AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
..and Tannoy sues for patent infringement..

·
Registered
2,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/18278693

..and Tannoy sues for patent infringement..

I don't know the statue of limitations on patent infringement but they may be too late. Kef introduced this Uni-Q design first in 1988, and it is currently in its fourth or fifth generation. I have been using their excellent 204c with Uni-Q center speaker for 3 years.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/18279712

This has been going on for decades and similar can be found in the TAD designs.

I can't say if there is any differance between what their calling a ''concentric tweeter'' and what Altec called ''coaxially mounted'' but yeah, I have a pair of 804's with sectoral horns inside the 15'' woofers for about 40 years now.

I don't use em but they still look too cool to part with.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother52 /forum/post/18280484

I can't say if there is any differance between what their calling a ''concentric tweeter'' and what Altec called ''coaxially mounted'' but yeah, I have a pair of 804's with sectoral horns inside the 15'' woofers for about 40 years now.

I don't use em but they still look too cool to part with.

You should hook them up to an iPod just for grins and giggles.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18280635

You should hook them up to an iPod just for grins and giggles.

Ya know, it'll probably overdrive the darn things

They were way too sensitive for my new power amps, once upon a time.

Their still in the original cabinets too!

Real beauts they are, all 3'10'' of it and 115lbs apiece.

I cant believe I remember all of the fine details, 102db [email protected] watt if I recall correctly, or maybe that was 10 watts but either way, too sensitive for me

EDIT: Make that 604's not 804's. I guess the old noggin is as bad as I thought it was. I can remember squat

·
Registered
592 Posts
....Make that 604's not 804's....

604E, as used for monitoring in many professional facilities. There also was a 605G if I remember correctly. Eventually morphed into the UREI 813 series and then finally died. There is currently a German monitor loudspeaker "Geithan" that has a coaxial mounted tweeter...seems to have a bunch of fans.

Steve - wait until April 1 and then you can announce that KEF finally manged to figure out how to mount the woofer in the tweeter! See how many bites you can get on that one.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I was going to post that I think the first, if not, then at least an early adopter of coax speakers was the Altec 604s. Very much in demand on the collector's market..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Why was this thread (along with a couple others by Steve) even started here?!?

Take this crap over to the threads they actually belong in.

Don't mean to be a grump, but this thread should be closed.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Wanna impress me Steve? Let's see someone put the woofer inside the tweeter!

Dicey, you are indeed a grump or so it seems.

·
Registered
936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme /forum/post/18282048

I was going to post that I think the first, if not, then at least an early adopter of coax speakers was the Altec 604s. Very much in demand on the collector's market..

That's pretty much the way I remember it too and happy they are still worth at least what I paid for them.

The 604-8G was Altec's attempt at breaking into the ''hi-end'' stereo market. They took their best pro-monitor and dropped it into a fine looking wood box and they were in business.

It's what started me on my long speaker journey.

From those high efficiency speakers I went straight to low efficiency Magnaplaners of one model or another for the next 30 some odd years and wound up with Aerial Mdl. 9's a couple of years back. So now it's a low effeciancy box for me, but it all starts with that pro speaker.

There would be NO Ultra high-end forum to be a grump on dicey without speakers like the Altec 604 as far as I'm concerned!

So Steve missed a half century old design somehow and pointed it out, big deal. That's why a little history of how we got here to begin with is important. We all come here to learn this stuff in part, at least I do.

The high-end didn't just appear out of nowhere and alot of great, seamingly new designs are as old as dirt.

[steps off soapbox]

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastl /forum/post/18281297

Steve - wait until April 1 and then you can announce that KEF finally manged to figure out how to mount the woofer in the tweeter! See how many bites you can get on that one.

I'm done with April Fool's jokes. Read my signature. The last big one is at my expense!

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicey /forum/post/18282207

Why was this thread (along with a couple others by Steve) even started here?!?

Take this crap over to the threads they actually belong in.

Don't mean to be a grump, but this is thread should be closed.

Who elected you moderator????

Yes you are a grump.

And I do not know everything and didn't know one could tweet inside a woof!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/18283115

And I do not know everything and didn't know one could tweet inside a woof!

Hey Steve, heres another one for you to post......

"Dude in Mesopotamia invents crazy labour saving device, and calls it...... The Wheel".

·
Registered
22,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmachine /forum/post/18283556

Hey Steve, heres another one for you to post......

"Dude in Mesopotamia invents crazy labour saving device, and calls it...... The Wheel".

In my pre-reincarnated version I ran around the world yelling this 100,000 years ago!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts