AVS Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
LS50 and R3, Canton Vento, Reference 9.2 DC

The good thing about the LS50's and Canton Vento is you're getting high quality speakers for $750/pair. The R3 & sierra EX are great speakers as well, but are also twice the price. Another excellent option is Focal Aria 906 at $800/pair. With dual subs you certainly don't need huge speakers.
-----------
Yes agree on LS50 liked it (can't find a Vento, or reference 9.2DC bookshelf video to get an idea) and yes R3 $ twice as much. I don't buy speakers often so don't mind spending if R3 is a step up. Doesn't have to be twice as good as LS50 but worth the step. But I for sure will get 2 HSU or Rhythmik subs.

I will look at Focal and someone suggested Revel Concerta2 M16.

Thank you

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
7,789 Posts
I wouldn't rule out floor standers based on two comments. They have definite advantages over small bookshelves with one tiny woofer trying to play low frequencies *above* crossover. Towers crossed to subs are better than bookshelves crossed to subs in many ways. The KEF LS50 for example runs into high distortion quite early when crossed to subs. The 80 to 300 Hz region is difficult for one small low sensitivity woofer to handle especially when factoring the eq that will be applied in this region. Towers also look better to many and rather than spend money on stands to get the small speaker to the right height for a precarious, awkward setup, just get tower speakers fora little more for lower distortion and better sound quality.

Reactions: Darvis
21 - 22 of 22 Posts