Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All--

Does anybody know whether the component input on the 5050/5900 is just a pass-though or whether the video is actually decoded? Further, is there any way to use the input in a non-Entre daisy-chain setup?

Thanks!

Dan

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The MPEG decoding would be done on the unit actually playing the disk, so the component inputs on a second daisy chained unit would be receiving a decoded MPEG stream, not a raw undecoded signal. So in a sense, the answer is yes, there is no manipulation of the signal on the player receiving the stream through its component inputs.

You can daisy chain up to three of the Kenwoods and you do NOT need an Entre to do it. The remote on the 5900 allows you to pick which player to control. However, the library function only works for the player you are currently controlling. It won't give you a listing of data culminated from all connected players. I think the Entre will give you a listing of your entire cataloge from all connected players, but so far the Entre will not control more than one player.

Hope this helps,

Ken

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken: Thanks for giving it a shot on a woefully imprecise question. When I say "decode" the video, I mean a video analog-to-digital conversion (analog component to Bt. 656 digital component). When I say "pass-through", I mean an analog-to-analog transaction with some switching involved.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
It would be nice to use the de-interlacer for something other than DVDs.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dschmelzer
Ken: Thanks for giving it a shot on a woefully imprecise question. When I say "decode" the video, I mean a video analog-to-digital conversion (analog component to Bt. 656 digital component). When I say "pass-through", I mean an analog-to-analog transaction with some switching involved.
I have the 5900 and the 5050. I believe the inputs are strictly pass throughs. This goes for the component and s-video inputs. What goes in is what comes out, untouched.

I asked the same question months ago. I was thinking that the 5900 could be used as a video processor for other sources. I forget who answered the question, but it's in these threads somewhere.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick: You're the bearer of bad news! ;) Oh well... I would have been happy with 480i digitization for my diabolical schemes.

That 500 post thread can be a little daunting when you're searching for a specific piece of information.

Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Dan,

This is quite interesting - if possible...

Before deciding whether to get a 5900M I had asked around whether when daisy-chained they each first decoded the signal, or whether it was converted in the final player of the chain.

If I recall correctly, one can't have a single unit at the end of the chain either output SDI (with mods) or do the DCDi deinterlacing prior to digital to analog conversion.

I'd like to be able to feed the decompressed D1 digital from a second unit to the primary changer, modded for SDI out. If this is feasable without extensive surgery, keep me posted. :)

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"I'd like to be able to feed the decompressed D1 digital from a second unit to the primary changer, modded for SDI out. If this is feasable without extensive surgery, keep me posted."

Am I that transparent?! ;)

Will do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.