AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Samsung is 4" smaller and $500 more. Comments welcome on which one I should buy...

Room is 12*16 with primary viewing seat about 12 ft away.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I have not seen the new Sony so I can't comment on the picture quality. But from what I've heard it pretty much looks the same as the GWII. For me, the blacks and contrast level just don't make the cut. I love the Sony direct-view TVs but the Sony LCDs aren't in the same class as the competition in my opinion. In my opinion the Samsungs have the best picture out there in that price range. If you want other options the Panasonic and Hitachi LCDs look much better than the Sony (keep in mind this is my opinion and I consider blacks and contrast level extremely important as far as the picture quality is concerned). I like the Samsungs best, followed by the Panasonic, followed by the Hitachi. In certain lighting the LCDs look close to the Samsungs but in lower lighting the Samsungs come out as a clear winner (make sure the sets brightness and contrast are equal before giving a fair comparison). However, the Samsungs are typically $700 more and this is where you need to determine if you want to spend that much more for what difference you see since there will not be dramatic in the black levels. Good luck.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xb1032
But from what I've heard it pretty much looks the same as the GWII.
Most of the threads here indicate that the GWIII is better. :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, earlier posts seemed to indicate that the new GWIII would be the same as the previous, but this was before anyone had seen one... the newer posts of opinions put the GWIII number 1 from people who have compared the 3 LCD's.

IMHO DLP's have to many drawbacks- not so much the rainbow effect since I have yet to see it, but mostly cost in possible burn in... mostly cost.

Everyone seems to worry about solid blacks (I love them too), but compare that to a movie in a theater which is FAR from true black and everyone seems not to mind!

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
I haven't read any recent posts about the new GWIII so my opinion was based off of older posts. I read on review today (Mfusick) which seemed very positive. I'm going to see if my local Circuit City has them in stock. My big issue after reading his review is how the black will look. We'll see.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've found it very hard to tell black levels from a distance on the LCD's with the showroom lighting. I mean, you can see it but with lighting it isn't bad.

I tend to watch movies with the lights out so I see this as a potential problem myself- but as I previously stated, we don't seem to mind it much at the theater and I assume (and hope) this will be the case once I take the plunge on one of these beauty's!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mindgrind

IMHO DLP's have to many drawbacks- not so much the rainbow effect since I have yet to see it, but mostly cost in possible burn in... mostly cost.

DLPs do not suffer from burn-in.

·
Registered
15 Posts

DLPs do not suffer from burn-in.

Oops.... you're absolutely right! My mistake (what was I thinking:) )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.