AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at getting a new reciever for my home theater, all i really have the tv and a set of klipsh forte ii's. I was thinking of spending around $1000 but found the kenwood outlet had the 5900 for $1399. Is that worth it? Anyone have this unit and can enlighten me? Is there something else i should consider in this price range?

thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Haven't heard that specific model, but Kenwood does make solid components, especially in terms of reliability and durability. I heard a rumor that they might be getting out of the receiver business, though. Anyone else heard that?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Never heard about the 5090, but the 6070 can be had for a little over 300 USD. My first thought is that that would be a better one since it has a higher number, but it might not work that way. Come to think of it, the 5 in 5090 might mean 5 channels, so maybe this is an older 'super model'. I think 1390 sounds high in any case, you can get a legendary HK 8000 for about 1000 (requires extra stereo amp to output 7 channels, I believe).

Other than that, most manufacturers produce 6.1 or 7.1 receivers for less than 1300 that should work great

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I wouldn't get a Kenwood if my life depended on it. Despite the feature list the quality just isn't there. There are better alternatives depending on what your requirements and taste are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.