AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
I believe they'll have both SDI and DVI input options as well as more things.

I think HDMI requires an additional $15,000 for the *annual* license (for a connector!!), so that's why you won't be seeing that many scalers supporting it right now...

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Or, $5000 plus $1 per unit. That's a lot more manageable, but still expensive for a low-volume application.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
It doesn't look as if it will take a HD signal on component inputs, leaving OTA RF or firewire as maybe the only scalable HD input.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Grant
Or, $5000 plus $1 per unit. That's a lot more manageable, but still expensive for a low-volume application.
Michael,

Is this an alternate license, also annual? Do you have a link to the relevant document?

·
Registered
842 Posts
It is true. I met with SI at CES and this is the new licensing scheme. We still need the $15k HDCP license though as it is not included in the HDMI licensing. Its fun writing these big checks when there is virtually 0 content that is flagged for this stuff. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
925 Posts
tom - well you need to get the asimilator to market to generate some more revenues ;) ;) ;)

doody.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Tom's got many plans to generate revenues, but that's off topic for this thread. :)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
My understanding is that any software that is flagged as copy protected will make the HDCP encryption active. In that resepct there is ALOT of copy protected DVD software that will make DVI and HDMI outputs encrypted.

The issue is more that there are few DVD sources that actually have HDMI or DVI HDCP outputs.

I presume Tom was commenting on your HD content though but just wanted to clear this up for anyone else reading.

Gordon

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalAV
The only encryption used for DVD's is CSS, which, if used, is enforced by macrovision, not HDCP.
That's true for the analog output, be it 480i or 480p. However, there's no MacroVision for DVI. It's my understanding that the DVD Forum has ruled that DVD players with DVI outputs must apply HDCP encryption for all discs where MacroVision would have been applied to an analog signal.

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
As Dale goes so do I.

The flags on a DVD just say "apply copy protection". THey do not stipulate what that is. For analogue the DVD Forum mandated Macrovision and for DVI it's HDCP. So if a DVD is flagged as copyprotected and your DVD player has a DVIHDCP or HDMI output it should encrypt. I got this info from John Dawson, the top guy at Arcam in the UK, manufacturer of rather good DVD players. He kindly gave a lecture about digital signal transmission interfaces at a show I organised in London area.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Actually, my understanding is not so much that the DVD Forum ruled definitively in favor of HDCP, but they had a hard deadline before which they could rule against it---and they let the deadline pass. The result is the same though: HDCP is required for DVI outputs. But the DVD Forum could very well have decided that HDCP was insufficient and ruled against it.

Remember when the first truly "legal" DVD players with DVI outputs starting coming out? (This excludes the Bravo and Momitsu players which do not conform to DVD Forum standards.) Well, their DVI outputs were initially disabled! When the deadline passed, these DVD player manufacturers could supply a firmware update to turn on their DVI outputs, but with HDCP encryption of course.

I guarantee that HD-DVD is going to have similar restrictions. Hopefully HDCP will be considered sufficient so we don't have to deal with yet another conversion nightmare.

·
Registered
842 Posts
"I presume Tom was commenting on your HD content though but just wanted to clear this up for anyone else reading."

Precisely. My comments were a bit tongue-in-cheek...or rather, I was simply whining about the licensing fees for all this stuff.

As far as HD-DVD, to my knowledge there has been no finalization of the copy protection scheme other than indications that it will not be CSS. HDCP may well be used for the pipeline to get the data to the display - but the battle for what CP goes on the HD-DVD's is as up in the air as the HD-DVD standard itself IMO.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Yeah, HD-DVD's content protection system hasn't yet been finalized, I agree. But we can most certainly count on the fact that it will be protected, and in a more robust manner than for DVD...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.