AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reference series bookshelves, or Q series small towers? Both can be had for about $900/pair.

Either way a sub will be added, but not as urgently with the floorstanders.

I've all but settled on a pair of R100s and a HSU STF-2 sub. Thoughts on the Q500? Not too much online that's negative besides lack of bass but that's understandable for this speaker.

My current room is 10x15.

Reactions: TheAudioGuy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It seems very little has been written about either of these models, although what I've read about both is positive...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have q500's. the entire q line is good and supposedly the r series is a step up but I haven't heard them. I feel like I'd have to have a big amp upgrade to property run r series speakers.

the q500's can output a massive ton of clean bass but they need to be positioned property and it's amp/music/movie/source dependent also. i have mine away from the sides of the walls but there's a wall a foot behind them. they go down to 40 hz so it's a full range speaker minus the bass levels and house shaking that a sub will output which is mostly range you'll hear during movies instead of music.

if i did it again I'd go straight for the q900 or r series but you really need proper amplification.

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
The KEF R series is definitely a step up over the Q series. Both are excellent. If it were me I would probably go with the R series book shelf speakers and a good subwoofer (something better than the STF-2 if you plan to watch movies).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My receiver does 90wpc with 2 channels driven, I thought that would be plenty for a pair of R100s, no? They are rated to 100 watts RMS...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, regarding the STF-2, keep in mind I'd like clean bass that's right for music at moderate levels in small to medium rooms. I like the idea of a 10". I could go to an SVS SB-1000, 12" sealed 300 watt front-firing for $499. Do I need to be looking at the 500 watt SB-2000? Seems like overkill for my den/small living room application.

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberfunny  /t/1523395/kef-r100-or-q500-for-the-same-price#post_24505972

Also, regarding the STF-2, keep in mind I'd like clean bass that's right for music at moderate levels in small to medium rooms. I like the idea of a 10". I could go to an SVS SB-1000, 12" sealed 300 watt front-firing for $499. Do I need to be looking at the 500 watt SB-2000? Seems like overkill for my den/small living room application.

I understand. IMHO, the SVS SB-1000 would be perfect for your application. Also, I think your receiver will power the R100s just fine even though they are only moderately sensitive at 86 dB.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. By the way, I do watch lots of movies, but not usually loud and not in a large room. Should I be looking at the slightly better powered VTF-2 (250 RMS), or the SVS PB-1000?

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
Both the VTF-2 and SVS PB-1000 will dig deeper. If you desire more "impact" for your HT experience these will probably perform better and two of them would be superior. If not, the SB-1000 should suffice.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again. I am currently leaning towards a pair of R100's and either the STF-2 or SB-1000. Either of those subs can stay in a smaller room in the future for a music application, and as I build a surround setup in a larger room/basement I can get a big ported sub or two for that rig.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I don't want a much bigger sub...are you talking a Rel or something like that? Suggestions?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Kef owner with Q and Reference.

Go for the higher quality R, over the Q's.

I would second a higher quality subwoofer too. Perhaps upgrade your amp,

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, currently I don't have even one subwoofer, but I will buy one shortly after I buy the speakers.

Why do you feel I should upgrade my amp? Will it's 90wpc with 2 driven not do well by a pair of R100s?

I increased my speaker budget based on advice that my AVR will do well. Keep in mind this will be for 2 channel only.

I do realize that if I wanted Kef R all around, or some other speaker of medium efficiency, I'd need more power. But for the stereo pair 90wpc won't do?

·
Registered
30,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberfunny  /t/1523395/kef-r100-or-q500-for-the-same-price#post_24505656

Reference series bookshelves, or Q series small towers? Both can be had for about $900/pair.

Either way a sub will be added, but not as urgently with the floorstanders.

I've all but settled on a pair of R100s and a HSU STF-2 sub. Thoughts on the Q500? Not too much online that's negative besides lack of bass but that's understandable for this speaker.

My current room is 10x15.

Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barberfunny  /t/1523395/kef-r100-or-q500-for-the-same-price#post_24507454

Hi, currently I don't have even one subwoofer, but I will buy one shortly after I buy the speakers.

Why do you feel I should upgrade my amp? Will it's 90wpc with 2 driven not do well by a pair of R100s?

I increased my speaker budget based on advice that my AVR will do well. Keep in mind this will be for 2 channel only.

I do realize that if I wanted Kef R all around, or some other speaker of medium efficiency, I'd need more power. But for the stereo pair 90wpc won't do?

For stereo it should be fine, but with all channels driven you might want a little extra power depending on your listening habits. IIRC the KEF Q series impedance is a lot lower than the 8ohm they state, I am not sure if this trend is similar for the R series, perhaps try asking in the KEF Owner's Thread.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the more powerful AVRs from Yamaha, Marantz, and even Onkyo top out at 130-150wpc, but as I understand it the increase from my 105wpc is negligible in terms of performance.

Maybe with 5 channels driven it would come into play to have the marginal power edge.

The R100s are 86db efficiency, but they are only rated to 100wpc.

Frankly, if I need to upgrade my amplification right now to be pleased with a 2 channel setup, then my budget for bookshelf speakers will roll back to the $500 range.

I increased my budget to about $900 to go for the R100 but that would be based on being totally satisfed for 2 channel for a while with my current receiver.

Go ahead then everybody chime in, feel free to be honest if you think my RX-V675 won't do well functioning as a stereo receiver with a pair of Kef R100 in 2 channel, until I can afford more power in a year or two...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And thanks again to all by the way, for indulging a fairly subjective line of questioning!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
For stereo that receiver will do well. It would still be fine with 5 channels driven, but you wouldn't be able to listen as loud as before. Generally discrete amps can deliver what they are rated at, where as AVR manufacturers tend to publish their 2 channel driven ratings.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts