AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
24,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Art, that last image is simply unbelievable. It looks like you could get a suntan with a full 100 IRE field!
That's what I thought too. When I brought up the patterns ,and I have been just using the reference fine grid that I had posted earlier, and it isn't particularly bright, but when I scrolled through this one came up and I just started laughing.

Art

·
Registered
24,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Art first I would thank you for sharing this, do still think(if I remember old posts right) about to chance the fabric to woven V6, if I compare this picture with my V6 i have to ask you ? Light will no issue anymore

Light is no issue ,however, when I had a single projector and looked at the various weave fabrics the reduction in light was too much of a sacrifice. I therefore made the decision to use Stewart for the new 16' screen and Studiotech 130 surface. . I plan to change out the material but to the 1.0 Stewart material to have compatibility with the frame and attachment system.

Art

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
stupid question, how do you do 3d with this setup, is it one projector synced to glasses with the other just playing the 3d signal or passive with one projector for each eye(assuming you do 3D)?

·
Registered
24,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
stupid question, how do you do 3d with this setup, is it one projector synced to glasses with the other just playing the 3d signal or passive with one projector for each eye(assuming you do 3D)?
I don't care for 3D. Ken has another 5000 stack for which the owner is the opposite of me and is a big 3D fan. Perhaps he will chime in here and discuss it.

Art

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
As usual. Very nicely done Art. Thanks very much for sharing. And this thread was a pleasure to read.

You've certainly come a long way forward from your original Runco stack.:D

·
Registered
24,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
As usual. Very nicely done Art. Thanks very much for sharing. And this thread was a pleasure to read.

You've certainly come a long way forward from your original Runco stack.:D

Yes, I think I had like 500 lumens to work with. I think it topped out at 720p or so but it brought me a lot of pleasure in those days.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Yes, I think I had like 500 lumens to work with. I think it topped out at 720p or so but it brought me a lot of pleasure in those days.
All of your theater incarnations have been impressive, and a real inspiration to a lot of folks. Extremely well thought out, and implemented... pushing the limits of what was possible at each stage in their evolution. I believe that a large number of people have benefited tremendously from you sharing your journeys, through the years.

·
Registered
24,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
All of your theater incarnations have been impressive, and a real inspiration to a lot of folks. Extremely well thought out, and implemented... pushing the limits of what was possible at each stage in their evolution. I believe that a large number of people have benefited tremendously from you sharing your journeys, through the years.
Thanks for that ! I wish I could have the time for more get togethers they are a lot of fun.

Art

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
The former, as a special screen fabric is required for optimal passive 3D.

Ken Whitcomb

·
Registered
796 Posts
So for the last few days, I have been asking if dual projectors is feasible, particularly for boosting HDR. Then somebody sent me the link here, and I am in awe.

Art, what exactly does the Lumagen add to the mix? You mentioned tone mapping....are both projectors shooting exactly the same simultaneous image, or are they handling different duties(ie one shooting midtones, the other highlights)?

Again, truly a humbling thread.

·
Registered
24,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #154 (Edited)
So for the last few days, I have been asking if dual projectors is feasible, particularly for boosting HDR. Then somebody sent me the link here, and I am in awe.

Art, what exactly does the Lumagen add to the mix? You mentioned tone mapping....are both projectors shooting exactly the same simultaneous image, or are they handling different duties(ie one shooting midtones, the other highlights)?

Again, truly a humbling thread.
Presently the Lumagen is used for tone mapping and switching, delivering the same signal to both projectors splitting with a one in two out HDMI splitter just before the projectors.

The HDR now really has enough light to see a dramatic difference. When I had one 5000 HDR really was a wash compared to SDR as to which one looked better on a given title with my size screen.

Art

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I wanted to post something interesting I think. Since the camera corrects for light there isn't a way to convey how this looks actually sitting there watching it. I took a few with a pattern which is for contrast evaluation through the Lumagen.

The first is the pattern as the the camera corrected for the light. The second shows the image being projected from the stack ,the last is more what the room actually looks like when the pattern is up !:cool::D

Art
Hey Art, seeing that third pic made me wonder how good your black and white movies look now - with sunglasses on!

Reactions: Reddig

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Hey Art, seeing that third pic made me wonder how good your black and white movies look now - with sunglasses on!
Ya Art is one of the few guys that has to wear sunscreen before he watches a movie.:cool:

141 - 160 of 171 Posts