AVS Forum banner

13401 - 13420 of 20815 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
NetGod, your rooms looks gorgeous at night. Love the lighting. (and your Bengal). :)
Thank you! Thank you!

So hard to get good pictures in low light.

And I'll be sure to tell her. :p

:nerd:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum, but have found knowledge across AVR from many members, in my time reading their posts, many thanks. Most useful was the IR sensor board fix I was able to perform a couple years back, on my old JVC X3, because of the guide shared. This saved me hundreds to fix HDMI lock-up and the projector increasingly failing.
@KenM10759 Have enjoyed reading your posts about XTZ subs and the Kef R speakers, thank you. Has pushed me towards considering the 10.17 for my new Kef system.

And so, I am seeking some advice on pairing an Arcam AVR550 with my new Kef system. I have the opportunity to get one used for £300 - £400 more than half the current RRP (UK). I am not wholly knowledgeable on power requirements and handling and am concerned if the AVR550 will be capable for my system.

Firstly, I am the proud owner of my new Kef system, 2 nights old now and every hour that passes I admire and respect them moreso. Exceptional speakers that for me, won over a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 200s. I only compared in stereo, mind. But the R500s were the better speaker to me ears, never stressed, flatter in response, more focused and never showy for the sake of anything. Above all perhaps, was it's impressive transparency and three dimensional imaging. I summarise what I am hearing as a result of the fabulous UNI-Q array sandwiched between both bass drivers. The consistency across songs, soundstage and across my room is uncanny, at large. Very impressive. They can sound clinical at times, still. However, a forum friend advised that he was specifically advised upon his purchase of his, that they do/ can sound clinical brand new, and do require a good 200 hours or so run-in time to properly mature. This has be even more excited.

I was seeking my next upgrade after a pair of Silver 300 + C350 centre provided little to hardly difference in surround sound from my Bronze 5 system. There was marked stereo sound improvement, however. The Silvers went back! My experience was certainly in line with some others that I have also read about, regarding them compared to the Bronze 5s.

And so, I have just upgraded from my MA Bronze and PSB Imagine XA 5 7.1.4 system. My new system consists of R500 and 200Rc fronts and R500 side surrounds. Pair of R50 Atmos modules arriving shortly today for the front. Very excited. Will be adding a final pair of R500s for rears. Sub, still on the cards. Currently using with my Yamaha A3070. Will be adding a good power amp soon, once I add my rears.

I demoed the R500 through an AVR550 in my local Sevenoaks and they sounded sublime. But just reading, it appears that I would be only getting about 90 W per 7 channels, and 120 - 130 W per 2 channels, wit the AVR550. Whereas my A3070 is rated at 150 W per 2 channels, and not sure about 7 channels.

I understand that manufacturer specifications can mean little in real world application, but am hoping that someone can shed light and advise on the correct way to look at this and whether the Arcam AVR550 would be a suitable upgrade. Would it provide enough power to drive the Kefs for at least 5.1? I have seen the Kef R series 5.1 system and AVR550 package on one supplier's website, so am assuming it would be OK. But the numbers on paper, concern me, naturally. The Dirac would be extremely welcome, too. However, I find my current system's soundstage, via YPAO, to be sounding the best I have ever had, with no qualms. I have little doubt that Dirac would be a vast improvement, though and that my current content is partly due to not having heard what Dirac can do to improve sound.

Kind thanks,

fallinlight

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum, but have found knowledge across AVR from many members, in my time reading their posts, many thanks. Most useful was the IR sensor board fix I was able to perform a couple years back, on my old JVC X3, because of the guide shared. This saved me hundreds to fix HDMI lock-up and the projector increasingly failing.

@KenM10759 Have enjoyed reading your posts about XTZ subs and the Kef R speakers, thank you. Has pushed me towards considering the 10.17 for my new Kef system.

And so, I am seeking some advice on pairing an Arcam AVR550 with my new Kef system. I have the opportunity to get one used for £300 - £400 more than half the current RRP (UK). I am not wholly knowledgeable on power requirements and handling and am concerned if the AVR550 will be capable for my system.

Firstly, I am the proud owner of my new Kef system, 2 nights old now and every hour that passes I admire and respect them moreso. Exceptional speakers that for me, won over a pair of Monitor Audio Gold 200s. I only compared in stereo, mind. But the R500s were the better speaker to me ears, never stressed, flatter in response, more focused and never showy for the sake of anything. Above all perhaps, was it's impressive transparency and three dimensional imaging. I summarise what I am hearing as a result of the fabulous UNI-Q array sandwiched between both bass drivers. The consistency across songs, soundstage and across my room is uncanny, at large. Very impressive. They can sound clinical at times, still. However, a forum friend advised that he was specifically advised upon his purchase of his, that they do/ can sound clinical brand new, and do require a good 200 hours or so run-in time to properly mature. This has be even more excited.

I was seeking my next upgrade after a pair of Silver 300 + C350 centre provided little to hardly difference in surround sound from my Bronze 5 system. There was marked stereo sound improvement, however. The Silvers went back! My experience was certainly in line with some others that I have also read about, regarding them compared to the Bronze 5s.

And so, I have just upgraded from my MA Bronze and PSB Imagine XA 5 7.1.4 system. My new system consists of R500 and 200Rc fronts and R500 side surrounds. Pair of R50 Atmos modules arriving shortly today for the front. Very excited. Will be adding a final pair of R500s for rears. Sub, still on the cards. Currently using with my Yamaha A3070. Will be adding a good power amp soon, once I add my rears.

I demoed the R500 through an AVR550 in my local Sevenoaks and they sounded sublime. But just reading, it appears that I would be only getting about 90 W per 7 channels, and 120 - 130 W per 2 channels, wit the AVR550. Whereas my A3070 is rated at 150 W per 2 channels, and not sure about 7 channels.

I understand that manufacturer specifications can mean little in real world application, but am hoping that someone can shed light and advise on the correct way to look at this and whether the Arcam AVR550 would be a suitable upgrade. Would it provide enough power to drive the Kefs for at least 5.1? I have seen the Kef R series 5.1 system and AVR550 package on one supplier's website, so am assuming it would be OK. But the numbers on paper, concern me, naturally. The Dirac would be extremely welcome, too. However, I find my current system's soundstage, via YPAO, to be sounding the best I have ever had, with no qualms. I have little doubt that Dirac would be a vast improvement, though and that my current content is partly due to not having heard what Dirac can do to improve sound.

Kind thanks,

fallinlight
Your current Yamaha is a flagship AVR with good power supplies and The best version of YPAO available. It is a very capable AVR and you mentioned liking how it sounds. Adding a sub or two would reduce the amount of power drawn from your AVR giving you even more head room. If you feel you need additional power, a 2channel amp for your mains is where I'd look.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hi all,

And so, I am seeking some advice on pairing an Arcam AVR550 with my new Kef system. I have the opportunity to get one used for £300 - £400 more than half the current RRP (UK). I am not wholly knowledgeable on power requirements and handling and am concerned if the AVR550 will be capable for my system...
As @pase22 stated, you've got a great AVR and should hold off on changing that right now.

It is a subwoofer (or two) which will have the most significant impact on improving your current system. The amps in those taking over the bulk of the draw on your Yamaha is equivalent to boosting the power to the R500's by quite a bit.

I have an NAD AVR that's a true 60 watts per channel (all 7 driven) and it can reach beyond reference level as it is. That's partly because I'm only driving 5 speakers at the most, so I may have a little more. Any addition to the system at this point would be R50's as well, and at that point I may find I want to add a power amp for the mains.

If you do go with the Arcam, have they sorted out the problems with Dirac Live? I recall reading that Arcam's implementation of it was fraught with errors. Dirac Live is infinitely more capable than even your top level YPAO so if you have an "acoustically difficult" room, Dirac Live could be better for tailoring sound to your room.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Still enjoying the Q100...so nice to purchase something of late and not be disappointed.
Update: I find myself missing the tweeters from the Goldenear soundbar and Paradigm Millenia CT satellites :eeksurprise:, they are more exciting. Electric guitars don't zing like the Goldenear and the tweeters don't sparkle like the Paradigm. The KEF seems clinical.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Update: I find myself missing the tweeters from the Goldenear soundbar and Paradigm Millenia CT satellites :eeksurprise:, they are more exciting. Electric guitars don't zing like the Goldenear and the tweeters don't sparkle like the Paradigm. The KEF seems clinical.
Remind me, which KEF speakers do you have?

As you go up the line you do get more extended highs. Or, the new 2017 Qx50 series also extends high frequencies more than the previous version.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your current Yamaha is a flagship AVR with good power supplies and The best version of YPAO available. It is a very capable AVR and you mentioned liking how it sounds. Adding a sub or two would reduce the amount of power drawn from your AVR giving you even more head room. If you feel you need additional power, a 2channel amp for your mains is where I'd look.
Thanks pase, forgot to say I am still using my MA W10 sub with my Kefs. I did want to try bi-amping my fronts. Fellow avforums friend, has pretty much same set up with A3050 and said his Kefs only properly came to life when he added his Rotel 5 CH power amp and bi-amped his Kefs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As @pase22 stated, you've got a great AVR and should hold off on changing that right now.

It is a subwoofer (or two) which will have the most significant impact on improving your current system. The amps in those taking over the bulk of the draw on your Yamaha is equivalent to boosting the power to the R500's by quite a bit.

I have an NAD AVR that's a true 60 watts per channel (all 7 driven) and it can reach beyond reference level as it is. That's partly because I'm only driving 5 speakers at the most, so I may have a little more. Any addition to the system at this point would be R50's as well, and at that point I may find I want to add a power amp for the mains.

If you do go with the Arcam, have they sorted out the problems with Dirac Live? I recall reading that Arcam's implementation of it was fraught with errors. Dirac Live is infinitely more capable than even your top level YPAO so if you have an "acoustically difficult" room, Dirac Live could be better for tailoring sound to your room.
Oh, wow, thanks Ken, I didn't know that was the effect subs have on a system. As said above, I forgot to say I am still using the MA W10, but looking to add a 10.17 soon. Or, SB2000.

Speaking of R50s, just a/ b'd them against my PSB Imagine XAs and as it stands, the PSBs do a better job overall, to me. The PSBs frankly, look crap on top the classy R500 and the R50s look blooming amazing. That said, I have 2x PSB XAs and the one that has had more use (front pair), sound slightly better. But overall, they do a better job at placing the sounds overhead, it seems. Sound a bit fuller, too. However, the R50s match tonally, better... I think it would be wise to run them in some, first, before I decide on which to keep. I haven't played with tilt/ angle yet, though. The PSB XAs worked best as is.

EDIT: After one day of a/ b'ing and tweaking the calibration of the R50s to sound a little better, as in, fuller sounding in the mid range and slightly stronger in the highs, I in fact find the R50s to produce a superior sound, in line with the high quality of the R500s and R200c, and produce perhaps even a wider height dispersion, too. It must be noted however, calibrating upfiring Atmos/ Dolby Atmos approved speakers is probably not line with Dolby's recommendation and intention for how it should sound. Or at least Yamaha thinks so, as YPAO does not calibrate height channels when set to Dolby Enabled SP, and will only calibrate them when set to Front Height. Not sure about when set to Overhead. So, I am most likely changing/ boosting the height effects in a way that is not how the creators intended their content to be heard. Such are the limitations and flaws of upfiring compared to the proper in ceiling setup.

So, the R50s match much better, tonally, as the height effects have superior clarity, transparency and detail, in line with the R500 and R200c. However, the PSBs seem to do a better job placing lower frequency or certain sounds above and or just in front of MLP. Maybe more toe in is needed, due to the larger LF/ MF driver dispersing these sounds to far outside of the MLP sweet spot. Both have merits, I maybe feel the Kef R50 are superior overall, at least as part of my new system. Will most likely be trying the Kef T301 on the ceiling next (cannot drill holes though), for Atmos. Have seen quite a few people do this with excellent results it seems. Did try the PSBs near ceiling, at FML and FMR of room, to the side walls. I first tried just the front left height above my FL, but didnt seem quite right and wholly effective. At the middle sides of my room however, Atmos effects were largely better, but the panning and cohesion suffered, compared to when upfiring. Certain sounds were also too easy to localise and or misplaced in the soundstage, or I felt this to be so (maybe due to being used to upfiring effects). So these elements took away from the immersion and sensation. Things like wind gusting overhead or leaves falling down from the right to left, in the Leaf demo, were much better when upfiring. But some effects, like rain and thunder gained far superior separation, at the same time. A strong tilt downward to MLP might have helped with everything. In the line with physics and those who have realised the same as me, it seems the next and best solution is the ceiling route, which I can only imagine is amazing, and is of course, as Atmos was originally intended to be. Should be fun.

I'm not sure about the Dirac Live errors, I thought I read it was fixed. I need to read more about it, plus I have some reading to do about room improvements. As may be hasty to just purchase the Arcam without learning more first.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Remind me, which KEF speakers do you have?

As you go up the line you do get more extended highs. Or, the new 2017 Qx50 series also extends high frequencies more than the previous version.
Q100. Nothing wrong, just differences between brands.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have found this so far, too. Running my new Kef system: R500 fronts, R200C, R500 side surrounds, there is an inherent smoothness and togetherness with the Kef R house sound, to me. There was a graph shared on avforums, showing that the R series, are very neutral speakers. The member shows the graph compared to the less neutral Monitor Audio Gold 200. At the moment, I am flitting back and forth whether I like this, compared to my Bronze 5s, which I upgraded from. I tried the Silver 300 + C350 shortly, before the Kefs. But there is something about the Kefs neutrality that rings true to how things sound, to me. Lastly, I was told that the Kefs will sound clinical brand new and need a good 200 hours or so before they really open up. Not sure how much they will change, or how, but am looking forward to finding out.

That said, I am thinking also, if the balanced sound I am getting from my Kef system is what I prefer, or not, for home cinema, and even stereo music listening. However, one of the main things that one me over my Gold 200 (both through an Arcam AVR550) audition, was the Kefs neutrality, and also sheer detail, cleanness and transparency. The MA Silver 300 and Gold 200 sheered a much more 'coloured' sound, to my ears. Which I at first preferred. I could maybe get on with either, really. I still want to hear some Paradigms and PMCs. Paradigms are few and far between, here in the UK, though. So, getting a demo is near impossible. Interested to hear the new Kef Q range too - and old Q range. Someone told me they preferred the Q to the R series, but it was either, either, depending on what you preferred. They also had a soft spot for the Qs. I have read that there is not much between the Qs and R series in surround sound. This echoes my experience of my Bronze 5s and Silver 300s, where there was little to no gain - though I did not give the Silvers time to run in - in surround sound. Stereo, however, there was a marked improvement. My Kefs, I can hear more gains in stereo and surround sound.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
Thanks pase, forgot to say I am still using my MA W10 sub with my Kefs. I did want to try bi-amping my fronts. Fellow avforums friend, has pretty much same set up with A3050 and said his Kefs only properly came to life when he added his Rotel 5 CH power amp and bi-amped his Kefs.
If you want a separate, by all means get one, but I would add a couple good subs to the mix, then re-evalute. As far as Bi-amping goes, There have been endless debates on the this forum over the years on this topic. Some swear by it while others feel it's a complete waste of time and perfectly good speakers wire. Up to you to decide what side of the fence you want to stand on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want a separate, by all means get one, but I would add a couple good subs to the mix, then re-evalute. As far as Bi-amping goes, There have been endless debates on the this forum over the years on this topic. Some swear by it while others feel it's a complete waste of time and perfectly good speakers wire. Up to you to decide what side of the fence you want to stand on.
I've been content with not bi-amping my speakers for years but I will know what side, once I try bi-amping, I can only speak from experience. As of now, they sound great. Just found out about the new Kube xxb series, looks great, so reading up on those. It was going to maybe be the 10.17 before.

I've read a lot of folk forgoing the R400b, due to cost-performance. It's still more expensive here in the UK, than the likes of SVS and XTZ, but I assume not by as much as in the States. Would still like to hear it, and love the aesthetics, which match the R series. Have read and heard a couple of positive opinions, the avforums fellow with similar setup to mine, runs dual R400bs. Will be getting one sub to start with, whichever I chose, and see about adding a second if I feel to, after. Placement is slightly limited, but should find a work around.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I've been content with single wiring my speakers for years but I will know what side, once I try bi-amping, I can only speak from experience. As of now, they sound great. Just found out about the new Kube xxb series, looks great, so reading up on those. It was going to maybe be the 10.17 before.

I've read a lot of folk forgoing the R400b, due to cost-performance. It's still more expensive here in the UK, than the likes of SVS and XTZ, but I assume not by as much as in the States. Would still like to hear it, and love the aesthetics, which match the R series. Have read and heard a couple of positive opinions, the avforums fellow with similar setup to mine, runs dual R400bs. Will be getting one sub to start with, whichever I chose, and see about adding a second if I feel to, after. Placement is slightly limited, but should find a work around.
In the UK, B&K subs are very good performance per dollar. I'd look at their offerings. Available in variety of colors as well.
http://www.bkelec.com/hifi/sub_woofers.htm

·
Registered
350 Posts
Anyone compared kef r900 with b&w cm9 s2 ?
Yes, as a matter of fact the CM9 were the first speakers I auditioned when I upgraded a couples years back. I also auditioned the B&W 804D and Revel F208 along with the KEFs. At the time I really didn't know much about the KEFs but decided to listen to them at the particular dealer I was visiting. I preferred the neutrality of the R900 over the Revel (though they were nice sounding and looking speakers too). I preferred the R900 sound over the CM9 as well - both were neutral but I thought the R900 were more detailed and the soundstage was amazing. The 804D may have had an edge over the R900 but their price over the R900 didn't justify the possibly (to me) slight increase in sound quality. But as everyone will I'm sure suggest, best to listen yourself since everyone's ears a a bit different. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
$599 "may" seem a bit high for a center(Q600C/Q650C)... BUT it's basically a horizontal Tower. How many centers have 4 drivers and how much do they cost?, how much does 1x Q700 cost?
Well, my Q700's were $399 each. I think what I was getting at was the Q600 seems high considering these are closed-out and being replaced by the Q650's.
That's why I skipped the Q600c and went with the Q650c ! :) For $600 CDN

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, as a matter of fact the CM9 were the first speakers I auditioned when I upgraded a couples years back. I also auditioned the B&W 804D and Revel F208 along with the KEFs. At the time I really didn't know much about the KEFs but decided to listen to them at the particular dealer I was visiting. I preferred the neutrality of the R900 over the Revel (though they were nice sounding and looking speakers too). I preferred the R900 sound over the CM9 as well - both were neutral but I thought the R900 were more detailed and the soundstage was amazing. The 804D may have had an edge over the R900 but their price over the R900 didn't justify the possibly (to me) slight increase in sound quality. But as everyone will I'm sure suggest, best to listen yourself since everyone's ears a a bit different. Good luck!
Exactly my experience when I recently demoed R500 against MA Gold 200, mentioned few posts back. The neutrality of the R500 won me over, too. I always prefer to have neutrality as a base. I pride neutrality. Same, the detail and soundstage did it for me. It sounds balanced and so articulate and transparent, like some of the top cinemas in my area, but better as it doesn't fatigue me at all, really. To be perfectly honest, it sounds better than my cinemas: I cannot get over the transparency of the soundstage. The detail is incredible. I'm hearing things like the lightest hand claps in Dolby Atmos Horizon trailer or fingers sliding over an acoustic guitar. And that is sitting within/ on top/ behind all the other layers of sound. I had to go closer to the speaker to identify what I was hearing, and that it was actually there, as had never heard these sounds before. I can't recall hearing detail like that in my cinema. B&Ws are on my list to demo, though. But I'm so stoked with my Kefs right now.

13401 - 13420 of 20815 Posts