the OLED.

I'm going to keep an eye out for R3s, R5s or R7s in my area and probably upgrade the mains later on, but I'm not in a massive hurry.

All these differences that I've just described are definitely noticeable, but not night-and-day, let's say a 5% improvement, from 80% of what I think is achievable at any budget in my room and with my ears (which are ok but not ultrasonic audiophile quality), to 85%.

I was pretty happy with the setup before, and I'm very happy with it now.

All Kef R's around, with another sub and minimal treatment, and if I could put a speaker in front of the damn doorway, would probably be 95% on my scale...

I feel like the r2c center was a significant upgrade and I'm quite satisfied for the moment.

Reactions: junior00027

·
Registered
930e | RX-A3080 | Parasound A31 | KEF Rc2, R3, Q50a | Dual Monolith 10 | NUC8i7 | CXN v2
133 Posts
Having also moved from the Q600c to the R2c, I agree with noobtv’s assessment. One thing I’ll add is cabinet resonance, completely gone from the R2c. It was very much present in the Q600.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Reviews of the R series makes me want to upgrade to the R before I've even lived with the Q. Luckily they will be a drop in upgrade and WAF will remain. I doubt she reads AVS. She wouldn't even know. hahahaha

Reactions: mag914

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
i have the small rubber stick on feet that come with the speakers. any suggestion for more isolation?
Buy two black squash balls and cut them in half. You'll have four feet. They work great and are cheap.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not really, she still talks over the dialog... :p

I'm hesitant to gush too much because I'm not really a fan of nebulous flowery audiophile-talk, but I am happy with the purchase, so I will...

My impression, after running Audyssey, is that the sound of the r2c is more refined, less ?harsh? I'm hesitant to say harsh because I found the Q600 more "detailed" than harsh, but on the verge of harshness. But I think there was a very slight harshness/metallic sound to the treble on the Q600 that I do still hear very slightly on both my Q900s and more on my Q100 surrounds (but they're right next to my ears and maybe turned up a bit too much - but I do enjoy pronounced surround audio). Sometimes I enjoyed that characteristic but not always.

The r2c just sounds smooth - nothing is accentuated and nothing is hidden. Female vocals sound lovely, smooth and clear but not shrill. Dido, Billie Eilish, Sarah Mclachlan - Amazing!

The word, "effortless" springs to my mind, it is the center and expected to be the focus of surround audio, and it performs that task beautifully. Separation between the drums and the rest of the instruments is more clear.

It's quite hard to say for sure exactly how much improvement there was because I don't really trust my auditory memory clouded by the shiny new toy, and also a re-done Audyssey correction thrown into the circle of confusion mix. But it was definitely a step forward.

Heavily distorted music - RATM, Tool, Metallica, Nirvana, Disturbed, etc is less fatiguing - still detailed, but less harsh, more enjoyable. Maybe I've reached the age where I don't want it to be so harsh...

I was surprised by some songs where I had to raise the center channel a bit to make the vocals more prominent that I don't remember being like that before, but I think that could well be an artifact of something that Dolby upmixing is doing. I wish I took down what songs I noticed that with, but I was trying to get as much listening in as I could in the time I had. I should have tried DTS upmixing and seen if that made a positive difference (mostly I like Dolby upmixing for music).

Watching TV shows with my partner, I have found the dialog more intelligible, I've had less desire to adjust the volume and I think less skipping back because we missed something.

I do feel like it has improved low-volume listening at night significantly. Very happy about that.

I haven't watched a movie yet but I fully expect it to be great judging by what I've heard with music (in surround) and TV.

Also I love the look of the r2c. I very much liked the look of the Q600 but it was more industrial, more prominent and physically larger under the TV.

I could have solved some of that by using the grilles but it would have been a crime IMO to cover up the lovely design of the Kef coaxial/waveguide. Anyway the r2c looks great when I look there, but blends in like a ninja otherwise. I love the look and the piano finish matches the OLED.

I'm going to keep an eye out for R3s, R5s or R7s in my area and probably upgrade the mains later on, but I'm not in a massive hurry.

All these differences that I've just described are definitely noticeable, but not night-and-day, let's say a 5% improvement, from 80% of what I think is achievable at any budget in my room and with my ears (which are ok but not ultrasonic audiophile quality), to 85%.

I was pretty happy with the setup before, and I'm very happy with it now.

All Kef R's around, with another sub and minimal treatment, and if I could put a speaker in front of the damn doorway, would probably be 95% on my scale...

I feel like the r2c center was a significant upgrade and I'm quite satisfied for the moment.
I really enjoyed your assessment. I've been looking at possibly getting an r2c, after having owned the R5s for about 2 months now. The R5s are the first speakers to nail exactly what I was looking for 100% dedicated 2ch setup. I'm glad to hear the r2c has the advantages and qualities that you've described superbly (flowery, rosy, chocoatety audiophile talk and all, :)

The R series overall have a level of refinement closer to that of their reference series, including the LS50s. That refinement of 2-5% is what many will pay thousands for, after crashing into the stages of diminishing returns. There's different tonality of voicing that I think lends itself better for neutrality, and smoothness, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I listen in a very small room (10x11) at low to moderate volumes, and that's where I think the R series excel. I don't seem to lose too much of the dynamic, liveliness, and scale that typically you only get when you dig into the volume knob. Every speaker has their sweet spot, where you need to get the volume up enough for them to open up. I find the R series opens up way sooner than one would expect. I would love to do R series all around, but they're a bit too large for the room they're in. I went with identical 5 LS50s for another setup, and I highy recommend that if you're tight on space.

Reactions: noobtv

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Definitely agree with that. They sound surprisingly enjoyable even at low volume, which is awesome for me because I'm a night owl that likes bassy music.

I bet all LS50 would be a great low volume setup. I may go to LS50 for surrounds eventually.

I really think that anything more than R series or LS50 would be well into diminishing returns 2% improvement territory.

Reactions: nonametofame
22001 - 22020 of 22075 Posts