AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but I have to agree with most of the people that are casual DVD viewers. Watching a 2.35:1 in a screen that is less or equal to 36" 4:3 is as bad as watching the P&S version. I understand when they choose the P&S format. Still on 1.85:1 material there are no excuses and I had found that most of the people find that acceptable even on a 36" 4:3 screen. After all they just want to get entertain.

In my case I use a projector with a 8' x 5' screen. I want it to be 5' for 4:3 material like concerts DVDs, etc. On widescreen material I had found that the height value to get a good visual experience, when sitting at a 12' distance, have to be greater or equal than 4'4" tall, which fit perfect for 1.85:1 material on the screen, but not good enough for 2.35:1 DVDs. It seems that I'm going to have to build a 11' wide screen and move the projector back and forth or use the zoom when watching different aspect ratios materials.

·
Registered
28,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lahire_trebual
Sorry but I have to agree with most of the people that are casual DVD viewers. Watching a 2.35:1 in a screen that is less or equal to 36" 4:3 is as bad as watching the P&S version.
Get over it.

You will be amazed at how the quality of your life improves once you set aside irrational prejudices against the black bars.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Josh Z
... once you set aside irrational prejudices against the black bars.
Josh,

I think you may have picked up the wrong end of the stick on this one.

I don't think lahire_trebual has a problem with black bars as such. I think the point being made was that without sufficient width (and therefore image height) a 2.35:1 movie is not the experience it should be. A point I'm in complete agreement with.

lahire_trebual, correct me if I'm wrong, in which case it is me who has missed your point completely!

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
When I bought my first DVD player I owned a 19" TV, and I'll tell you that letterbox films on it were a drag. Then I bought a 31" TV and they were still a drag, if slightly less so. But it was always my personal opinion that butchered composition was even a bigger drag than the tiny picture. I'm a movie fan. I bought a projector. Now letterbox movies rock. Problem solved!!! I tend to think that the bottom line is that either you compromise or you don't. The unwashed masses out there can watch whatever they want.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Its funny, I got my parents a 19" TV + DVD combo. Yeah, I know, yucko but it met their needs of not having to take down/set up as they spend 1/2 time in two different houses and leaving a setup at their beach house is as good as donating it to a crack head. (they can move the 19", anything bigger would be impossible).

Any way, we watched some DVDs on it. Basically, 2.35 is painfull to watch. The P&S versions were just OK but gave (slightly) more immersive experience. all things considered, the P&S versions work best for them

On my 96" wide screen, 2.35 is a joy and OAR is the only thing that makes sense. If I had the room, I would have gone wider (so I could get taller at 2.35)

·
Registered
270 Posts
i have a 36" set and i got no problems with it i wish i could get a larger screen but lack of funds and room makes that impossible. a 2.35:1 on a 36" screen gives about 32" diagonal

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
constant height/variable width is definitely where its at.

the main reason i wanted a pj, and made a cart for it ( with adjustable shelves for the different aspect ratios) was to try to replicate that widescreen feeling- which is even more fun when you've just finished watching smaller 'full screen' material.

i've been a lifelong OAR-facist ever since i first saw that odd looking copy of Manhattan on vhs ( the one with the light grey letterbox bars).

but i sympathize with people who hate seeing the bars eat up all that nice screen real estate they paid for.

a tip for rp and larger direct view owners-

if you are watching letterbox material on a 4:3 set- build some mattes.

you will be very surprised how much this enhances your enjoyment -if viewing in a darkened room-

·
Premium Member
4,926 Posts
There's nothing wrong with 2:35 material on a 19" direct view set. Just don't make your viewing distance more than 30" or so... :)

Cary

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
My TV watching is split between my HT and a 19" screen in the bedroom.

Personally, I have absolutely no problem with 1.78:1 material on the 19".

With 2.35:1 material, the letterboxing bugs me at first, but on a good movie I end up forgetting all about it and enjoying the show.

However, PBS recently showed Ben-Hur in full 2:76:1. I know there are a lot of OAR only-fans around here, but it just looked ridiculous on my 19" 4:3 screen.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i agree with the poster that mentioned that a constant height screen is the way to go..i too think that having a large screen only to see "black" bars sucks!!when i get a home and can really setup my theater the way i want,i will go with a constant height set up and use side masking.

brickie

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JoshZ, Joebwan

I don't like P&S, don't buy it, not even rent movies in that format. I always watch movies in OAR. But I have to agree with people that want to watch P&S movies on 4:3 sets that measures less than 36".

Jcmccorm

30" yeah right! :D ha!

Taking your point seriously, in my opinion sitting closer only works if the sound came from your TV speakers but when you add surround speakers you can't do that.

FredProgGH, Philba

IMO, even with a projector and a 8' X 5' screen, >2.35:1 material doesn't feel right when sitting at 12'.

Ckolchal, Brickie

And for me, when sitting at 12' the magic height value have to be greater than 4'4" for widescreen material and if you don't want to compromise 4:3 material make it 5'. Ckolchal can you PM me how you made your projector cart mount. In my case I mount UNI-trust on the ceiling passing struts with endless screws so I can also adjust height, PM me so this is off-topic.

·
Registered
28,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lahire_trebual
JoshZ, Joebwan

I don't like P&S, don't buy it, not even rent movies in that format. I always watch movies in OAR. But I have to agree with people that want to watch P&S movies on 4:3 sets that measures less than 36".
36" is plenty sufficient to view 2.35:1 material unless you are sitting 50 feet away. I watched letterboxed content on a 27" TV for years before moving up to a big screen.

36" is such an arbitrary number to throw out. Why that size? The limit for viewing size when watching letterboxing seems to move up every couple of years. It used to be that people would complain that a set smaller than 25" was too small, then it was 27", now you're saying 36". In a couple years will 50" be too small? 65"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.