AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be a good idea to break out the discussions on how to find particular discs into a new thread to make it easier for others to browse when looking for tips on finding their discs.

I personally have a pretty long list of missing titles, and I'll list them here, broken down into categories. Perhaps others will post their missing lists here, and I and others can post the search terms that we have used to find them (if, indeed, we have found them)

Missing Movies

I have only one: The Captain's Paradise

Missing TV Related Disks

Streets of Laredo

Gulliver's Travels

Jeeves & Wooster, The Complete 1st Season, Volumes 1 and 2

Jeeves & Wooster, The Complete 2nd Season, Volumes 1 and 2

(note that seasons 3 and 4 are found)

Monty Python's Flying Circus DVDs 1, 5 and 6 (all others get found)

Sabrina the Teenage Witch: Friends Forever

Missing Baseball Titles

Great Baseball Movies

Majoe League Baseball: Memorable Moments

Major League Baseball: Rising Sons

Major League Baseball: The Ultimate Bllooper Collection

Major League Baseball: Unhittable -- No Hitters, Perfect Games and Near Misses

Missing Pop Music Titles

Classic Albums: Bob Marley and the Wailers Catch A Fire

Classic Albums: Meat Loaf Bat Out of Hell

(note that all the other disks in this series are found)

Jimi Hendrix Live at the Fillmore East

Hot Tuna Electric Celestial Blues Live at the Fillmore

John Lennon Gimme Some Truth - The Making of Imagine

Saturday Night Live 25 Years of Music volumes 1-5

Missing Opera Titles

The Golden Ring (this is a BBC documentary on the recording of Gotterammerung by Sir Georg Solti -- If you get the idea that I am a Wagner freak, you're right)

Der Ring Des Niebulungen (Bayeruther Festspiele) a 7 disk set which includes the following operas:

Das Rheingold

Die Walkure

Siegfried

Gotterammerung

Der Ring Des Niebulungen (Metropolitan Opera) a 7 disk set which includes the following operas:

Das Rheingold

Die Walkure

Siegfried

Gotterammerung

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
The thread arrives.

There's a decent comedy called Trial And Error with Michael Richards, Rip Torn, Charlize Theron, and Jeff Daniels.

The disc is not recognized, and, on a title search, I get "Trial And Error: The Dock Brief" or something like that.

More to come.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have 4 unknown music DVDs. Not DVD-Audio discs.

Metallica - Live ****: Binge And Purge (Disc 1) San Diego

Metallica - Live ****: Binge And Purge (Disc 2) Seattle

Metallica - St. Anger (Bonus DVD)

3 Doors Down - Away From The Sun (Bonus DVD)

Bob

Edit: Oops, guess you can't say the "S" word on the forum.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Nick Satullo
There's a decent comedy called Trial And Error with Michael Richards, Rip Torn, Charlize Theron, and Jeff Daniels.
I don't know if it will work, but did you try to substitute an ampersand for the "and" and also try both "And" and "and"?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rbienstock
I don't know if it will work, but did you try to substitute an ampersand for the "and" and also try both "And" and "and"?
I'm sure I did, but I just retried it. The ampersand didn't work like this:

Trial &, or like this: Trial&. I tried both: Trial And, and Trial and--both of these produce the 1962 movie Trial and Error (The Dock Brief).

One more to add: The Ref

Although I do get Reform School Girls, or something like that. Almost makes me want to order it ;)

Nick :cool:

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I only have a few.

The Song Remains the Same and Fast Times at Ridgemont High

and of course all the DVD Audio:)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Lost World: " will find it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Ok, I'm trying to find Volume Two (season three) of Family Guy and season two of 24.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Disc 3: The Appendices Part One - From Book to Vision

Disc 4: The Appendices Part Two - From Vision to Reality

Sent to [email protected] on 6Sep2003

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottF200
Disc 3: The Appendices Part One - From Book to Vision

Disc 4: The Appendices Part Two - From Vision to Reality

Sent to [email protected] on 6Sep2003
What's wrong with the cover art from the set (which gets found for disks 1 and 2)?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Absolute Power

I think there is something wrong with the database on this one. If you do a search in open globe, you only get one hit, the correct one, "Absolute Power (1997)

Sleeping Beauty

Open Globe does not seem to have the new version in their database. Haven't emailed kenwood yet.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Quote:
What's wrong with the cover art from the set (which gets found for disks 1 and 2)?
I should have been more clear. a) I'm looking for more than cover art. b) I'm looking for the info text (info button) as well. c) It actually is my expectation that the Entre will find the missing titles itself. It did not find 3 & 4. Thus my request to the KW e-mail address.

If you only want this thread to be for titles which can be found by using the manual search and the remote keypad (or keyboard for those who want them). I was thinking any missing title. No problem either way. Just state your preference. If you want to allow both then future post can be more clear on how the titles are missing. 1) Entre can't locate them 2) Even a manual search can't seem to locate them. For #1 this could be helpful to show others that it wasn't just their Entre (you eluded to in other post a cached database stored locally that is used sometimes).

At the minimum "Lord of the Rings:" needs to be typed in the manual search if you only want cover art for 3 & 4.

I guess I could use my remote keyboard to update the description as well but I'm not that crazy. Of course I could also update the XML file and FTP it back to the Entre . Actually that way I could cut-n-paste from other sources that have the descriptions on the internet. Then again I'm not sure that'd be safe. That'd be better than getting a keyboard for the Entre...or I may break down.

Regards,

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottF200
If you only want this thread to be for titles which can be found by using the manual search and the remote keypad (or keyboard for those who want them). I was thinking any missing title. No problem either way. Just state your preference. If you want to allow both then future post can be more clear on how the titles are missing.
Oh, man, just 'cause I started this thread, doesn't mean that I own it. :) Post whatever you like at any time. I just misunderstood what you were looking for. It surely would be great if the supplemental features had a separate description on the info screens. Unfortunately, I've found that a great many 2 disk sets just have the same descriptions for both disks if the second discs are found at all. I've sort of given up on that and just used the cover art from the first disc.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is something I've been musing about recently. I know where the CD database comes from -- it started life as CDDB and was user-generated, and, I think, still is except for the cover art. But I've never seen any program that allows users to upload and share DVD data other than DVD Profiler, and it is pretty certain that OG aren't tapping in to that database (if only!). So where does this stuff come from and why can't we, as users, submit disc info for titles that are truly missing instead of just not found?

BTW, I think that that last point is an important distinction. One wonders why sometimes one reports a missing title and it later shows up while others are never, ever, found. I suspect that that is because the data is there, but, for some reason, searches don't find it.

Lastly, someone over on the main thread mentioned that they were in contact with someone in tech support at Escient. I wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile to try to contact them directly about some of these search issues as this seems to be low down on Kenwood's radar screen.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Quote:
...It surely would be great if the supplemental features had a separate description on the info screens. Unfortunately, I've found that a great many 2 disk sets just have the same descriptions for both disks if the second discs are found at all. I've sort of given up on that and just used the cover art from the first disc.
Thanks. I'll try to be clear in subsequent post. a) no auto but yes manual or b) no manual.

I think you may be right about the text being the same. It seems I've been surprised in the past several months that the 'bonus' disc or extra are automatically being found by the Entre/OG. When they are not I always write to point it out.

Quote:
...So where does this stuff come from...
Related to LOTR I saw their info was exact text from various descriptions on the net so I'd guess that was standard...although I did not find that description text with my DVDs.

OTOH, I did find their info about "Discs 1-2" did match exactly to what was on my DVD box. They just didn't continue and put on Disc 3 and Disc 4 info. Perhaps they have an input box limitation in their GUI that a 'temp' uses to enter this stuff.

BTW, I did notice a couple of things. They had "Discs 1-2:" instead of "Discs 1 & 2". Perhaps their app has a problem with "&". Also I noticed in the description that other text on the net had "of the" not capitalized in The Lord of the Rings: Fellowships of the Ring BUT on the Entre's description it was. As I recall you mentioned something like this in titles.

A couple of these things are making me think someone is typing these in a database. Anyone every see a word mistyped/misspelled in their text?? That would give us a clue they are manually doing it as well.

I don't know about their heuristics for matching. I'm pretty sure I read that in a manual on the OG/Escient site that they are using heuristics but I guess that is open to interpretation. I think of rule-based systems using best guesses for matches and not of checksum stuff when I see/read that word.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I think at the very least, if you can find something in Open Globe, you should be able to find it in the Entre. Don't they use the same database?

Hate to mention it again, but Absolute Power is in Open Globe, but not found by the entre search engine.

Also, why don't they make the database available on the web and searchable? That has to be a weekend project that some interns can do.

If someone could also ask tech support why automatic lookups fail when they had worked in the past.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Slocko,

Try the "Lookup Disc" again, for Sleeping Beauty -- I just bought this on Saturday and it did find it on it's own.

Quote:
Originally posted by slocko
Absolute Power

I think there is something wrong with the database on this one. If you do a search in open globe, you only get one hit, the correct one, "Absolute Power (1997)

Sleeping Beauty

Open Globe does not seem to have the new version in their database. Haven't emailed kenwood yet.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.