AVS Forum banner

19921 - 19940 of 20804 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm finding my kef r3's to be too bright. Anything I can do? Denon 4500 is the receiver.
Is it bright when you play in pure direct ?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
that link is for mini ls50.. i was looking regular ones...someone near my area is selling for cheap so thinking of grabbing them... will that big for my system....
There is nothing like mini LS50. It is the same speakers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I'm finding my kef r3's to be too bright. Anything I can do? Denon 4500 is the receiver.
When I brought the R3 home they sounded good but they were a bit fatiguing to me as well. If you check this review you'll see that the direct on-axis has a bit more energy in the highs than the listening window so you might have luck pointing them straight ahead without any toe-in. If that doesn't work you need to EQ them a bit, you can see they don't need much but just very low levels in the 2-8k range. Audyssey is hit or miss, it sounds like it's not doing the trick but see how pointing them straight ahead does.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-r3-speaker-review.12021/

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Thanks for all the information provided... i went with sb-4000 and will get one more in couple of months to make it dual.. in meanwhile i want to see if it makes sense to upgrade my rear channels(deftech bp-2x) or they are fine fro my system.
how would be ls50 as rear channels
my current setup..
R11 front, r2c center, svs sb-4000, deftech bp2x rear,
marantz 8805, xpa-5 gen 2..
still have room treatment pending
The new SB-4000 is a good choice. Compact and powerful. Duals would be great!

I'd love to have LS50s. Huge upgrade and they are at a good price right now. @pase22 is right about upgrading to the second sub first. If you want something to hold you over till you get the second sub, go for the Q150s as surrounds. They work well for me, and they're on sale right now.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
The new SB-4000 is a good choice. Compact and powerful. Duals would be great!

I'd love to have LS50s. Huge upgrade and they are at a good price right now. @pase22 is right about upgrading to the second sub first. If you want something to hold you over till you get the second sub, go for the Q150s as surrounds. They work well for me, and they're on sale right now.
Actually Q150's would be great as surrounds and would save you a few hundred. They will be timbre matched and you'd likely not be able to tell the difference unless you listen to multi channel music. The aesthetics would need to be taken into consideration.

Reactions: pn56Matt

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
When I brought the R3 home they sounded good but they were a bit fatiguing to me as well. If you check this review you'll see that the direct on-axis has a bit more energy in the highs than the listening window so you might have luck pointing them straight ahead without any toe-in. If that doesn't work you need to EQ them a bit, you can see they don't need much but just very low levels in the 2-8k range. Audyssey is hit or miss, it sounds like it's not doing the trick but see how pointing them straight ahead does.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-r3-speaker-review.12021/
It seems to me that most, if not all of KEFs speakers with Uni-Q are designed in such a way that there's no toe-in required. I think they even recommend their Q series to be pointed straight ahead, and I suspect that it'd be sort of the same with their R series or LS50s, etc...

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
It seems to me that most, if not all of KEFs speakers with Uni-Q are designed in such a way that there's no toe-in required. I think they even recommend their Q series to be pointed straight ahead, and I suspect that it'd be sort of the same with their R series or LS50s, etc...

That's the beauty of the uni-q driver. Kef is arguably one of the best know speakers for off axis performance. I have mine very slightly toed in which is more for aesthetics than anything else. I find them a little brighter fully toed-in, though it could just be in my head.

I've really had a chance to enjoy them this past week. Listening to stuff I haven't heard in years.

Reactions: Ryan Statz

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am re-furbishing a pair of KEF Reference 201 I have just bought and have a question. Anyone know how to get the bass driver out? I have removed the three bolts for the bezel, then the three screws for the drive chassis but both speakers have the assembly stuck to the speaker case. I am holding back on the brute force, any suggestions please?:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solved partly, I could get a spanner behind and tapped it until it finally came out. The gasket had merged with the paper thin veneer on the particle board to form a glue. I now discover the bass unit has a frozen coil and corroded back and just attempted to get an opinion from KEF Support, but no-one is manning the line, understandably.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Do you toe them in at all? If so, try just aiming them straight forward.

Reactions: KenM10759

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Solved partly, I could get a spanner behind and tapped it until it finally came out. The gasket had merged with the paper thin veneer on the particle board to form a glue. I now discover the bass unit has a frozen coil and corroded back and just attempted to get an opinion from KEF Support, but no-one is manning the line, understandably.
They won't be of much help, unfortunately. They only handle things from one to two generations back.

There's a technician in New York metro area that can save the bass driver, I'll see if I can find the name of the company.

·
Registered
164 Posts
With the Denon 4500, if you download the MULTEQ app on your phone, and run Audyssey then you can adjust the curve to bring down the brightness if it's too bright.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
As previously mentioned, the audyssey editor app is well worth the 20$ asking price. You can adjust settings, subwoofer output and select how much eq you want. Many of us only eq below 300hz where the bulk of the issues reside.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
With the Denon 4500, if you download the MULTEQ app on your phone, and run Audyssey then you can adjust the curve to bring down the brightness if it's too bright.
This could help but the problem is Audyssey could be taking a sledge hammer to something that really requires a scalpel. The measurements on ASR show that they really only need a slight cut in the 2-8k region, if that's easy to do in the Audyssey app it could work but I think PEQ would be much better to not affect areas that don't need correcting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Suggestions on a receiver to power a pair of R11s. Would like to use something better than a Sonos amp to power them.
Would be used as a 2ch with a sub for a listening room.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Suggestions on a receiver to power a pair of R11s. Would like to use something better than a Sonos amp to power them.
budget?

·
Registered
8,249 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html

often overlooked but you won't find anything better under $1000 period.

has analogue bass management as well!
High/Low pass filters
this feature would be incredibly valuable to you for blending your subwoofer.

Can be use as a pre-amp/dac if you have the desire to add external power amps.

It also pushes way more power than it's rated:

Two channels driven continuously into 8-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 144.7 watts
1% distortion at 165.1 watts

Two channels driven continuously into 4-ohm loads:
0.1% distortion at 188.5 watts
1% distortion at 235.3 watts

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/outlaw-rr2160-stereo-receiver-review-test-bench

19921 - 19940 of 20804 Posts