AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Father of PlayStation moves from hardware to software

Ken Kutaragi, widely credited as the father of the PlayStation, could now be shifting is attentions from hardware to software. Sony and Namco Bandai have announced (Japanese PDF) a joint venture in the formation of a new games company, named Cellius, with Ken Kutaragi serving as chairman. The two companies are investing about ¥100 million ($823,000) to form Cellius, with Sony owning 49 percent and Namco Bandai taking majority at 51 percent. The venture will begin operations on March 6, Bloomberg reports.

As the name implies, Cellius will focus on producing games for the Cell processor, which currently means exclusively for PlayStation 3. Cell may eventually find itself into other set top boxes and mobile devices, opening up the possibility for Cellius to develop for more than one platform.

While it's not yet clear what his role will be in Cellius, Kutaragi's position at Sony has shifted. In late November, Kutaragi was promoted chairman and group CEO for SCEI, moving him a bit further away from direct control of regular PlayStation operations. With the latest iteration of the PlayStation complete, Kutaragi's engineering know-how could now shift to strengthening the PS3's software portfolio.

http://www.dailytech.com/Ken+Kutarag...rticle5848.htm

·
Registered
72,411 Posts
Consider it a down payment from the industry and Sony to keep Kutaragi busy and out of the way where he can't dream up expensive, exorbitant s*** that threatens to bankrupt the entire company. Had Gunpei Yokoi, inventor of both the Nintendo GameBoy and Virtual Boy, not died in that tragic accident back in the late 90's he would have probably ended up with a similar deal from Nintendo. A kind-of reward for giving the company a huge money maker and a punishment for flushing that success down the toilet with a bomb. And to think that at one time Ken Kutaragi was seriously considered for the position Sir Howard Stringer now holds!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman /forum/post/0

How do you start a company on $850,000!

Its not like you or me starting a company. They probably just used that money to purchase a few resources. They already have the man power. Just shift some people around and emptied out a building they already own.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Quote:
As the name implies, Cellius will focus on producing games for the Cell processor

Good news...

·
Registered
810 Posts
He will be chairman, so it is oversight role, not active development. In fact, I saw article mentioning how Ken always wanted to do some software, which is why this company was probably started - I have very little doubts that it was kuturagis idea...

·
Registered
924 Posts

Quote:
Good news..

This is VERY, and I mean VERY good news. Now we'll have a developmental team that can focus on PS3's strength. I'm hoping for advance animation and physics.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
 "Father of Ridge Racer to Lead Cellius, Make Racing Games"

Quote:
Yesterday, Sony Computer Entertainment of Europe contacted me to let me know that Ken Kutaragi won't be heading up the newly formed joint business between SCEI and Namco Bandi.

But when I asked them to double check they became a bit unclear and said they would look into it. This morning Nick Sharples, director of their PR team, was kind enough to send along some more details about the newly formed Cell-centered game developer.

It appears that Namco Bandai's Isao Nakamura, best known for creating the Ridge Racer franchise, will actually be the director of the company while the other board members will be "absentee directors" who will support Nakamura's role.

A bit more details:

The new company, combining development technologies and flexible way of thinking which both SCEI and NBGI have, will develop new contents business in order to create interactive and "surprising" contents. Isao Nakamura is known for creating the Ridge Racer franchise but the new content to be created by CELLIUS is not limited to racing genre only. CELLIUS office will be located in Nakameguro, separately from SCEI or Namco Bandai offices and will initially start with around 30 people.

By saying that the company is "not limited" to the racing genre, they certainly imply that will be one of the things they will be doing. I'll leave it to you to finish this post with some Kaz-speak. Brian Crecente

·
Registered
4,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by epsilon72

All they need to do to permanently solve the "Kenny K" problem is to prevent him from making any more public statements a.k.a. blunders about the PS3 (ie: "1080p at 120fps!!"), now that he's no longer on that project.

At the risk of defending ken
, I believe he was talking about the future Sony HD displays regarding 1080p/120, and not specifically games, but I could be mistaken.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think having Namco lead the company is pretty smart. Krazy Ken has done enough damage to the PS brand with this whole PS3/1080P garbage.

Namco has a clean record with only a couple of misses:

1.Breakdown (xbox) utter garbage

2.Tekken 4 (ps2) if it had a different title it would be an excellent fighter

3. Death by Degrees/Urban Reign (ps2) Namco having an identity crises

Namco is a very confident company as well as being humble to its customers. They really pay attention to what the fans say about their games.

Adding the addition of Bandai could really make this a sweet deal.

Off the top of my head I could think of atleast 3 good Namco titles that could benefit from Sony expertise with the Cell.

KLONOA (1080p)

Time Crisis (off the rails and make a squad based arcade shooter/FPS)?

Namco/Bandi Fighter (take that Tekken 4 fighting engine and add cute cudly characters)

I know there are better candidates, but this was off the top of my head.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
To hell with the games.. they should give him his own TV show.. I'd much rather watch his talk show than play another Ridge Racer clone

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.