AVS Forum banner

13341 - 13360 of 20810 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks!

Sealed. Ported wouldn't work for me. It's for music, and an occasional video watched on my small computer screen.

The office is a smallish 10' x 12', and my desk to one side along on the 12' dimension. I could have gotten away with a smaller and less powerful sub, but no regrets. I'm impressed with both the sound and the apparent quality.

Sa far, so good.
1. Would you have gotten the 8b instead (smaller version) if it was for a lesser price since it was for office use?
2. Do you think the 12b would be comparable with the SVS-2000 for home theater use?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
1. Would you have gotten the 8b instead (smaller version) if it was for a lesser price since it was for office use?
2. Do you think the 12b would be comparable with the SVS-2000 for home theater use?
1. Perhaps, but now that I have this one I think it's ideal. I listen to some music with really low frequencies, and can already tell this one won't go as low, as loud as the SB2000.

2. The SB2000's 500 watt amp does seem to make a noticeable difference. The Kube 12b would be working harder. The 12b could compete on many levels though, and does have a better DSP.

One thing that I noticed missing is an "on/auto-on" switch that the SVS subs have. I cannot choose to have anything but auto signal detect on.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Or you can just listen to the 107/2 and know that the guys at Stereophile got their review right. Look forward to your impressions of the DX-5 compared to the C5.
It took a whole day to get all the details worked out, but the sound with the DX-5 DSD is superb, with that same uncanny quality of just being there and not sounding like it's coming from an audio device that the C-5xeMP presents, yet somehow even better. Great detail without seeming analytical that lets me hear further into the music. The sound staging is so good I can visualize the Bill Evans trio at the end of our listening room. I played a section from Norma and it seemed as though the voice was coming right from the singer as she appears on the projection screen. For some reason, the video seems a bit better than that of the Oppos I have, but I don't know why that might be except that more care could be lavished on assembling an expensive unit.

The itch to replace the 107/2s has disappeared.

db

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Looking at the LS50W to pair with a turntable and curious whether anyone else has done this and their thoughts on the sound quality?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Q300 vs Q100?

I was all set on buying a full set of Q300s until I started reading the reviews online. It seems people prefer the sound of Q100s. I already have a pair of new Q300s, and I am wondering whether I should return those and get Q100s. Alternatively, I could just use one of the Q300 as a center, and get four Q100s. Would that work? Would it be better to have all 5 Q100s, in a 5.1 setup? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
52 Posts
1. Perhaps, but now that I have this one I think it's ideal. I listen to some music with really low frequencies, and can already tell this one won't go as low, as loud as the SB2000.

2. The SB2000's 500 watt amp does seem to make a noticeable difference. The Kube 12b would be working harder. The 12b could compete on many levels though, and does have a better DSP.

One thing that I noticed missing is an "on/auto-on" switch that the SVS subs have. I cannot choose to have anything but auto signal detect on.

Thanks for the response and feedback. I decided to keep the LS50 wireless as my office speakers and I'm currently looking for a sub to supplement it. I don't want something overly big because it will be tucked under my desk or even on my desk. Mostly for music only. I have neighbors downstairs so I'm pretty much going to be listening this only during the day (I work mostly from home).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I was all set on buying a full set of Q300s until I started reading the reviews online. It seems people prefer the sound of Q100s. I already have a pair of new Q300s, and I am wondering whether I should return those and get Q100s. Alternatively, I could just use one of the Q300 as a center, and get four Q100s. Would that work? Would it be better to have all 5 Q100s, in a 5.1 setup? Thanks for your help
I own both , and love both. IMO the Q300 issues are a little blown out of proportion. I'm going to address the 2 main problems/solution with the Q300

1. Rolled highs. Solution: these speakers need decent power/volume to open up. At low to low/moderate volume the highs are a tad rolled off, but once you start turning up the volume the problem goes away (moderate to moderate high)

2. These speakers sound bloated/boomy. Solution: PLACEMENT! ... I have been playing with the placement of these speakers non stop for about 2 months .... A) they need room to breath, as the manual suggest at least 2-3 feet from the side walls , and I would suggest 1-2 feet from the back wall .

So your answer is really gonna depend on your placement, and listening habits. For large rooms the Q300 will work better if they can be placed properly.

Once you sort out placement and power the Q300 sound nearly identical to the Q100 but with a slightly bigger sound-stage/bass.

Now the Q100: Pro's: They are easy to work, they don't need a ton of volume to sound great and aren't fussy about placement. So if placement is an issue you may want to go with the Q100. Also if you mostly listen at low volumes the Q100 do sound better/detailed.

Note: Q300 are a little Overkill for rears (unless you have a huge room). I would save money and grab the Q100 for rear duties and use Q300 for LCR IF you have flexibility with placement.

To sum it up , Q300 are picky with placement /power/ volume . But IMO there's not a huge difference between both IF you can work with the q300's placement. I find the Q100 are much easier to set and forget especially if you have a smaller room or placement restrictions

Bonus comment : if you can afford the q600c or q650c for center duties grab one .... For movies the difference is huge.
IMO you're better off using the money for the center vs rear. Rear speakers "don't" need to be timber matched, and it's an area you can save, a good $100 pair (sale) is all you really need for rear speaker duties. Example: Sony Cores, Pioneer SP22, Fluance Signature series, JBL Arena's etc etc.

Reactions: KenM10759

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Thanks for the response and feedback. I decided to keep the LS50 wireless as my office speakers and I'm currently looking for a sub to supplement it. I don't want something overly big because it will be tucked under my desk or even on my desk. Mostly for music only. I have neighbors downstairs so I'm pretty much going to be listening this only during the day (I work mostly from home).
After a few days now I can say I'm VERY impressed with this sub. I dare say the quality of the output is better than my SVS. It is about the same cube size as my SB2000 (if I don't have the perforated steel grill on the SB2000), and that would be too large for a desktop IMO. I believe the stated output of 24hz +/-3dB is probably very accurate, and it's not a fast drop-off at that number like a ported sub. There seems to be output (albeit at lower SPL) well below that too.

I would put this Kube 10b up against any equivalent 10" sealed sub, many a 12" one and beat them. The 12b must be incredible.

Reactions: Jus32 and feedbackq

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
After a few days now I can say I'm VERY impressed with this sub. I dare say the quality of the output is better than my SVS. It is about the same cube size as my SB2000 (if I don't have the perforated steel grill on the SB2000), and that would be too large for a desktop IMO. I believe the stated output of 24hz +/-3dB is probably very accurate, and it's not a fast drop-off at that number like a ported sub. There seems to be output (albeit at lower SPL) well below that too.

I would put this Kube 10b up against any equivalent 10" sealed sub, many a 12" one and beat them. The 12b must be incredible.
that's good to know,

when i replace my BIC H100 from my PC room i'll keep "KEF" in mind. it would probably be good to have a write up/comparison thread in the subwoofer section

·
Registered
20 Posts
I own both , and love both. IMO the Q300 issues are a little blown out of proportion. I'm going to address the 2 main problems/solution with the Q300

1. Rolled highs. Solution: these speakers need decent power/volume to open up. At low to low/moderate volume the highs are a tad rolled off, but once you start turning up the volume the problem goes away (moderate to moderate high)

2. These speakers sound bloated/boomy. Solution: PLACEMENT! ... I have been playing with the placement of these speakers non stop for about 2 months .... A) they need room to breath, as the manual suggest at least 2-3 feet from the side walls , and I would suggest 1-2 feet from the back wall .

So your answer is really gonna depend on your placement, and listening habits. For large rooms the Q300 will work better if they can be placed properly.

Once you sort out placement and power the Q300 sound nearly identical to the Q100 but with a slightly bigger sound-stage/bass.

Now the Q100: Pro's: They are easy to work, they don't need a ton of volume to sound great and aren't fussy about placement. So if placement is an issue you may want to go with the Q100. Also if you mostly listen at low volumes the Q100 do sound better/detailed.

Note: Q300 are a little Overkill for rears (unless you have a huge room). I would save money and grab the Q100 for rear duties and use Q300 for LCR IF you have flexibility with placement.

To sum it up , Q300 are picky with placement /power/ volume . But IMO there's not a huge difference between both IF you can work with the q300's placement. I find the Q100 are much easier to set and forget especially if you have a smaller room or placement restrictions

Bonus comment : if you can afford the q600c or q650c for center duties grab one .... For movies the difference is huge.
IMO you're better off using the money for the center vs rear. Rear speakers "don't" need to be timber matched, and it's an area you can save, a good $100 pair (sale) is all you really need for rear speaker duties. Example: Sony Cores, Pioneer SP22, Fluance Signature series, JBL Arena's etc etc.
I have both and largely agree with the above. I haven't noticed a boominess in the Q300, however I do have them 2 feet from the back wall and 4 feet from the sidewalls. I haven't tried them any where else because room layout dictates placement in this instance. The q300's are warmer than the Q100's whose bass I wold describe as clean and articulate.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Nice, congratulations!

Where are you located that it takes 7 business days? KEF Direct?
7 days as of today. (5 business days.) Speakers still in route.

The anticipation begins to grow! LOL

:nerd:

·
Registered
847 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
The only Q200c's left in the US are those few in stock at smaller privately owned shops, or used ones on Audiogon, US Audiomart and other sources.

You're lucky in Canada to be able to get one!

Congratulations!
They are getting hard to find here as well. Kef store Canada still has some, but white only. The Q100's are still available so not having the matching center may make selling off the remaining Q100's more difficult.

I find it strange that Kef chose not to include a Q250C in the new Qseries lineup. Not everyone has the space or need for the much larger Q650c.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
They are getting hard to find here as well. Kef store Canada still has some, but white only. The Q100's are still available so not having the matching center may make selling off the remaining Q100's more difficult.

I find it strange that Kef chose not to include a Q250C in the new Qseries lineup. Not everyone has the space or need for the much larger Q650c.
I also am very disappointed that KEF didn't (or hasn't yet?) offered a Q250c. The Q200c slots in perfect with a pair of Q100 or Q500 as main L-R speakers, so a Q250c would also with Q150 & Q550 speakers.

It's understandable that they've eliminated the Q800ds and no Q850ds as surround speakers, the di-pole design has fallen from favor for use with today's object-based surround formats. My son LOVES his though, and I gotta admit they kick ass in his room. Placed perfectly, the 7.1 system is dialed in so good I dare anyone to describe the di-pole speakers as not good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Since we are discussing adding new subs...

I picked up a PSA S1500 finished in Black Ash to compliment my Q500?s and Q200c. I?m still dialing in the sub as I?ve a complicated layout.
This thing is mammoth and a huge step up from the tiny NHT Classic Ten I was using.

I?m still shocked at how well the Q500?s sound with two channel music. I have to keep checking to make sure that I didn't accidently bump a surround mode and activate my center.

Attachments

·
Registered
847 Posts
Since we are discussing adding new subs...

I picked up a PSA S1500 finished in Black Ash to compliment my Q500?s and Q200c. I?m still dialing in the sub as I?ve a complicated layout.
This thing is mammoth and a huge step up from the tiny NHT Classic Ten I was using.

I?m still shocked at how well the Q500?s sound with two channel music. I have to keep checking to make sure that I didn't accidently bump a surround mode and activate my center.
Thats an attractive set up and I like the tv stand.
I bet it does sound good.

:smile:

13341 - 13360 of 20810 Posts