AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone audition the Kef Q-series for home theater?

I am a B&W Nautilus fan, but looking to attempt to spend less $ and once I find a good dealer will audition these. Looks like I can get more of a full range for the $ as well.

Saw a good review of Q7 up front, Q5 rear and center, no sub (I would add sub but it was available in the review apparently)

Thx

Jim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, I auditioned the KEF Q several times, in addition to B&W 602/601 and Paradigm Monitor 7s. I feel that that KEFs sounded the best, especially with music. I couldn't get a comparable B&W for the same money either.

So last week I ordered (online) Q7s, Q1s, and the Q9c. And a SVS PCi 22-31 sub. Since my budget is tight, I had to settle for a Denon 2802 receiver, which I will probably upgrade in a year. I should have everything by week's end.

I will post results once I'm up and running.

Sean in Nor Cal

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the Kef Q5, Q9c, Q1 and PSW2000 in my home theatre. (Click on the "Gallery" button at the top of this post to see them set up.) I was comparing them to the Paradigm Monitor 11 and Studio 60s; they're probably about the same as the Studio 60 (hard to say, they were in different stores) but I preferred the look of the Q, and got a better price as well. I've been using them for about three months with no complaints.

Last weekend I was demonstrating my HT setup using LOTR's "Balin's Tomb" chapter, and my SPL meter was between 90-94 dBC, peaking at 102dB. When I was done, I got a comment that it didn't sound that loud -- the speakers were always clear and even, with no distortion. (Sustained exposure above 90-95 decibels can cause hearing loss. Not too shabby.)

The Q7 is better than the Q5, but not better enough for me to spend the extra money for it. The Q5 is a decent step up from the Q3, which is about the same as the Q1. The Q9c is a decent centre channel with the exact same drivers as the Q1, and if you even THINK about getting the Q8, you're missing the entire point of these speakers. (Thems ugly.) The Kef subs are pretty, but unless you have a very small HT in a townhouse -- and even if you do -- you might want to look elsewhere. I wouldn't call them a "bass module", but there's not a whole lot of sub to their woofing. They are pretty, though.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use the older Q15.2's as my surround speakers. I couldn't be happier for the price.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I read the same glowing review featuring the Q7s and Q5s. That would have been my perfect choice, but since I was already stretching my budget (almost 2x!), I chose to go with Q1s on 36" tall stands for my rear surrounds.

HOPEFULLY, my dark apple KEFs will arrive in the next day or two, and I'll post a few pics of my new HT in the gallery section shortly thereafter.

M Robertson-

I too was planning on buying the Q5s for my mains, but a friend of mine used to work @ Tweeters as a HT Installer convinced me to spend the extra $250 and get the Q7s since I plan on listening to lots of music. When I did the a/b comparison between the 5s and 7s I did notice a bit more midrange and bass on the 7s, they seemed a bit 'fuller', hard to describe.

Anyway, I agree with you 100% on the Q8s, they're butt ugly. I did notice that there is a new Q2ds dipole surround listed on KEF's website...and this speaker also features the handsome looks of the Q series cabinets and is avail dark apple etc. However, I did not want dipoles for my surrounds, I preferred to go with the direct radiating Q1s same as you.

I didn't really consider the KEF subs....especially since everyone seems to be raving about SV Subwoofers. I decided to try the $550 25-31 PCi, and after speaking with the guys at SV, they even custom tuned it so it will reach down to 22Hz, so it's actually a 22-31 PCi ;).

I can't wait to get it all hooked up this weekend!

Sean in Nor Cal

KEF Q7/Q1/9c

SVSubwoofers 22-31PCi

Denon AVR 2802

Toshiba 43" Rear Prj. HDTV

A/R Interconnects

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean L

I too was planning on buying the Q5s for my mains, but a friend of mine used to work @ Tweeters as a HT Installer convinced me to spend the extra $250 and get the Q7s since I plan on listening to lots of music. When I did the a/b comparison between the 5s and 7s I did notice a bit more midrange and bass on the 7s, they seemed a bit 'fuller', hard to describe.
On my best demo song, I did think that the Q7 had better bass (it's a hard song to do without being "boomy", and the 7 had an edge over the 5) but I preferred the midrange of the Q5. My impression was that the high end also sounded better on the 7, which is odd, since they're using the same mid/high drivers. I've discovered that it's actually impossible to compare speakers. (Did you compare the 5 & 7 against the Q3? My impression was that the 3 isn't as good, but the Q1 sounds just fine. Is it just me?)

Ah, Dark Apple -- excellent choice. If it wasn't for my dogs, I'd leave the grille covers off so that I could look at the Q5s during commercials.

Thanks for the tip on the Q2ds. My setup actually isn't optimal for the Q1 surrounds, and I would have preferred dipoles. The Q1s are mounted on open shelves almost directly above the listener's heads. It's a small room, and there's only about two feet of space between the couch and the side and back walls. My plan was always to eventually replace the Q1 with dipoles, if and when Kef ever got around to adding them to the Q series... that was a mighty three months ago. The good news is that the Q1s could become the foundation of my living room stereo setup, especially if I pair them with the PSW2000. I don't want to give the wrong impression about this woofer; it sounds great and looks nice enough to use as a very very small coffee table. The trio would probably rival the Q5 or Q7. It just doesn't reach as low as I would like. (Did you notice how I worked the subwoofer upgrade for my HT into the scenario? I do hope my wife doesn't read this forum...)

A couple of questions for the wise: Do the Kefs really have a better off-axis response than non-coaxial speakers?

...and why do the Q2ds have a pair of 6.5" m/h coax drivers, but only a 5.25" woofer?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ivis,

My KEFs (Q7/Q1/Q9c) & Denon 2802 just arrived this morning via UPS.

I bought the whole system from www.*****************.com for $2100 delivered. Email me if you want the exact breakdown of costs.

All my cabling, interconnects, and speaker stands for the Q1s won't arrive until tomorrow, so I can't fire it up yet :-( However, the speakers and receiver were all NEW/factory sealed. Everything was well packed and it took me well over an hour to carefully unpack everything!

Please note that Mark at Elegantaudio did tell me that Denon won't honor the warranty on the receiver since they're not an authorized dealer. However, according to Elegant's website *they* will honor the factory warranty and warranty duration at their expense. DOAs within the first 30days will be replaced with new product. Since I got the Denon for $469, I'm not complaining!

My SVS 22-31PCi sub also arrived today.

I should have everything setup by late Friday evening, I'll post my first impressions over the weekend.

it's gonna be a fun!!!

Regards,

Sean in Nor Cal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.