Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning to buy the Sony XBR Grand WEGAâ„¢ Rear Projection TV and I'm not sure whether to go with a 50" KF-50XBR800 or a 60" KF-60XBR800. My viewing distance is approximately 12 - 12 1/2 feet. Will a 60" be to big or should I play it safe and get the 50"?

I also heard that a new model will be coming out to replace these soon. Does anyone know if a new model will be much better?

Do you think there will be a significant price drop in these when the new Grand WEGA comes out?

Any information will be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a 61" DLP at just under 10' and I think it is fine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've had my 50" GWII for over a month and a half and I'm very happy with it. I have a big enough room for the 60" model -- but in the end, I could not justify the price difference.

Here is a posting I made recently on viewing distance to the GWII-series:

GWII viewing distance

HD looks fine at the min. recommended viewing distance of 6' for the 50" model but progressive DVD does not. At that distance, 480p DVD image artifacts are pretty apparent.

At 10' and greater all images look very good to great and you can still see fantastic detail in HD images.

If I were buying now, I might try to hold off until I get a direct look at the new Sony LCD RPTVs (Sept. & Oct.). There will be 2 lower-priced models at 42" and 50" and a new pair of higher-end models (GWIII series) at 60" and 70". Others have posted pictures of the GWIII models -- they do look gorgeous. There will be a very small bit more resolution on the GWIII series and there's a possibility that the new sets will be "more compatible" with PC monitor input. Here are a couple of my posts on the new sets and a future technology:

GWIII sets

Sony SXRD technology

But, consider when you will be replacing this next set and let that be a guide on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vin1
I also heard that a new model will be coming out to replace these soon. Does anyone know if a new model will be much better?

Do you think there will be a significant price drop in these when the new Grand WEGA comes out?

Any information will be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
The replacments are due out in the immediate future. Noone knows an exact date but it expected in the Sept/Oct area.

The new models are supposed to be improved somehwat but the significance of those improvements is still specualtion.

The current 50/60XBR800 are being replaced by the 60/70XBR950. The new XBR will have built in HD tuners and will cost about $5500 and $7000.

Another line, dubbed the WE610 will be available in 42/50/60 inch sizes. These units are essentially the same as the existing 50/60XBR800 units with a few changes inside, a whole new outside and will not carry the XBR badge. The prices are expected to be about $3000 and $4000 for the 50/60 inch units, not sure how much the 42 will cost.

My advice is to hold off a few weeks if you can. It looks as though some will still be selling the XBR800's even after the new line is selling. More choices are never a bad thing and you just might save some money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.