AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

So I am replacing my current system and are looking at some higher end bookshelf speakers. I found the KEF R300 and the Revel M106. I'm looking to spend around $1500-2K for the speakers and I have a great sub that will pair well with either. The design is as much a topic for me as the sound. I fell in love with the curve style of the Revel M106 but I really wanted it in the piano white finish. Unfortunately the M105's only come in white but I don't think I want to down grade the size for the look. I haven't yet heard the KEF R300 but have heard great things. I will listen later this week to make sure I like them. The R300 looks great but the curve of the revel really have my eye. I'm having a hard time choosing (assuming I like the sound of KEF R300).

My main question is what do you guys think of these two speakers? Is their a better speaker I should consider for the price? The system is mainly for music. I also have the amp covered.

Thanks
M

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm also thinking of the KEF R300 that is versus the KEF Q300, though not sure of the improvements I would hear and these are a bit more expensive. Running Andrew Jones BS22s and saving up and wanting something more clear. I would like to keep up with any recommendations that are forthcoming from this thread for other options. Already running a large Hsu sub

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I would take a look at the Ascend Sierra-2 as well, one of the top options at the $1500 price point. Most important thing is the audition though, when you are spending this kind of money, go out and listen with your own music so you can buy what sounds best to you. You could also look into the B&W CM series, and Paradigm Studio series, to give you a nice variation in sound types.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
R300, M106 and Sierra 2 - all very, very good speakers in that price range :eek:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
R300, M106 and Sierra 2 - all very, very good speakers in that price range :eek:

+1 I'd also add the monitor audio gold 100

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are some of your favorite speaker stands? Is Sanus the only maker? KEF's only makes 1 and it's not worth the price.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
If you have a great sub, add KEF LS50 to your audition list..

·
Premium Member
7,718 Posts
I've read that the M105s are better than the M106s. However, both KEF and Revel make great speakers (neutral and accurate).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Going to order something this week. I really like speakers with detail. I started with a Klipsch RC-52II, and liked that but maybe a bit too bright. I think my wife liked that because when we went to the Andrew Jones generation 2 center sp c-22 with BS-22 LR, she started to say, "what did they say". I am running a HSU vtf3mk5hp. The Jones speakers are good turned up, but are muffled at low levels, so I need more claity, and there are 6 in our family so we need wide dispersion for lots of seats. Speakers will be on a console with the center in the console with treatments behind them. I run KRK vxt4 with my computer for near fields and like those.
I have heard the LS50 and the KEF Blades (just for fun on the tall boys). I left feeling that they sounded pretty good, but not as bright as the Klipsch center I had. I was going through an "ear" adjustment phase I think. The showroom could have been overdamped, or maybe the highs are really rolled off somewhat. Maybe I prefer a little more brightness on the top. The R300 will sound different from both, just there is no where to really listen to them. I have to order these to hear them, bummer. I have an very wide open concept space and need good horizontal dispersion. Looking at the Q300/Q600 too. The Sierra-2 and R300 are in the top running now since I have the budget, and I can always get the center a little later if needed. I used to be somewhat of a musician and ran sound for bands, so I am leaning toward the "realism" I have heard about with the Sierra-2's. Not quite ready to get the center yet, and I need to call them to see if match up the center with the LR pair. If I get the R300, I will have a long wait for the center which maybe I really don't need since both image well but we are 80% TV and movies. It would be a much shorter wait to save up for the Sierra-2 center.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts