AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the setup for the player, you can choose between "normal" black level setting at 7.5 IRE, or enhanced, at 0 IRE.

It's easy to flip back and forth with an a/b testing of it, and, as a result, I leave the enhanced black level setting ON for both the 5900 and the 5050.

This may be display device dependent (and, in my case, processor-dependent--I use the interlaced outputs to a Faroudja NR) . . . but the enhanced black level is, in my viewing room, a distinct improvement over the normal black level setting.

Anyone else try it? I'd be interested to hear.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Most DVD players now have these two settings. I almost always use the Enhanced 0 IRE for progressive signals, because it theoretically may give you more contrast range, but for most movies it doesn't really make much difference once you recalibrate. See below.

Be aware that you need to reset your brightness and contrast settings on the TV or DVD player when you change these values.

Just switching back and forth without any other changes is just lowering or raising the IRE level defined as black by 7.5 points.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really did not have to readjust the brightness. In fact, what I tried to do was tone down the brightness and contrast while using the 7.5 IRE level, to see if the same result could be achieved with my display, and I couldn't. I have contrast and brightness adjustments with my CRT projector, but also with my NR video processor.

I saw a difference without making any adjustments, but I know what you're talking about. I used to have a Sony D50Q projector, which is a nice 7" CRT, but not as bright as my current projector. While I liked what the enhanced black level added (I think the player was a Toshiba 5109), I did have to reject it ultimately, because I couldn't compensate for the darkness it added to contrast with brightness adjustments.

Still, you can even switch back and forth while in the menu, and get a sense for what I'm talking about. Perhaps your display will require adjustments, but mine did not. That's why I tried to adjust the displays from the normal black level, to see if there was something missing there in the first instance. Couldn't find it.

Nick :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.