AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do you mean Replay's "Find Shows"?

If so, do the PPV details (titles, showtimes, etc.) show up in your RTV's Channel Guide? If not, there's nothing for it to search!

For me, DirecTV PPV info isn't available but Comcast cable (InDemand?) is. "Find Shows" does find the Comcast PPVs (by title, description, or any of the options listed).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, "Find Shows".

For instance, "Shanghai Knights" is on Comcast PPV but a Find Shows of "Shanghai" returns nothing!

Find Shows has never worked with PPV... anyone else experience the same?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do you have the PPV channels "selected" to be in your channel guide? If not, I would guess that's the problem. If you do, I haven't the slightest...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course I have the PPV channels selected (all PPV channels are found on pressing Replay Guide, just Find Shows by keywords never display PPVs).

Am I the only one having this Find Shows problem? I have two Panny SS and they both behave the same!

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you DO have descrtiptions for the PPV listings in your RTV guide then you have a problem.

However, if you DO NOT have descrtiptions for the PPV's in your RTV guide then your Cable/Satellite provider does not provide those listings. Since there is no data about the PPV's in the Guide, the RTV search engine can't find anything that would be in the PPV's.

Both Dish and DTV withhold the PPV listings so anyone with either or both of those providers will not be able to get results from a search which is spcifically klooking for something in the PPV's - i.e. "Shanghai Knights". If your ComCast does not provide the PPV data ... there IS NO DATA to search.

Your RTV is many things but it's not a crystal ball.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Comcast and Comcast shows detailed descriptions of each PPV. Since "The Life of David Gale" is on PPV, I did a Find Shows by the keyword: "Gale". Here is what I did:

Menu

Find Shows

Typed in "Gale"

Done

Actors: No

Directors: No

Show Titles: Yes

Description: No

Done

I get "Nothing found."

Since the words "Kevin Spacey" is shown on description, I tried using keyword "Spacey" and turn on "Description". Again, "Nothing found." Like I said in my previous reply, my other SS also behaves the same.

Other searches NOT involving PPV appear fine as a Title search of "Raymond" returns a long list of "Everybody Loves Raymond"...

The Guide has been updated daily and there was no connection failure recently. BTW, this is a SS 2000, if it matters.

Could someone replicate what I just did and kindly confirm if I am the only one?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I can't replicate this, but I know ReplayTV ignores certain channels for finding and themes. They do this for good reason, I could imagine someone putting in something innocent and having something on an adult channel recorded.

They could also be doing this on PPV channels so a theme won't record a blank screen.

Not that this helps much, but it is something to think about.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ace987, good point and it makes total sense to ignore the adult channels on search. However, this is very disappointing if RTV would ignore PPVs as well and I don't want to believe it... :(

Could someone please confirm PPVs are being ignored on search? Are there any alternatives? ReplayLyndon, ReplayRichard??

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have comcast digital cable and I am able to find shows on PPV with the find show option. But I know what your talking about I used to have the same problem.

After I hooked up a second box to line 1 with just the PPV channels it worked. I don't know if thats why it works now or not I just happened to be hooking up that box there anyway.

skinsfan05

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skinsfan05,

What exactly do you mean by "After I hooked up a second box to line 1 with just the PPV channels it worked". So, your 1st cable box doesn't work with Find Shows but your second box hooked to line 1 works?

How exactly do you hook up your secnod box with "just PPV"?

·
Registered
85 Posts
My second box is a (black) box hooked up to the line 1 input. I removed all of the channels from the box on line 1 except the 2 PPV channels. All the channels from the digital cable are the normal channels and the 2 PPV channels from the second box are 1011 and 1049.

I just changed the line 1 input to nothing and I was still able to find shows on PPV. So I don't really know why mine started working.

Skinsfan05

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just tried a keyword search for PPV shows on my second box with analog cable straight into the replay and I was able to find shows. I've never searched on this box before for PPV because it isn't able to get PPV.

So I don't think the box on line 1 has anything to do with it.

skinsfan05

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ever since the 2000 series Showstoppers (like what I have), the search function has *not* been able to find shows on PPV. Ace987 has it on the money--the feature was disabled so you weren't taping a blank signal if you hadn't bought the channel. (Obviously, Replay doesn't cater to those with descramblers). Unlike premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc) which, if you have them enabled in your channel guide you must obviously subscribe to them and they are live 24/7 throughout the day, PPVs only come to life when you pay for that particular movie/day. To avoid a theme taping endless amounts of blank screen, the search feature was disabled.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Maybe that's true for Showstoppers as pianoman says (and rxchng has SS also), but my 5040s definitely *do* find PPV movies from Comcast's digital lineup when I use "Find Shows" (as described in Post #7 above).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.