AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight for the first time I got a signal on 51 (2.1) from the CBS affilliate KGAN. It was just SD, but at least they are now sending out a digital signal. Can't find any info on their website about it, and they haven't made any announcement. Titan says their going live on Dec. 1, so I assume they are just now starting to test. Hopefully, they will send out HD signal soon. KCRG (Channel 9, 52) is supposed to go live Dec. 20, but I have picked up no signal as of yet. Looks like there's hope for more HD in eastern Iowa!

mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is a good article on KCRG's webpage about their upgrade progress.
KCRG

KGAN doesn't have any news on their webpage :confused:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pat,

Thanks for the link. I always thought KCRG would be up before KGAN. Go figure. I sure hope they're up in time for the Super Bowl. Where are you at in Iowa. I live near Shueyville, 'bout halfway between IC and CR.

mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
hi folks.

Thanks for the update on KGAN! I e-mailed them about HDTV but never got a response. The article on KCRG's site says their HDTV antenna will also be used by KRIN and KGAN. If that is true, it sounds like KGAN has a headstart with the other HDTV equipment since they are testing just days after the KCRG antenna is up.

Does anyone know if KWKB-DT (25-0) is broadcasting? Its listed on myTitanTV listing but I've never received a signal. I'm in Cedar Rapids.

Thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hawkeye,

Yeah, 25 is broadcasting. I think it's in Iowa City, and because my antenna is pointed at Cedar Rapids (Walker) 340 degrees, I don't get a very good signal on 25 (which maps ass 20.1). Some nights I get it pretty strong, and other nights it breaks up a lot. It's not HD, it's just SD 480i digital. You'll probably have trouble picking it up in CR unless you get a rotator to turn your antenna to point toward IC. I'm in Shueyville, about halfway to IC, and still have trouble getting it. Also, channel 47 (maps as 48.1) is up. Again, I haven't seen any 1080i from them yet...just 480i digital. (not even 480P!!) It's a very strong signal though...on my Sony HD100, Channel 7.1 is about 80 to 85 on the signal meter, and Channel 48.1 is consistently in the mid to high 90s.

mike

mike

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crap!:mad: Just talked to the head engineer at KGAN, and he said they are now broadcasting a digital signal (480i), but they are not on their main tower (they'll share it with KCRG) because it was not ready, and they had to be on by Dec. 1. So they're on a smaller tower in CR, with a temporary transmitter putting out 500 watts...which may explain why you might not get a signal if you point it at the tower in Walker they were originally supposed to be on, and will evenntually be on.

They have the HD equipment to pass the CBS signal, but can't use it until they get permanently installed on the KCRG tower in Walker. He said it would be sometime next spring. Damn!!

He also said KCRG has gotten another 6 month extension, but he thinks they'll be up and running sometime in December. I hope so...I really want to see the Superbowl in HD.

So, KGAN is up, but just 480i. KCRG should be up soon...the big questions are when, and will they send an HD signal.

mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mike, that is sad news for KGAN...CBS has the best HD lineup and we can't get it :(

I'm in Waterloo.

I'm hoping that KCRG gets a signal out before the Superbowl too...not a huge football fan but it would be cool to see in HD.

I never watched any skating in the olympics until it was in HD, same for horse racing.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Shoot, I think the Quad Cities CBS channel - WHBF-DT, 58.1 - might be broadcasting more than that! :)

(A little inside joke if you haven't seen the other thread before. They are broadcasting at a very low power too and I can't even get it down here in Muscatine, and that's only about 35 miles away, tops).

But really, 500 watts is is only about .5 Kw, isn't it?

If so, that stinks, I am probly about approx 75 miles from KGAN-DTs transmitter (in Muscatine) and CBS is the one digital station I want most for everyday HD viewing.

And also, I saw you mention KWKB-DT, do you have any idea when they will start passing through actual HD content? I've emailed them a couple of times and they say they don't have a timetable for getting the necessary equipment to pass-thru the HD signal. I'd LOVE to see 'Smallville' in HD, even if just once!

TIA.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tia,

Yeah, 500 watts is pretty puny. I think they did just enough to meet their commitment to the FCC. And I'm pretty sure unless we have another miraculous winter, we won't get any HD out of KGAN until next spring...although they do have the equipment, so that's goodd. The engineer told when they switched to the main tower in the spring they'd "put the coals" to the power...probably in the same range as KWWL Channel 7.1...which is putting out 7000 watts I think he said. And that's when they're gonna also hook up their HD stuff. So until then...glorrious 480i in 4:3.

Haven't heard anything about KWKB...I'm not counting on any HD from them for a while.

The main one I want right now is KCRG...SUPERBOWL!

mike

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
mike -

TIA = thanks in advance. :)

And I hope, for your sake, that KCRG does start broadcasting from their DT transmitter and do pass-thru HD for the SuperBowl. That'll be a 'can't miss' event.

Thankfully for me and others in my situation, WQAD-DT is broadcasting at half-power and is fully HD compatible.

Normally - in a year like this - I wouldn't be too interested in the SuperBowl since I like the Bears, but since it'll be in HD, I might just have to try and invite some friends over for a 'SB Party'.

HDTVwannabe

·
Registered
63 Posts
They are on their old tower in Cedar Rapids at 500 watts. Their schedule is noon to midnight.

I have had a lot of picture flutter and after watching for a few minutes the audio drifts ahead of the video by a couple of seconds. Signal strength is 94 on my DTC-100, same as KGAN - no problem with KGAN.

Jim

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KCRG anchor Bruce Aune said on the 10 o'clock news tonight they had "really great news"--their analog antenna work is now complete, and they are back up to full power, and that "we should even begin our new digital broadcasts in the next week or so." I'll keep my eye on it and post if I start catching a signal. Sure hope it's HD right from the start. Don't know what power they'll be pushing--guess we'll see.

mike

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I have no idea when WHBF-DT plans on increasing their signal strength, so until they do, KGAN - if broadcasting at an ouptut of at least 500kw - would be my only hope at receiving a CBS DTV/HD station.

Hopefully their move to the new antenna will be much sooner than next spring.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.