AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next week I will be getting a pair of kef q900s. I was wondering how I should set them up. I have a emotiva umc 200 preamp. I also have both a adcom 535 and a emotiva upa 500 amplifier. Should I bi amp the speakers with both amps and if so which amp should power the upper vs lower frequencies. If I should not bi amp should i use just the emotiva or just the adcom to power the speakers. Thanks any thoughts would be helpful.

· Banned
5,866 Posts
You should not use two different brands of amplifiers to bi-amp as each amp has different gain levels. I biamp my hifi system with two identical two channel power amplifiers, vertically biamped.

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If that is the case will the adcom or the emotiva by itself be adequate enough to drive the speakers well. I don't listen to reference loudness the emotiva preamp goes between 0 and 80 and i never turn it past 45

· Banned
5,866 Posts
"emotiva preamp goes between 0 and 80 and i never turn it past 45"

I'm talking about the power amplifier gain, not your pre-amp output.

ie some amps require 2V for full rated output, others may be 1V or 1.5V

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand I was just putting some extra info out there to show that I'm really not pushing the amps that hard. I'm only in a 12x12 room so I only use lower volumes. I just want to know if either the emotiva or the adcom by itself will be enough to adequately power these speakers without clipping or potential damage to the speakers until I get a new parasound amp in roughly 7 or 8 months

· Registered
7,067 Posts
Yes the Emotiva will power those speakers fine. It is rated for 4 ohm loads and I do believe the KEF Q-series dips down a good bit into the 4-ohm range so it will handle them easily.

· Registered
7,067 Posts
Would you suggest using 4 of the channels of the upa 500 to bi wire the speakers or is that pointless
I wouldn't bother. The only method of bi-amping that is worth your time is active bi-amping, but this involves speaker modification and additional external crossovers.

· Registered
67 Posts
I made a bi-wire jumper similar to other generations of KEF Speakers. Not a major difference. Feeding mine 150W each on an Adcom amp. I do have them slightly towed in about 8 feet apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.