AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to Home Theater, brand spanking new.

I have purchased a Onkyo TX-NR709 and Kef T205 speaker system. It is composed of (2) T101 speakers and (2) T301 speakers plus a center and subwoofer.

3 speakers will be mounted on stands , the 4th will be mounted on the included desk stand setting on a horizontal surface. They will all be the same height. The room is not dedicated to home theater.

My question is which of the speakers T101 or T301 should be front and which should be rear.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input SikOne,

I absolutely love the NR709 and the T205 system. I did listen to several different systems; all were in a dedicated Home Theater environment or Best Buy. I chose the Kef system based on research and how it sounded to me. Looks aren't bad either.

Basement is unfinished so I have great access to make a neat installation.

The T2 subwoofer does not come with a RCA or S/PDIF cable. I ordered a S/PDIF cable, wall plates and patch cables.

For the speakers I used 10 gauge speaker cable, RCA banana plugs and wall plates. Some would say gauge is overkill.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
The KEF T2 doesn't use S/PDIF. On top of that, the NR709 doesn't support S/PDIF subwoofers.

Nobody ever includes one cause they have no idea if you need a 3 foot or a 300 ft one.

Edit...I tend to forget that S/PDIF covers BOTH Tos-link and digital coax.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Schan. "I know that I know nothing", that is why I ask so many questions.

I appreciate your response but it brings up another question. What is the difference between an RCA and S/PDIF cable? I bought two patch cables and two wall plates for the installation. Should I use different parts? This is the cable I bought for the sub woofer. the connection on the bottom of the sub looks like an RCA connector. My research (perhaps flawed) lead me to this cable. I ask to learn, not to challenge.

Thanks,

Larry

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
In reality...subwoofers can use ANYTHING ended in an RCA on both ends.

"Most" subwoofer cables are coax...just like composite video, component video and digital coax.

So, "technically"...calling a subwoofer cable a "S/Pdif subwoofer cable" is redundant.

S/Pdif subwoofer cable=hot water heater(as in saying "how water heater" is redundant)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I brought the system back in July and love it. I have it paired to a Yamaha RX V591 Receiver and it sounds great. One issue my subwoofer's power light was red when off, and turned Blue when there was a signal; however, after about a month, the blue light disappeared, don't know what happened, now when the system is off the light is red and when the system is on there is no light? I called KEF USA and they were as lost as I was. The woofer still works great, just no light. As far as config, it's as it was when I took it out of the box and connected. Any recommendations would be appreciated though. I have my sub in the front of the room in the far left hand corner.

Cheers

Nadir

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear All

I just bought a onkyo tx nr 818 with KEF T205 speaker system

I have questions about with which type of cable connect the AV receiver to the subwoofer?. and

what is the best specifications Cable (brand, gauge) for this configuration?

can anyone help

rafgut

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.