AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...
I'm about to pull the trigger on the kef q900s. I was comparing them to the golden ear triton sevens. I really liked both speakers and can get both for around $1400. If I primarily use my system for movies and video games you think the kefs are the better choice. I just want some opinions because it's a lot of money to spend. I've been saving for a while and a nice pair of speakers is all I want for my 21st birthday. Thanks for your input.

Other information:
emotiva umc preamp
emotiva upa 500
adcom 535
Subwoofer: hsu vtf15h

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Umm... take it from someone who had the Q900 and currently has both the Sierra 2 and Triton 7. Bottomline Forget KEF unless R series. Even then 7 is better if you like sharper highs. Sierra 2 is just amazing for a bookshelf but depends on your applications and love for bass.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not into bookshelves. I have bookshelf speakers now and I just feel like something is missing when watching a movie. I bought the hobbit battle of the 5 armies last night and watched the end battle scene and the entire time I felt as if there was something missing in the sound. I'm guessing it is that I'm looking for midbass and it's not there. Due to this I want a tower speaker That can preform decent in the 1500 dollar range. Again I'm leaning between the golden ear and the triton 7. my local golden ear dealer is the only one for about an hour drive and I really do not like the service there. As a result of this I looked elsewhere. I'm looking for something with good highs and tight punchy bass. In your opinions the 7 is the better choice

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Triton 7s they serve as my surrounds in my HT setup.

1. You can do better than $1400/pair that's list
2. I use the T1s as my mains in both cases loving the detail and clarity coming out of their HVFR Tweeter
3. The bass on the T7s is excellent, though I would not go by their posted measurements, it performs well in small to medium sized rooms w/o a sub

At that price point, go demo some speakers, but I don't think you can go wrong with the T7s

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are huge. Way to big for me. I'm looking for a medium sized tower that will give tight punchy bass for a good price. I wish I could get the triton ones but they are 5k. my max budget is around 1600 to 1700. This Saturday I'm going to numerous audio stores with a test cd I made. At the end of the day the ones that I liked best I'm going to buy. My bet is between the triton 7 and kef q900 well see on saturday. I'll post what I decide

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
My bet is between the triton 7 and kef q900 well see on saturday. I'll post what I decide
You're comparing 2 very different speakers. Q900 lacking highs and Triton 7 with heated highs. All comes down to preference but I'd avoid the Q series altogether.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts