AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 171 Posts

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Just downloaded Blade Runner 2049 to the Kscape Strato UHD, HDR and Atmos but no time to watch it until Friday. Should be impressive.

Art
I think this is my Friday night movie but as always it's my mood .....if I want big in my face so to speak it would be this if I need to really relax it will be an older film.

Art
No matter what you decide, you should watch the beginning of 2049 just for the relaxing massage from your Seaton SubMersives and F18’s!

Ken Whitcomb

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hey Art, just stumbled on this thread! Congratulations, you're raising the bar yet again!

It sounds to me like this makes it a necessity to have a movie night with a few "close" friends! Or maybe even a (gasp!) meet?! But no, I wouldn't want to put you (and Angela!) through that much work again so soon...but you have at least until Spring to get that screen switched out...because I don't take the Hellcat out in winter (or anything below 50 degrees - summer performance tires). Then I'm hoping we could get a small demo/movie night going?! Let me go ahead and invite myself over for that... :)

(And Jeff - you're not off the hook! We still have hopes for a meet when you get your new one done!)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Hello Art, so incredible.... I'm looking forward to seeing more pics and updates so please keep em coming....!
and Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Gotta love this group. The passion still going strong after so many years. :)

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hey Art, just stumbled on this thread! Congratulations, you're raising the bar yet again!

It sounds to me like this makes it a necessity to have a movie night with a few "close" friends! Or maybe even a (gasp!) meet?! But no, I wouldn't want to put you (and Angela!) through that much work again so soon...but you have at least until Spring to get that screen switched out...because I don't take the Hellcat out in winter (or anything below 50 degrees - summer performance tires). Then I'm hoping we could get a small demo/movie night going?! Let me go ahead and invite myself over for that... :)

(And Jeff - you're not off the hook! We still have hopes for a meet when you get your new one done!)
Ron,
I may do both. I'm getting requests for sooner rather than later. I know a movie night would be great. The only change since our GTG in the summer is the second projector so over all light output is higher and HDR is more dramatic for sure.

As you know it wouldn't feel right without you after all these years. I remember the first meet I went to I can't remember where that was we all sat around in the room introduced ourselves and recited what equipment we had etc. That had to be around 2000.

There are few details to iron out and after that you'll be the first to know.

Art

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hello Art, so incredible.... I'm looking forward to seeing more pics and updates so please keep em coming....!
and Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Gotta love this group. The passion still going strong after so many years. :)
Thanks Craig ! Summer won't be great time for a meet we are having the family reunion here with several folks coming over from Deutschland so I think it will be this winter. Have to give Ron a ride.;)

Art

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks Craig ! Summer won't be great time for a meet we are having the family reunion here with several folks coming over from Deutschland so I think it will be this winter. Have to give Ron a ride.;)

Art
Yeah Art, I'd drive to Craig's in my Flex and let him drive from there this time...and whenever is convenient for you, we'll look forward to it!

It's funny I found this thread today, because I thought of you recently when I (finally) watched Oz the Great and Powerful (with James Franco)...the movie starts out with a black and white 4:3 image in the center of the screen, for the first 5-10 minutes. Of course that made me think of you!

Reactions: suffolk112000

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Sounds great Art...
I'll PM you around mid January to see what works for you. 😀

Craig,
Looks like for a meet (not a movie night) we will be February right now. I spent a few hours with it last night and I think this is just something that folks will have to see. Showing images here isn't much good since the huge light jump is largely for HDR performance and this has to be experienced. I did run it through some fun at the beginning of the 4K HDR Blade Runner 2049 ; I think the family and I will watch this tonight but, at Ken's behest, I wanted to see the opening and what Mark Seaton's work could do. Additionally ,this allowed me a bit of testing of the stability of the enclosure with both projectors on it and aligned. Even at minus 10 with my pants and hair flapping and the floor shaking the projectors didn't change.
This is one of those concerns from the outset regarding this set up .We built the enclosure to not touch the walls or be even indirectly coupled to them or the floor in the projection room.

Art

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
Yeah Art, I'd drive to Craig's in my Flex and let him drive from there this time...and whenever is convenient for you, we'll look forward to it!

It's funny I found this thread today, because I thought of you recently when I (finally) watched Oz the Great and Powerful (with James Franco)...the movie starts out with a black and white 4:3 image in the center of the screen, for the first 5-10 minutes. Of course that made me think of you!
I recall driving to a meet when you had your monster Cadillac (CTS-V?) - I remember looking in my rear view mirror - and I was probably doing close to 100MPH - and you were coming up on me like missile! It was hilarious and scary at the same time!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I recall driving to a meet when you had your monster Cadillac (CTS-V?) - I remember looking in my rear view mirror - and I was probably doing close to 100MPH - and you were coming up on me like missile! It was hilarious and scary at the same time!!
hahaha - yeah, that's a great memory! And the Hellcat is even faster... :)

Reactions: suffolk112000

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Craig,
Looks like for a meet (not a movie night) we will be February right now. I spent a few hours with it last night and I think this is just something that folks will have to see. Showing images here isn't much good since the huge light jump is largely for HDR performance and this has to be experienced. I did run it through some fun at the beginning of the 4K HDR Blade Runner 2049 ; I think the family and I will watch this tonight but, at Ken's behest, I wanted to see the opening and what Mark Seaton's work could do. Additionally ,this allowed me a bit of testing of the stability of the enclosure with both projectors on it and aligned. Even at minus 10 with my pants and hair flapping and the floor shaking the projectors didn't change.
This is one of those concerns from the outset regarding this set up .We built the enclosure to not touch the walls or be even indirectly coupled to them or the floor in the projection room.

Art
That sounds great Art, can't wait to see it!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Well, February will be great. Just let us know and we'll be there.
I'm sure I'm not overstepping by speaking for Ron as well...lol. 😁

.....additionally ,this allowed me a bit of testing of the stability of the enclosure with both projectors on it and aligned. Even at minus 10 with my pants and hair flapping and the floor shaking the projectors didn't change.
Amazing...
I can't wait to feel it in person.

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
OK !!!!
I want to thank Ken Whitcomb ,Chris Cooley and Mark Seaton for what my family experienced tonight !! We watched Blade Runner 2049 in 4K in my theater. I can say without reservation that this was the greatest home theater experience of my life.

The combination of size, light, clarity and room shaking base ,together, was beyond anything yet for me. No single aspect or component made this but the integration and a great film was the thing.

Anyway , I'll stop gushing for now but I want to thank all of those who have worked hard to make this happen for me...thanks !!!

P.S. Let me throw in Jim Peterson , a man I've never met or even spoken to but I know, from others, through his Lumagen and almost unbelievable support, really has made my theater possible.

Art

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
Wow! After 20 some years, it looks like all the pieces have finally come together. Congrats!!

What a benchmark for excellence! I can’t wait to experience it personally! I’ll bring the wine!:D

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Wow! After 20 some years, it looks like all the pieces have finally come together. Congrats!!

What a benchmark for excellence! I can’t wait to experience it personally! I’ll bring the wine!:D

Jeff, I certainly appreciate the wine but having you over is the big deal. When I do something here you get it.

Art

·
Registered
26,857 Posts
Jeff, I certainly appreciate the wine but having you over is the big deal. When I do something here you get it.

Art
Really appreciate that. It’s always a treat to see you and Angela and spend time chatting.

But regarding the offer to bring the wine, I recall your last meet I wanted to pick up something locally but couldn’t find anything that I wanted to drink. So I was a little embarrassed by what I brought. I know it’s not a hugest deal to you but I think something much more much more fun to drink.

It was great seeing Ken and Mark at your house last time as well. Ken brought a real treat of a bottle of wine. My only regret is I didn’t have time to shoot pool with anybody.

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

41 - 60 of 171 Posts