AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week I will be getting a pair of kef q900s. I was wondering how I should set them up. I have a emotiva umc 200 preamp. I also have both a adcom 535 and a emotiva upa 500 amplifier. Should I bi amp the speakers with both amps and if so which amp should power the upper vs lower frequencies. If I should not bi amp should i use just the emotiva or just the adcom to power the speakers. Thanks any thoughts would be helpful.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
You should not use two different brands of amplifiers to bi-amp as each amp has different gain levels. I biamp my hifi system with two identical two channel power amplifiers, vertically biamped.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If that is the case will the adcom or the emotiva by itself be adequate enough to drive the speakers well. I don't listen to reference loudness the emotiva preamp goes between 0 and 80 and i never turn it past 45

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
"emotiva preamp goes between 0 and 80 and i never turn it past 45"

I'm talking about the power amplifier gain, not your pre-amp output.

ie some amps require 2V for full rated output, others may be 1V or 1.5V

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand I was just putting some extra info out there to show that I'm really not pushing the amps that hard. I'm only in a 12x12 room so I only use lower volumes. I just want to know if either the emotiva or the adcom by itself will be enough to adequately power these speakers without clipping or potential damage to the speakers until I get a new parasound amp in roughly 7 or 8 months

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Yes the Emotiva will power those speakers fine. It is rated for 4 ohm loads and I do believe the KEF Q-series dips down a good bit into the 4-ohm range so it will handle them easily.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Would you suggest using 4 of the channels of the upa 500 to bi wire the speakers or is that pointless
I wouldn't bother. The only method of bi-amping that is worth your time is active bi-amping, but this involves speaker modification and additional external crossovers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I made a bi-wire jumper similar to other generations of KEF Speakers. Not a major difference. Feeding mine 150W each on an Adcom amp. I do have them slightly towed in about 8 feet apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.