AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to a forum member (Lore), I was made privy to Crutchfield's esoteric 15% sale. Even though the market is tanking, I took President Bush's advice and decided to buy something substantial. I ordered the DV-5700 this morning and they promised it to me by tomorrow (Friday)afternoon. I am anxious to see how it mates up to my 200DM. If it lives up to half the hype I'm sure I'm going to be pleased. I will follow up with a "first look" review this weekend.

A little something to look forward to during all this darkness.

Cheers,

Peter M

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW!! After only one hour with the Kenwood DV-5700 I realized how bad I needed my Panasonic RP-91 back.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott:

I'm so exasperated at this point that I really don't feel like getting into all the specifics. But I will tell you that the picture quality of the DV-5700 is not even close to the quality of the RP91--and this is the second DV-5700 I've tried; I was convinced the first one had to be defective because of the ghastly image.

Just a few moments ago, my wife told me that when she first walked into the movie room she immediately noticed how inferior the image looked compared to our last DVD player (RP-91). However, she chose not to say anything at that moment because of the unsettled look on my face. After all, she did warn me not to sell the Panasonic until I was absolutely sure. But unfortunately, I didn't heed her advice.

It's late, but I'm hoping there's still enough time for E-Cost to process my order so I can have a DVD player for the weekend.

All I will say is this: If you got sucked into all the hype as I did--MAKE SURE YOU BUY FROM A PLACE THAT OFFERS A FAIR RETURN POLICY!

Regards,

Peter M

·
Registered
846 Posts
Shocking development. I am sorry for your frustration. The Kenwood looked darn good in their demo at CEDIA. Of course they controlled what they showed.

At any rate, it would be interesting to hear more about your setup, the material you used, and where it came up short.

Have you been able to validate through your display that the Kenwood is outputting 480P? It just seems very hard to believe that the Kenwood would perform that poorly against the RP91.

--Les

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Les,

I'm stuck with the Kenwood until Monday moring. Tell me what you want me to try and I'll do it tonight.

I have a Seleco 200DM and an 8 foot Stewart 1.3 gain screen.

My audio is McIntosh seperates with Magnapan speakers and Velodyne subwoofers.

Ciao,

Peter M

·
Registered
846 Posts
Peter,

Well, I looked on their website for a manual, hoping there would be something I could use in order to formulate useful direction. Unfortunately, the manual is not online. So I'll have to go on what I know about this specific player, aka: not much.

In the demo, the technician showed that the sage chip could be engaged or disengaged. He also showed that there were advanced settings where the performance of the chip could be tweaked.

My suggestion is to first find the switch to turn the chip on and off. View images in both states and note any improvement. Next, find the tweak menu for the chip and play around with its settings. Again, note any improvements, if any.

BTW, what type of connection are you using between the Kenwood and the Seleco?

--Les

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.