AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an a Kenwood kr-v6050 a while ago without a remote, so i programed my dish remote to it using the AUX button, all it controls is power, volume and inputs.

When i went through the owners manual i found that there is a center mode, NORMAL - WIDE RANGE - PHANTOM

My amp i s currently set to NORMAL but I would like to set it to WIDE RANGE because I have an extended range center channel ( kenwood cs-01 )

Is it possible to access these modes without a remote? Hacks? I dont mind opening the amp

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QoverQ  /t/1470408/kenwood-kr-v6050-center-mode-issue#post_23255797

I bought an a Kenwood kr-v6050 ... When i went through the owners manual i found that there is a center mode, NORMAL - WIDE RANGE - PHANTOM

My amp i s currently set to NORMAL but I would like to set it to WIDE RANGE because I have an extended range center channel ( kenwood cs-01 )...
Hi QoverQ

I have a slightly different Kenwood still, but there the Center-Mode is set via a tothpick switch on the front panel. I doubt there is a way to switch without an original remote from these early series, or a generic one that mimics that specific remote control. You see, the follow up KRV-xx60 series had moved that button from the remote to the main chassis - back in 1995??!.

However - as long as Your L+R speaker setup is the same low freq. quality or better there is almost no recognizable difference. Normal puts sub 100 Hz freq to the L+R channels, wide keeps em on the center, phantom distributes all frequencies to L+R. Below 100Hz freq. can hardly be located by humans in normal houshold room conditions. I can tell the difference from phantom to normal, but not from normal to wide, admitting I have proper/similar speakers for all that setup.... So it might not be worth the hassle to make it happen - the center spker you have goes as low as 60hz only - you might very well have better ones on the L+R, no? .... see also http://www.d-r.nl/F.A.Q/dolbyprologictekst.htm Pro Logic center mode control

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your help. My L+R fronts are Kenwood JL535's 8 ohms 140-160 watt area. Ive ran a bass test and 45 Hz is about the limit for clean sound.

Another problem ive been having is "clipping" at half volume on the left and right channels.

Stereo(bypass) improves the situation pas half volume but when i use the Dolby 3 stereo setting it clips annoyingly

My owners manual says bypass -100+100 watts per channel and Dolby 3 - 65+65+65 watts LCR

How do i loose watts on surround modes?

My bass and treble are both +4 dB + an EQ

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hi QoverQ

i guess the amplifier is maxed out in your speaker setup, it's simple as that. It has 200watts maximum for stereo or 3d stereo, either shared for two or three speakers. The bypass avoids the signaling modes of the dolby chips altogether. http://www.manualslib.com/products/Kenwood-Kr-V6050-592813.html . The receiver is designed for 8-16 ohm speakers in mind, so the volume knob might be already at max half way up depending on the ohms of the speakers. Google speaker 4, 6, 8, 16 ohms for further information on those kind of things I suggest.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read up on what "loudness" does and i turn it off completely at high volume, problem solved.

This amp works great for music, but is limited for movies. Im leaning towards a reasonably priced kenwood vr-306 + 6 ch DAC ( already got a dac )

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QoverQ  /t/1470408/kenwood-kr-v6050-center-mode-issue#post_23378494

...This amp works great for music, but is limited for movies...
By todays standards it surely is limited for movies, it can provide a "fair enough" room experience though (admitting I had a separate EQ to adjust for spk/room issues early on). I'm just wondereing how mine (6060) keeps going strong, since 1997 now. I gues I'll keep it forever for secondary room and backup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.