AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Hi Art

Something like this will take a quick measurement ( attached pic) . Whenever you get a chance in future .
Also very interested to know how much higher does black level go up with the stack - both measured and perceived
Thanks
Mani

Hey Mani,

I have a Kill-a-watt meter. I can measure mine. I measured mine a while back but can?t remember if I took notes.

You would certainly need to have two separate circuits to run them both at full power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That is what I want to know . If you go by the Sony specs both projectors combined should consume 2.4 KW which should be max capacity for 20 amp circuit which I have in my hush box . So If both projectors run at 60-70% , I am assuming one dedicated 20 amp circuit should be enough ? . To run a new circuit in my hush box will be impossible , as all my dedicated theater circuits come from 240V 100 amp panel from Ground1 with isolation transformer built in . I don?t want to put any theater equipment on the circuits from the rest of the house to keep the grounding completely separate .

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Watching some familiar material here tonight. The Martian....I love this movie ! Anyway , just spectacular ! Only time will tell but so far this is quite a move up. The black floor looks interestingly unaffected this is subjectively only at this point ; I'm looking at space etc. next to the Velux screen and masking borders while highlights cause my iris to clamp down.

Art
You mean your Iris , not projectors

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
This sounds like stacked CRT performance.

Reactions: ccool96

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
So here are some numbers to feast your eyes on:

39 fL in SDR at 50% laser drive
71 fL in HDR at 100% laser drive

Reference picture mode is used for SDR, and it’s settings were copied to User 1 for HDR. Direct access to these modes was added to the iRule system (manually for now). I call the Reference mode in a macro when any non-UHD source is selected.

Currently the projectors are doing HDR mapping, but Lumagen’s HDR Intensity Mapping will be added on the next visit. Art will have multiple options for viewing HDR content.

Ken Whitcomb

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
So here are some numbers to feast your eyes on:

39 fL in SDR at 50% laser drive
71 fL in HDR at 100% laser drive

Reference picture mode is used for SDR, and it?s settings were copied to User 1 for HDR. Direct access to these modes was added to the iRule system (manually for now). I call the Reference mode in a macro when any non-UHD source is selected.

Currently the projectors are doing HDR mapping, but Lumagen?s HDR Intensity Mapping will be added on the next visit. Art will have multiple options for viewing HDR content.

Ken Whitcomb
Hi Ken

How about the black level

·
Registered
61 Posts
Congratulations, I imagine it’s stunning in person :) I’m not sure if you’ve said elsewhere but is this the ST130 fabric still or did you (or will you) swap to the ST100?

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Congratulations, I imagine it’s stunning in person :) I’m not sure if you’ve said elsewhere but is this the ST130 fabric still or did you (or will you) swap to the ST100?

Still the 130 and yes the plan is to change out to 100 since I have so much more light to work with now. Ken wanted me to have a theater over the holidays since I actually have time to use it.:eek: Many more details yet to work through after new years including changing the screen material.

Art

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
Watching some familiar material here tonight. The Martian....I love this movie ! Anyway , just spectacular ! Only time will tell but so far this is quite a move up. The black floor looks interestingly unaffected this is subjectively only at this point ; I'm looking at space etc. next to the Velux screen and masking borders while highlights cause my iris to clamp down.

Art
Overall contrast should be the same (you raised both the upper end and lower end the same amount), but the actual black level (without the dynamic laser) should have gone up. How much it would bother you specifically would be subjective, but because you raised the overall light level your eye should be more biased than before, so you may not notice it much. There is no iris in the 5000ES if I remember right, only laser dimming. So you should still get a full blackout with a black input.

A question for Ken, for the combining of the two images, is this done at the pixel level? Just wondering if that means scaling is involved, ala pixel level alignment and you lose a bit of resolution for overall accuracy.

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Overall contrast should be the same (you raised both the upper end and lower end the same amount), but the actual black level (without the dynamic laser) should have gone up. How much it would bother you specifically would be subjective, but because you raised the overall light level your eye should be more biased than before, so you may not notice it much. There is no iris in the 5000ES if I remember right, only laser dimming. So you should still get a full blackout with a black input.

A question for Ken, for the combining of the two images, is this done at the pixel level? Just wondering if that means scaling is involved, ala pixel level alignment and you lose a bit of resolution for overall accuracy.

I can answer some of this. I've seen very little so far that is very very low APL. Most is things like night dust storms, star fields etc. all with some other bright suff visible ; so not a great way to say much of anything there so far. My SDR is set with 50% laser which is just under 40fL. The HDR is set with 100% laser on both projectors.

Yes ,some scaling needed to get the extreme edges to align. This is the effect of the Sony alignment software. I was surprised though how good it looked even after only the mechanical alignment sitting in my front row which is ridiculously close by most standards (11' back from a 16' wide screen).

I don't think any of us would say that this set up comes without some trade offs but ,so far , I'd definitely say this is the best projection I've seen so far.

My personal consideration now is stability. I've gone to pretty good lengths to isolate the enclosure from the floor and walls to help with what Mark Seaton has done with my bass. Only time will tell how the two projectors work together over an extended period.

Art

·
Registered
21,217 Posts
Still the 130 and yes the plan is to change out to 100 since I have so much more light to work with now. Ken wanted me to have a theater over the holidays since I actually have time to use it.:eek: Many more details yet to work through after new years including changing the screen material.

Art
Yea Ken is such a great guy!!!

When you change over to the 100 you will be blown away by the difference in picture quality. I was. Its the difference between watching a screen and actually feeling like you are there. You will "feel" the cold of the ocean water, the "sand" of the desert, or actually feeling like you are on the beach next to the pretty bikinis of "Baywatch"! At least this is my experience with the Snomatte 100 and the Radiance Pro for HDR tone mapping. Of course I can hit "A" or "B" on the Radiance Pro and see that the straight HDR picture simply doesn't have the real brightness like when tonemapped and that makes all the difference for my picture. It could well be that in your setup straight HDR will have so much brightness that it will be fantastic!
But Ken can set up "A" vs "B" if you have the Radiance Pro and you can compare if you like. Or perhaps you have so much brightness for HDR that its simply not an issue and you don't need the Radiance Pro to do the best job for this? I would simply ask Ken and do whatever he recommends in your setup!

My impression is I would rather HDR tonemap with a 1.0 Snomatte screen than straight HDR with a 1.3 Studiotech screen! But you may have sufficient brightness to do straight HDR even with a 1.0 Snomatte screen?

Excited and Happy for you having so much fun its only going to get better and better as your setup gets tuned in further!! ENJOY!! The rest of us are jealous indeed!:D

When are you writing your new book "The Art of the Stacked Projectors". Perhaps you can get the guy who ghost wrote "The Art of the Deal" to do it! :p:p:p

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Just downloaded Blade Runner 2049 to the Kscape Strato UHD, HDR and Atmos but no time to watch it until Friday. Should be impressive.

Art
Downloaded and just finished watching
Movie is just OK ,but blu ray transfer is very good . Very sharp and lots of scenes to highlight HDR and black levels and some scenes with good bass .

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Downloaded and just finished watching
Movie is just OK ,but blu ray transfer is very good . Very sharp and lots of scenes to highlight HDR and black levels and some scenes with good bass .
I think this is my Friday night movie but as always it's my mood .....if I want big in my face so to speak it would be this if I need to really relax it will be an older film.

Art

21 - 40 of 171 Posts