AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have or heard these amps yet? there's a blurb about them on audiogon and how they bested some lamm monos. for $6500 / pair, i realize they're budget priced for this forum, but i figured if anybody on this site has heard them, it would be the users of this section. thanks much.

kevin t

·
Registered
64 Posts
I listened to both Lamm ML1.1 and MP150 on Kharma's 3.2FE at Kharma HQ in The Netherlands.

It is difficult to compare as both setups had a different pre-amp, DAC and CD-player:

Setup 1:

- Lamm ML1.1

- EMM DAC6

- CEC TL-0 transport

Setup 2:

- Kharma MP150

- Lamm L2

- Primare DVD30 (transport)

- ? DAC

Although both setups sounded very good, setup 1 definitely had the magic in it, that setup 2 lacked. That does not necessarily mean that is all because of the MP150's but it did gave me a few worries, because although I liked the 3.2FE's I do not want to fork out an extra $40.000 on amps etc. after spending $20.000 on speakers. Otherwise I would probably have bought the 3.2FE's

But boy, can these MP150 drive the Grand Exquisite hard and loud in a big room ! Unbelievable ! You don't even notice the amps next to these massive speakers :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesyxthsense
Be very careful it could be described as heresy to dish the lamms on here :D

the force will be against you obiwan
No it won't as long as you can, at the very minimum, say you heard them both and explain your listening impressions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Heard them with my 3.2FEs and these are superb amps.

Maybe too clinical to some, very detailed, very precise.

The bass was what suprized me the most, it was the tightest I've ever heard with my speakers (I have a GamuT D200 Mk3 driving the Kharmas at the moment).

The MP150s I've tried were the prototype, according to Kharma, the production ones (which can be ordered in Black Piano as the speakers) are even better.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'd have to second that... the bass performance on these babies surprised me as well.

The pair of Kharma MP150s I have at home are fairly new, so I hesitate to provide a more comprehensive review, but, it seriously gives the Boulder 1050s a run for their money!

Also, in my setup paired with the VTL 7.5 Pre-amp, I actually prefer the Kharmas to VTL's own S-400! The MP150s are "cleaner" sounding overall and appears to be more tonally neutral. The S-400 is sweet overall and music is more textured, but the bass area was seriously compromised... perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I'm using Kharma Exquisite Midi speakers which are a somewhat difficult load, but the MP150s really bring out the bass performance on the Midis much better than the S-400 ever could.

Both my VTL 7.5 and the MP150 are fairly new, so I expect some run-in to take effect, but "right out of the box", the combination seems to be quite a magical pairing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.