AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have my HTPC about 30 feet away tucked in a closet.

The concern I have right now is how to control it. I've been looking a fair bit around and most seem to address this with wireless, but the results are inconsistent. I already have ethernet running to the location of the TV from the HTPC. Is it possible to use that to extend the range of the KB and Mouse? If so, how?

Would I be better off daisy chaining 3 or 4 active USB extensions ? I'm just worried about something going wrong in the walls.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
If you're running Windows Media Center why not get an RF remote like the Harmony 900 and program it for use with Media Center? It should have no problem controlling a PC 30 feet awayin a closet. Another option would be to use a standard WMC IR remote and use an IR extender to detect the IR codes and send them to the PC behind closed doors. Lenovo has a nice little keyboard remote with integrated trackball that works great for occasional keyboard use on an HTPC.

If you check the listings at slickdeals.net you'll find a Logitech Harmony 900 (refurbished) on sale for $150. If you look back a few days further you'll find a listing for the new Lenovo multimedia remote with backlighting for only $40.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My stuff is in a closet about 15-20 feet away.

I use a Harmony One most of the time, but that's rarely sufficient.

I use UltraVNC alot, but even that isn't enough if something is going wrong.

An RF Keyboard/Mouse combo doesn't have the range I like. Haven't tried Bluetooth.

So I end up using a long USB extension cable when I need to.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knome2 /forum/post/20906571

I use UltraVNC alot, but even that isn't enough if something is going wrong.

So exactly how often does something goes wrong?

OP: First there is nothing wrong with in-wall cables, go4rit. BUT controlling the HTPC wirelessly with another laptop then you are full control. For something still more portable, as mentioned there are IOS and Android Apps. Come to the 21st century already. Long teetered kbd/mouse? what do you have a vacuum tube computer over there?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you really want to go down the ethernet route, there is a USB over IP software out there that will do the job for you. I've never heard of anyone usign it the way you intend to, but it will work.

I use it for connecting real USB devices to virtual machines on my server, since windows server has no USB emulation and can't "share" USB devices from the host.

Your other options are

1) control over WiFi (ipod, android, ipad, pretty sure there's nokia symbian apps too, and there must be something for windows mobile as well)

2) bluetooth (logitech dinovo mini keyboard for example)

3) if you have a laptop, then control over remote desktop, vnc or similar

Any kind of USBoE mullarkey is just too awkward and too complicated, but you're free to explore that option as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, all.

The Harmony keeps coming up. The last time I tried programming a universal remote, I just gave up. Every time I changed anything I had to redo the whole system. But that was some years ago.

The iOS is also an option as we have several iPod Touch's and iPhone's around the home. Is there reliable a reliable app to control media center (or even written specifically for Media Browser)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.