AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im THIS | | close to finially making a desion between plasma, GWII, Sammy 507, sony HS10 or the panny l300u.

Plasma - too small and too expensive

GWII - stuck pixles, fairly expensive

507 - grainy, fairly expensive

HS10 - still thinking

L300u - seems to be the best deal

However....I did not want to ceiling mount this for a while (WAF) and use it off to the side on a table pointing a hair up (

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you are talking about keystoning? Although I don't use it, I played around with it a bit when I first got the Panny. This is my first PJ, so I can't really compare, but I would have to say that it doesn't work all that great - IMHO. The picture is really great though, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cliff

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have a question, I am interested in this PJ and would have about a 15' throw with I guess a 90" image.

I would have to sit about 9 to 10 feet from the screen though.

I have read the reviews at PJ Central and I was wondering how the pixelation was at this close of a distance.

My room has no exterior windows so I can get it good and dark.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, was talking about keystone, changed the title :p

Darrin,

At a 15' throw your picture would be closer to 120" diag which would be too close at 9-10 feet. You will have to move the projector closer to the screen, and at 90" diag your 9-10 feet should be ok from all the other posts I have read.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DarrinH
I have a question, I am interested in this PJ and would have about a 15' throw with I guess a 90" image.

I would have to sit about 9 to 10 feet from the screen though.

I have read the reviews at PJ Central and I was wondering how the pixelation was at this close of a distance.

My room has no exterior windows so I can get it good and dark.

I sit 17' from my screen viewing 106"diag image and I think it's just about perfect.(some like to sit even closer at 106") I zoomed my 300 down to a 90" diag image and sat 9.5 ft. from it and it is definitly a larger net image. (tape measure of my arms length "field of view" confirms this.) Standard def wasn't so hot but maybe tolerable on DVD and HD. If you have less than perfect vision that distance will be ok, if your eagle-eyed plan on a smaller picture.

·
Registered
307 Posts
So you want to prevent zooming if possible?

This makes the picture worse?

How does that happen and exactly how do you calculate the image size by the throw?

Projector Central gives you these ranges.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So does keystoning make the picture much worse on video?

I used to have a Sony HS10 and using keystone didn't have any noticeable effect with video, but it made computer text look worse - I had to increase the text size for internet use.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
from what I have read the HS10 does a pretty good job at it but the l300u does not, meaning the l300u keystoning doesn't correct the offset without greatly hurting the picture quality. I found someone who had bought the l300u saying "if you planned on buying the l300u and using the keystone feature, don't bother", furthing saying the keystoning in the l300u doesnt work, period.

I have found serveral posts saying that the HS10 does a good job with this and hardly distorts the picture if at all for movies.

·
Registered
307 Posts
How much keystoning is usually used if a projector is mounted on the ceiling?

My ceiling is only 6'-10" and my throw would be about 9.5'.

I would be seated at 9' back from the screen.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
EricD, I don't know about the projectors you are considering, but my projector only corrects for keystoning on the vertical axis (tilting up/down). There is no correction for the distortion of shooting off to one side, you have to have the projector horizontally centered on your screen.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was looking at panasonic l300u which has both vertical and horizontal keystone correction. It does not do this well, however the sony HS10 does do both vertical and horizontal keystone well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.