AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of auditioning the new KEF Ci 130DS In-wall Dipole surround speaker.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments on these or KEF speakers in general?

I'm looking for 4 in-walls, (to keep the wife happy), for the sides and rears in our home theatre room to complement the Def Tech 3000 F/C that we currently have.

·
Registered
30,597 Posts
I use Kef Uni-Q speakers all around in my 7.1 system. Bought them specifically because I liked how well they imaged. Turns out they also have a large sweet spot; i.e., they continue to sound good as you move off-axis (handy for multiple listeners).

Sanjay

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am not familiar with the Kef inwalls, however, I have auditioned and am seriously considering the purchase of the KEF Reference 201 and 202C speakers. They sounded very smooth in the showroom when I auditioned them. I would be interested in hearing comments from anyone that has had experience with these.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A coworker is trying to sell the following, is this a good deal? Good product? Please help.

*Denon AVR-3802 Receiver -- £450

*Keff Egg Speakers KHT 2005 -- £500

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have spent a lot of time listening to the KEF Ref series and I really enjoy them. They seem to be winning praise by many mags (ie Ref 205 is a best buy under $10k/pr. My concern is price. At the $5k price of Ref203 one has to compare them to value performance leaders like VMPS rm40. If you compare them to other premium import names like B&W and Vienna then they shine much better.

The XQ series has an attractive price and similar features (ie uniQ, Hypertweeter) but not the same cabinet acoustics & build, cone material, and attention paid to driver matching. Of course the Ref205's really step up from the 203's and 201's in terms of bass and full sound.

I enjoy the XQ towers and up (would want a sub with Ref201's). I'm less interested in the more affordable models but they may still be serious competitors in their price range.

The new REF's have great imaging, a front row sound stage, smooth natural highs with Hypertweeter, and with Ref 205 and 207 the bass provides a deep full and detailed sound.

I love the looks and cabinet.

You can log onto ebay and see what used Denon AVR 3802 receivers sell for in US$.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My experience with KEF has been with the venerable pair of KEF 104/2's which launched me into the audiophile/HT world. That soon expanded to a Model 100 (then turned into Model 200) center, with Model 70S surrounds. (I've recently upgraded to a Dunlavy setup)

The KEF sound I can summarize as warm, involving, and intimate. They seem to be a bit rolled off at the top (maybe that's why the new iterations of three digit Ref Series have supertweets? I haven't heard them yet), but in a good way - it emphasizes the midrange magic those speakers are known for. Some say that the midbass is a bit too "forward," lending a chesty sound to sounds in this register, such as male vocals. I've always taken a liking to them. Since you're using them as surrounds, I'd be more interested in seeing how well they integrate with your Def Techs (not much experience there).

Of course, nothing substitutes for good ol' auditioning, so what you find when you do so will be interesting. Share your experience.

Happy listening!

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.