AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony's GRAND WEGA has finally dropped to a resonable price $4999 from shopsunshine.com

Now I am STRONGLY considering buying the set for my home theater. At this price, it can no longer be campared with the 50" plasmas. Any feedback, cautions, experience, advice, etc.????

Let me know.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had almost forgotten this forum accommodated LCD posts as well....lol. All I ever see here is plasma, plasma, plasma. Just wish I knew something of the picture quality of the unit you describe. At $5000 seems like a good deal, but if the picture quality is any worse than a 50" plasma I'd still rather pay an extra 2 grand for a better albeit smaller picture.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The PQ on the Grand Wega leaves a LOT to be desired. The utter lack of burn-in risk and the big size, however, makes it a possible choice for some. If you like the picture, dreggman, then you should buy it. If you don't, then you shouldn't. What more can anyone say? At $5K, it's not a horrible deal vs. other 60" RPTVs and it's much shallower, lacks the convergence/geometry/focus problems of CRTs and the burn-in risk of CRTs/plasmas.

I personally would not buy the set at all, but I am not you.

Mark

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Go look at the posts on the RPTV section for lots of comments. SUmmary: Nice clear washed out picture. If you want blacks look elsewhere.

·
Registered
33,556 Posts
I have been consistently unimpressed with the Grand Wega. It looks O.K. in high contrast scenes, but give it anything other than that and you take a major hit in PQ. The picture rapidly becomes muddy with medium grays standing in for blacks. Your better off spending more and getting a better display. I can't imagine what a sci-fi movie or, for that matter, any movie with night scenes, would look like on the Sony.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I too was unimpressed with this display when I saw it at the Good Guys and Magnolia HiFi. It didn't remotely compete with the 50" plasmas for HD. In fact, it was one of the worst in both places running an HD feed. I love Sony's regular direct view TV's and in fact I own one right now. But that display just doesn't make PQ wise (for me, anyway.)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It has been said before that this section is for flat panel displays. The common response is that the poster has seen grand wega posts here before. Well those were before the separate RPTV forum was created.

I have not checked the RPTV forum but from what IUnkown is suggesting ppl interested in the grand wega may be better served looking in the RPTV forum.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I personally think that projection TVs have the worst PQ of all other systems.

Sony Grand-Wega its not an exception in this case.

I saw it many times - well its just "big" and looks very good (not the PQ), but that almost all.

You can get Grand-Wega 50" (16:9) here in Germany for less then 5000 Euro ( -10% = $).

Nether less...recentely I saw a new Samsung Proj-TV on a Münich airport last week.

I must say - PQ is quite stunning!

Take it as a tip (a recommendation) if you like Proj-TVs.

Have Fun Joshy

·
Registered
211 Posts
Josh,

I have no first hand experience on these Grand Wegas, but it seems that the European model is not only smaller. It also lacks the HD resolution, progressive scan input and who knows what else. No comparison there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have seen the Sony Grand Wega set up at three different stores and the PQ was always crap..worse even than any RPTV.Maybe I have never seen one set up correctly.Some people really love these,but after having a plasma,there is no real comparison..day and night

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ransome,

My "in-store" experiences with Grand Wegas matched yours, until I seized the remote control and went to work on one.

Changing the picture mode from the typical "Vivid" demo mode to "Movie" helped tremendously. After changing color temp to "warm" and making a few more tweaks, the GW was competitive with anything on the floor. Where it was lacking in deep blacks, it more than compensated with detail and an evenly illuminated screen.

---Wes

(PS - I love those plasmas, too!)

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I saw it a few times I remember thinking that it looked pretty good but the pq was somewhat washed out...not very deep blacks and deep other colors for that matter.

Maybe they dropped their price because lots of comments like this thread is getting.

Pat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.