AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Hey Art,

Can you post some pictures of the screen from head-on center perpendicular? Most of the pics so far look great, but are shot from the sides.

Yes I can. I did them that way because at that angle I could get the whole screen in the image and be close enough that details could be resolved (off angle close to the screen).

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Just for the fun of it after I watched Our Man in Havana I decided to look at parts of Lawrence of Arabia this time with both projectors running at 100%.

I read someone say there can be too much light and I'm sure that that is true but I haven't seen it yet. I'd have to say for sitting in a dark room however this would have to be pretty close.

Everything looks better particularly the color saturation of things like the reds in the clothing the blue sky etc.

These, as usual, do no justice but I was asked for some straight on taken from my phone:

Second image, lower right usual glass of Firesteed, I have today off.:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Art,
Here is a funny question. Would you believe a stacked 885 would make a better picture than a single 5000? When you turn the light levels down on both your projectors (equal light) is the picture better than when you ran a single 5000? I’m in an unusual position deciding how I want to light up a 14ft wide screen. I already own an 885 and would either need to sell my 885 and buy a 5000 or go dual 885s. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts or Ken’s.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
otismojo; said:
Art,
Here is a funny question. Would you believe a stacked 885 would make a better picture than a single 5000? When you turn the light levels down on both your projectors (equal light) is the picture better than when you ran a single 5000? I’m in an unusual position deciding how I want to light up a 14ft wide screen. I already own an 885 and would either need to sell my 885 and buy a 5000 or go dual 885s. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts or Ken’s.

I will chime in as this is something Ken and I have talked extensively about.

In the above described scenario, you would be much better off with a single 5000ES.

The 5000ES has a superior lens, and you won’t have to worry about dealing with a stack.

I am doing a 5000ES stack, but that is only due to the fact that there is no other real option for 10k lumens and 15k:1 Contrast.

Being that a single unit does exist to meet your needs, you would be better off going that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Art,

I agree with Chris, set up ,maintenance lower quality lens etc all say one 5000. If there were a single projector that could do what my stack is doing it would be a strong consideration just for simplicity sake but there isn't.

Art

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
That is fantastic, I keep trying to talk myself out of a Sony stack, and you go and post pictures like that, Shame on you Art!!!!!!!!!!!

Well ,interestingly Ken set up on a remote a way to mute each projector so you can see what you are doing if you want to touch up the focus etc and when you click back both ,especially HDR when they are both running at 100% ,it's like you went from an overcast to a sunny day bang !

Art

·
Registered
1,628 Posts

They say a picture is worth a thousand words!

What the photo doesn’t show is the amount of work and effort it takes to achieve such perfection!

What I love most about this passion/hobby we all share, is those moments where everything comes together just perfectly.

Then you watch an incredible movie for the first time on your new system and for the next few hours all you can think is, I’ll never forget this experience.

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
They say a picture is worth a thousand words!

What the photo doesn’t show is the amount of work and effort it takes to achieve such perfection!

What I love most about this passion/hobby we all share, is those moments where everything comes together just perfectly.

Then you watch an incredible movie for the first time on your new system and for the next few hours all you can think is, I’ll never forget this experience.

Yes ! and Yes ! I love the gear but it's how it improves the experience of not only new films eg. Atmos, UHD HDR etc but also so many old films . Hell, I watched The Cabinet of Dr Caligari the other night and it looked more impressive.

Art

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Wow, just got done reading this whole thread. Simply astounding. :eek:

Are there any gamers in your network of family and friends, Art? If you want access to even more face-melting eye-candy, you really owe it to yourself to witness some of the newer HDR-enabled videogames like Horizon Zero Dawn or Destiny 2 on your system. Please do not take this as any sort of negative commentary. Let me be clear - what you have achieved here (what ALL of you have achieved) is presently beyond my comprehension. I'm only attempting to add to your experience, not detract in any way.

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Wow, just got done reading this whole thread. Simply astounding. :eek:

Are there any gamers in your network of family and friends, Art? If you want access to even more face-melting eye-candy, you really owe it to yourself to witness some of the newer HDR-enabled videogames like Horizon Zero Dawn or Destiny 2 on your system. Please do not take this as any sort of negative commentary. Let me be clear - what you have achieved here (what ALL of you have achieved) is presently beyond my comprehension. I'm only attempting to add to your experience, not detract in any way.

I'm not a video game guy. I have let one of my son's use it but I think in the end he just preferred his gaming nest in his room.

Art

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
I wanted to post something interesting I think. Since the camera corrects for light there isn't a way to convey how this looks actually sitting there watching it. I took a few with a pattern which is for contrast evaluation through the Lumagen.

The first is the pattern as the the camera corrected for the light. The second shows the image being projected from the stack ,the last is more what the room actually looks like when the pattern is up !:cool::D

Art

121 - 140 of 171 Posts