AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, looking for advice on speakers after a couple weeks research. Replacing 16yr old speakers, 20x18’ room. Denon X3400 multi eq XT32. Don’t really listen to loud for long. Now 60/40 HT but more music appreciation lately. Most importance is vocal clarity in HT/TV/Music. Like a big stage 3D sound. Will Also get 2 subs HSU VTF3 MK5 HP or Rhythmik recommended for music. Thought I was going ported but also looking at sealed ULS now too.

Trying to keep around $2500 for now don’t mind doing 2 pieces at a time and build with quality from there. Could be 2.1 to start. I thought I was going to go bookshelf with Canton Vento, Revel Concerta2 M16, LS50 or Possibly KEF R3, but was recently recommended on this site to look at Kef R5.

If I go with R5 floor standers for $2k is to worth the jump to R5 over R3 for sound & filling room (even with 2 subs). Differences/Pro’s R5 vs. R3. or possibly other bookshelves I listed Vento, Concerta2 M16, LS50 half/third the R5 price are any close to being sound competitive (80% guessing of R5?).

Thank You,
Dan

·
Registered
17,893 Posts
Hello, looking for advice on speakers after a couple weeks research. Replacing 16yr old speakers, 20x18’ room. Denon X3400 multi eq XT32. Don’t really listen to loud for long. Now 60/40 HT but more music appreciation lately. Most importance is vocal clarity in HT/TV/Music. Like a big stage 3D sound.
KEF R5 are $3K/pr at Best Buy where you'd have 15 days to return. I know that accessories4less has refurbs for $2K/pr but good luck ever trying to return them.

That would allow you to do a head to head comparison with others, like the Wharfedale Evo at $1800/pr with $75 flat rate return shipping. If you prefer the R5, return it to BB and then order from accessories4less...BB can afford it, they have endless ways of bilking consumers.

Though with dual VTF-3, you really don't need big towers. The Evo 4.2 vs R3 would be fine.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hello, looking for advice on speakers after a couple weeks research. Replacing 16yr old speakers, 20x18’ room. Denon X3400 multi eq XT32. Don’t really listen to loud for long. Now 60/40 HT but more music appreciation lately. Most importance is vocal clarity in HT/TV/Music. Like a big stage 3D sound. Will Also get 2 subs HSU VTF3 MK5 HP or Rhythmik recommended for music. Thought I was going ported but also looking at sealed ULS now too.

Trying to keep around $2500 for now don’t mind doing 2 pieces at a time and build with quality from there. Could be 2.1 to start. I thought I was going to go bookshelf with Canton Vento, Revel Concerta2 M16, LS50 or Possibly KEF R3, but was recently recommended on this site to look at Kef R5.

If I go with R5 floor standers for $2k is to worth the jump to R5 over R3 for sound & filling room (even with 2 subs). Differences/Pro’s R5 vs. R3. or possibly other bookshelves I listed Vento, Concerta2 M16, LS50 half/third the R5 price are any close to being sound competitive (80% guessing of R5?).

Thank You,

Dan
Here is how this thing pans out.

if with a sub or two, you only need LS50, R3, or Reference 1. it is because why to pay for woofers in the speaker if you will have subs that can do that job much better. also adding woofers requires increasing the speaker size that makes them less stiff with loss of sound clarity.

LS50s are stiffer and produce cleaner sound but are only suitable for less than 300 SF room or if you listen to music at a reasonable volume.

if bigger than 300 sf and if you listen to music loud go with R3 or Reference 1 based on your budget.

for rooms bugger than 500 sf, you will have to go with R5 or R7.

HT volume does not matter as, during HT, most of the sound comes from the center channel that has to be of reasonable size if you want to have high sound levels.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KEF R5 are $3K/pr at Best Buy where you'd have 15 days to return. I know that accessories4less has refurbs for $2K/pr but good luck ever trying to return them.

That would allow you to do a head to head comparison with others, like the Wharfedale Evo at $1800/pr with $75 flat rate return shipping. If you prefer the R5, return it to BB and then order from accessories4less...BB can afford it, they have endless ways of bilking consumers.

Though with dual VTF-3, you really don't need big towers. The Evo 4.2 vs R3 would be fine.
--------
Yup will finally get out tomorrow to look listen at some home theater stores and BB/MAG. (lots of stores as BB headquartered here, some friends working there) Try Bring something home this week somewhere.

Is the Vento or Ascend Sierra EX considered in same level as the KEF R3, LS50. I've heard lots about Ascend here, but I don't see even a you tube video on Canton 826.2 or 836.2. Thought to order on A4L but tough return policy, especially with no way to get a peek or review.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Room 15x13x17ft ceiling Can I still go bookshelf?

LS50s are stiffer and produce cleaner sound but are only suitable for less than 300 SF room or if you listen to music at a reasonable volume.

if bigger than 300 sf and if you listen to music loud go with R3 or Reference 1 based on your budget.

for rooms bugger than 500 sf, you will have to go with R5 or R7.
---------
I remeasured, does it matter the main living room is 15 x 13 with 17ft ceiling open to 2nd floor? Also backs up to kitchen 14x13 and 9ft ceiling. Can I still go bookshelf Kef R3, Ascend Sierra EX, Revel Concerta2 M16, or Canton Vento? +2 subs is 12" ok or do I need 15's

·
Registered
17,893 Posts
--------
Yup will finally get out tomorrow to look listen at some home theater stores and BB/MAG. (lots of stores as BB headquartered here, some friends working there) Try Bring something home this week somewhere.

Is the Vento or Ascend Sierra EX considered in same level as the KEF R3, LS50. I've heard lots about Ascend here, but I don't see even a you tube video on Canton 826.2 or 836.2. Thought to order on A4L but tough return policy, especially with no way to get a peek or review.
Don't know much about the Vento, but the Ascend 2EX, yes...definitely!

·
Registered
17,893 Posts
---------
I remeasured, does it matter the main living room is 15 x 13 with 17ft ceiling open to 2nd floor? Also backs up to kitchen 14x13 and 9ft ceiling. Can I still go bookshelf Kef R3, Ascend Sierra EX, Revel Concerta2 M16, or Canton Vento? +2 subs is 12" ok or do I need 15's
1. Total CONTIGUOUS space = your SUBWOOFER needs

2. Listening distance + preferred volume levels = your SPEAKER needs

As long as you're sitting within the usual 8-12ft and listen in the typical 60-75db range, bookshelves with dual subs in that room will be fine.

Download a free SPL meter app to your phone to figure out about the decibel level you prefer.

Reactions: SouthernCA

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sierra 2EX vs R3 bookshelf

Don't know much about the Vento, but the Ascend 2EX, yes...definitely!
-----------
I got out today and listened to LS50 (only one so far so not much to compare yet) but loved what was to me 3D type sound. How does KEF R3 and Ascend Sierra 2EX sound/compare Pro/Con's. I've heard a lot of good reviews here on Ascend Sierra 2EX bookshelf. I want to make best first guess when I order hopefully not have to return.

·
Registered
17,893 Posts
-----------
I got out today and listened to LS50 (only one so far so not much to compare yet) but loved what was to me 3D type sound. How does KEF R3 and Ascend Sierra 2EX sound/compare Pro/Con's. I've heard a lot of good reviews here on Ascend Sierra 2EX bookshelf. I want to make best first guess when I order hopefully not have to return.
I liked the LS50 when I heard them in a shop, but they desperately need a subwoofer or risk sounding brittle especially with imperfect recordings.

I've only heard the Sierra 2; the 2EX is supposedly identical but with a much improved woofer that provides more mid-bass slam. The S2 by itself already sounded much fuller than the LS50, which makes sense since it rolls off around 42Hz vs 79Hz for the LS50. What I loved about the S2 was a certain effortless and liquid smoothness, with flawless treble extension that never got harsh or aggressive. In terms of the "holographic" quality, I think they are more similar than different...but if it came down to one or the other, my ears wouldn't hesitate to choose the Ascend.

Reactions: LuigiF1

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
-----------

When I was looking for new speakers, I did not find another speaker that created such a focused sound image. It is like someone just cleaned the window and you can see the sound image clearly. When I listen to LS50, it seems that the speakers disappeared and I feel that the singer is standing right in front of me.

But now it is 4 years later. I am most interested in learning about other speakers that can do the same.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I liked the LS50 when I heard them in a shop, but they desperately need a subwoofer or risk sounding brittle especially with imperfect recordings.

I've only heard the Sierra 2; the 2EX is supposedly identical but with a much-improved woofer that provides more mid-bass slam. The S2 by itself already sounded much fuller than the LS50, which makes sense since it rolls off around 42Hz vs 79Hz for the LS50. What I loved about the S2 was a certain effortless and liquid smoothness, with flawless treble extension that never got harsh or aggressive. In terms of the "holographic" quality, I think they are more similar than different...but if it came down to one or the other, my ears wouldn't hesitate to choose the Ascend.
You are absolutely correct. LS50 is not the right speaker for a system that does not have a sub.

But with a sub, no point buying a speaker with the extended low end as frequencies below 80 or 100 hz will be taken over by the sub.

·
Registered
17,893 Posts
But with a sub, no point buying a speaker with the extended low end as frequencies below 80 or 100 hz will be taken over by the sub.
True, but my ears also much preferred the Ascend's mids/highs.

Guess I'm just a ribbons guy, Wharfedale Diamonds excepted. :)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
True, but my ears also much preferred the Ascend's mids/highs.

Guess I'm just a ribbons guy, Wharfedale Diamonds excepted. :)
Yes. I have heard a lot about those ribbon tweeters. When the current lockdown us over, I will go experience them.

Are they also good for imaging?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The R3's will work given your modest volume requirements.

·
Registered
478 Posts
-----------
This might be a useful thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3099762-kef-r3-vs-ascend-sierra-2ex-blind-listening-results-informal.html

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
-----------
That 3D type sound is due to the coaxial driver and even dispersion in all directions, all KEF's will have that. I would compare the LS50 to R3 if you can because they are a bit different so I'm sure 1 would stand out. The Sierra 2 EX has wider horizontal dispersion but a very constrained vertical dispersion so it's not going to give a 3D Soundstage but it will be wider than any other speaker without a RAAL ribbon. If you care about measurements, the R3 is the best measuring passive speaker to date at ASR, the EX hasn't been measured yet but the Sierra 2 was.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
-----------
The good thing about the LS50's and Canton Vento is you're getting high quality speakers for $750/pair. The R3 & sierra EX are great speakers as well, but are also twice the price. Another excellent option is Focal Aria 906 at $800/pair. With dual subs you certainly don't need huge speakers.

·
Registered
17,893 Posts
Yes. I have heard a lot about those ribbon tweeters. When the current lockdown us over, I will go experience them.
Are they also good for imaging?
I'm not a big "imaging" person, but I haven't seen anyone complain about them in that department.

Another ribbon you could try out now, is the Wharfedale Evo speakers---they have AMT rather than RAAL ribbons, and are available from Crutchfield which gives you $10 flat rate returns on bookshelves, $75 on towers. Crutchfield currently has the Evos on sale, btw...the 4.2 is a 3 way bookshelf that costs about the same as the LS50 and would likely also produce a much fuller sound due to its larger woofer and cabinet.

IIRC, @Gary Mertz found the Evos had very impressive soundstage and imaging characteristics during his recent multi-speaker shootout thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts