AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the component to dual VGA transcoder and it doesn't work well or at all.

I have it connected to the HD omponent output of a JVC HM30000u DVHS deck.

It doesn't produce a usable output in auto detect mode and in 1080i mode the image produced is full of horizontal streaks.


Is this a defective unit or am I possible doing something wrong?


Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
What cable is going from transcoder (15pin) to display - is it 15pin on other end too? Sounds like maybe a sync format issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VGA to VGA. Only one way to hook it up.


Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,204 Posts
My guess after building a ypBpR to VGA convertor for myself... Ask them if they are removing the tri-level sync on the RGB signals. True SMPTE 274 which the JVC outputs has tri-level sync on Y, pB , and pR. If they don't gate this out it can upset the clamping circuits in some monitors.


This is difficult to do properly. My unit has an internal sync generator to re-generate the blanking interval that cleans out the blanking of the converted RGB signal. Many of these cheaper convertors the the Audio Authority unit leave the sync on the RGB signals or do not fully remove it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Frank,


I have a key digital transcoder that I tried to use with a jvc dvhs connected to a g15 in my showroom. I never got it to work (and now it is laying on a shelf somewhere...)


Ironically, one of my reps was here today trying to tell me why I should start selling the Leeza....great price...free SDI dvd player...etc.


I told him that since...as a dealer...I have been ignored by Key Digital, I would not sell any of their products.


I have emailed Michael Lachter many times, and he finally gave me a persons name in tech service to call at KD. Well...after 2 messages, he never returned my call.


Now, when I call KD and try to get an operator, it puts me into a voicemail for Landmark Realty?


Based on the fact that they do not respond to dealer problems, I would guess that you will have no more luck than I did getting the transcoder to work. If you do...please post it here. But as of now, it looks terrible with my G15, even after trying some of Mark Fosters suggestions of changing the clamp and porch settings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Frank,


What projector are you using? I have not heard of anybody who has gotten it to work with a g15...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie
My guess after building a ypBpR to VGA convertor for myself... Ask them if they are removing the tri-level sync on the RGB signals. True SMPTE 274 which the JVC outputs has tri-level sync on Y, pB , and pR. If they don't gate this out it can upset the clamping circuits in some monitors.


This is difficult to do properly. My unit has an internal sync generator to re-generate the blanking interval that cleans out the blanking of the converted RGB signal. Many of these cheaper convertors the the Audio Authority unit leave the sync on the RGB signals or do not fully remove it.
I had a chance to put the AA 9A62 on a scope today and it does remove the sync from the RGB. It appears to produce VESA compliant VGA so it may be a good choice. It also comes with a VGA-to-BNC cable, which is a $25 value in itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help. It doesn't produce an ouput at all when set to auto detect mode no matter what I connect it to.

I tried putting it in 1080i mode and connecting it to my Samsung 240T and it works fine.

The transcoder is connected to a Vigatec and passed through to the RGBHV input to a JVC G20.

Since Tony couldn't get it to work with a G15 then It sounds like it is not compatible with DILA projectors.

I wish I had known that.

From what Glimmie wrote it sounds like it might be passing through the tri level sync and the DILA can't handle it.


No more products from Key Digital for me.


Frank
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
I just received the component to dual VGA transcoder and it doesn't work well or at all.

I have it connected to the HD omponent output of a JVC HM30000u DVHS deck.

It doesn't produce a usable output in auto detect mode and in 1080i mode the image produced is full of horizontal streaks.


Is this a defective unit or am I possible doing something wrong?


Frank
Frank,


I believe we exchange a few emails back and forth. Its possible that your transcoder is defective. You should return it back to dealer for exchange, and call Mike after you recieved a new one for set up help 718-601-2699.

Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acaciolo
Frank,


I have a key digital transcoder that I tried to use with a jvc dvhs connected to a g15 in my showroom. I never got it to work (and now it is laying on a shelf somewhere...)


Ironically, one of my reps was here today trying to tell me why I should start selling the Leeza....great price...free SDI dvd player...etc.


I told him that since...as a dealer...I have been ignored by Key Digital, I would not sell any of their products.


I have emailed Michael Lachter many times, and he finally gave me a persons name in tech service to call at KD. Well...after 2 messages, he never returned my call.


Now, when I call KD and try to get an operator, it puts me into a voicemail for Landmark Realty?


Based on the fact that they do not respond to dealer problems, I would guess that you will have no more luck than I did getting the transcoder to work. If you do...please post it here. But as of now, it looks terrible with my G15, even after trying some of Mark Fosters suggestions of changing the clamp and porch settings.
Tony,


how many transcoders do you have that do not work! I would guess that you bought them from a local distributor, please return it to them for credit. if you have any problems, you can email me mailto:[email protected] or my cell 917-653-0202.


We have 2 locations: Warehouse in Danbury, CT 20,000 square feet. Marketing office in NY that we share with 12 different company's, and once in a while the phone system shoots over to the wrong company.

Thank you
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,051 Posts
Those complaints abouts Key Digital are so weird. I have had the most amazing service with this company. When my Leeza wouldnt boot up because of an early software bug, they paid for fedex overnighting back and forth and got the unit back with updates within 5 days. I was also able to reach them on a Sunday to get help


When my Immersive modified Panny dvd players was connected to the Leeza, I couldnt get it to work and since I didnt know what was broken, the Leeza or the dvd player, KD loaned me one of their own modified panny 56 to see which wasnt working right


If I have any questions about the Leeza, I almost always get to talk to MIke the President and he helps with me with just about anything I ask for


So thats why I say it weird about the service you have received. They are amazing in that respect.


Oh yes, I am in no way affiliated with company, not married to anyone working there and as I live in LA, I am not phyiscally close to them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
Tony


i just left 2 messages with your secretary Jessica at 610-282-0235.


its possible that units do not work "well" with JVC. Please call tech support

203-778-0295 or Mike 646-391-7537 and we will get to the bottom of this issue.

My cell 917-653-0202

Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SurferDude



I had a chance to put the AA 9A62 on a scope today and it does remove the sync from the RGB. It appears to produce VESA compliant VGA so it may be a good choice. It also comes with a VGA-to-BNC cable, which is a $25 value in itself.
Are there any positive spikes in the blanking of the RGB? I never tested the AA CAVtoRGB but have heard many compatability problems with it. I assumed it was the sync in blanking issue.


It's sister, the RGBtoCAV is a great product if your display device can accept bi-level sync.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glimmie

Are there any positive spikes in the blanking of the RGB? I never tested the AA CAVtoRGB but have heard many compatability problems with it. I assumed it was the sync in blanking issue.
The AA unit had spikes on both the front and back porch areas where the sync was snuffed. I suspect it is the switching signal coupling through via the 2N7000s but that is only a guess. The spikes were fairly significant but I did not write down the size and duration.


My circuit uses the LT1399 gating signal to HiZ a buffer op amp during the sync period. This causes a small leading (front porch area) spike due to the delay from regenerating the sync with the Gennum chip, but no spike on the back porch side. As I recall, the spike in my circuit was much smaller than in the AA unit, and I believe, spikes on the front porch side are less likely to cause problems than the back porch side (where the AA unit has a pretty good one), since a lot of DC restore circuits try to use the back porch area.


You are correct, of course, that the broadcast studio (ie, professional) method is to genlock and regenerate the sync, then blank the entire interval without spikes. I don't know of a way to do this easily and cheaply (without using pots anyway), but to be honest, I haven't done much of a search for possible ICs. A friend of mine designed the LM1881 and that is kind of where I started. These (LM1881 and GS4981) don't phase lock/ genlock but just threshold detect. I also believe the genlock method will defeat the simple scramblers that push the sync up.


Did you find a cheap or easy method?


Another compatibility issue may be that people are trying to use it with sync on green systems, and the AA unit does not put sync on green in any mode that I found.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,211 Posts
do not forget that in some cases (i do not know if the JVC is like this) if you feed a projector a signal in a format it does not understand... it does not work.


I have a large DLP in one room that if i feed it a 720P signal in the RGBHV format (which works fine on my G90 and My other large DLP from the same source) it freaks out... the image has all sorts of noise, and streaks appear.


If i feed the same 720P but now as a Component signal... all is good.


If a projector is not programmed for both format and frequency, then there is nothing you can do. I think that the 11HT if it sees an RGBHV signal, then it won't go into widescreen mode.


THis is a common "ailment/issue" with display devices. SO do not be so quick as to blame the transcoder company. As you say it works on another device, then it is fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,100 Posts
I had similar problems which were caused by different displays reacting differently with different type of sync signals.


The JVC may be expecting bilevel sync and receiving tri-level (The correct one).


My old Fujitsu plasma wouldn't work with trilevel sync on HD sources, although that is the correct standard. Some components allow a switch from one type to another, but most do not!


On a personal note, I've had nothing but fantastic service from KD. For me, they weren't that difficult to get a hold of & I got top notch service. Just set up (almost 2 weeks now) one of their SDI enabled RP56 with a second modification (which CKNA, also on this forum has done) for multiregion &PAL support.


I'm also not affiliated with KD in any way.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top