AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Through the preliminary work side by side Sony 5000 stack in my theater. Demolition and electrical move on Monday , installation of enclosure on Tuesday, larger opening velvet covering into theater and clean including trim on Wednesday. Ken started to work on Thursday afternoon getting alignment mechanically (very precise leveling indeed).

I've had one 5000 since May of 2016 so with a little chat with Chris Cooley I'm on my way to another level. Chris has the same thing in progress in his theater.

Saw a foretaste yesterday !!!

We are hoping to watch some HDR etc this evening.

Stay tuned more to come !

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
[golf clapping]

See you sometime next year!

·
Registered
21,217 Posts
EGADS!!! Very impressive. I am most jealous! Congrats!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Through the preliminary work side by side Sony 5000 stack in my theater. Demolition and electrical move on Monday , installation of enclosure on Tuesday, larger opening velvet covering into theater and clean including trim on Wednesday. Ken started to work on Thursday afternoon getting alignment mechanically (very precise leveling indeed).

I've had one 5000 since May of 2016 so with a little chat with Chris Cooley I'm on my way to another level. Chris has the same thing in progress in his theater.

Saw a foretaste yesterday !!!

We are hoping to watch some HDR etc this evening.

Stay tuned more to come !

I love the way the projectors look 'Drooling'....

·
Premium Member
23,905 Posts
This is really cool. Proof again that two is better than one.

Maybe we should have this thread merged into the one that Ken already started so we can have a “master” stacked 5000 thread?

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Curious what is the best stacking layout?

Side by side, side by side at a slight inward angle or stacked vertically?

Ken can answer this better but I think he will say that vertically is probably better since the lenses are significantly closer together than when stacking horizontally. My room could have been modified for the vertical configuration but it would have changed the architecture more than I wanted . Sony , however, has designed them to be used in a quad stack which obviously has two side by side and two sitting on top of them so either works as evidenced by how unbelievable Hacksaw Ridge looked last night.:D

Art

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Ken can answer this better but I think he will say that vertically is probably better since the lenses are significantly closer together than when stacking horizontally. My room could have been modified for the vertical configuration but it would have changed the architecture more than I wanted . Sony , however, has designed them to be used in a quad stack which obviously has two side by side and two sitting on top of them so either works as evidenced by how unbelievable Hacksaw Ridge looked last night.:D

Art

I would say that’s exactly right, from my experience in testing both scenarios with Ken.

Over/under is slightly easier because the lens are quite a bit closer than side by side.

But like Art said, they were designed to quad stack, and side by side works equally well.

Side by side configuration is just a little more time consuming on set up.

Like Art’s room, my room’s design makes a side by side setup the best choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi Art
Can you please check the power used with both projectors combined at 70,80 and 90 % laser

Thanks

Sorry Mani,
I don't have a way ,at present ,to check that.

Art
Hi Art

Something like this will take a quick measurement ( attached pic) . Whenever you get a chance in future .
Also very interested to know how much higher does black level go up with the stack - both measured and perceived
Thanks
Mani

Attachments

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hi Art

Something like this will take a quick measurement ( attached pic) . Whenever you get a chance in future .
Also very interested to know how much higher does black level go up with the stack - both measured and perceived
Thanks
Mani

Hey Mani,

I have a Kill-a-watt meter. I can measure mine. I measured mine a while back but can’t remember if I took notes.

You would certainly need to have two separate circuits to run them both at full power.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
donaldk; said:
Quad stack? You are sure that would not be a quad blend or mix of vertical stack with side by side blend?

They support multiple configurations but they certainly support a quad stack. All 4 creating the full image, and all 4 perfectly overlaid.

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Watching some familiar material here tonight. The Martian....I love this movie ! Anyway , just spectacular ! Only time will tell but so far this is quite a move up. The black floor looks interestingly unaffected this is subjectively only at this point ; I'm looking at space etc. next to the Velux screen and masking borders while highlights cause my iris to clamp down.

Art

1 - 20 of 171 Posts