AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I loved the original, but I'm sick of sequels. Just stop it already. The original proves that it's possible to write really different movies with an original vibe. Just do that again.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey  /t/1467631/kick-ass-2-trailer#post_23186527

I loved the original, but I'm sick of sequels. Just stop it already. The original proves that it's possible to write really different movies with an original vibe. Just do that again.

I'm sick of sequels too- lame sequels to movies that were lame to begin with. This sequel I'm looking forward to. I've got hope from the trailer that this one will deliver. In fact it's the first sequel I've looked forward to since The Empire Strikes Back. Hell, it's the first movie I've looked forward to in forever! My only concern is can they keep Jim Carrey from mugging it into submission? Fingers crossed.........

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Red Band trailer- the last line is hilarious.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker  /t/1467631/kick-ass-2-trailer/0_60#post_23186619

My only concern is can they keep Jim Carrey from mugging it into submission? Fingers crossed.........
Agreed, but I think the mask will help.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
As others have observed, we've been burned by sequels before, so I am wary of Kick-Ass2. Hope I'm wrong but I can't imagine that the filmmakers can catch lightning in a bottle again the way they did in Kick-Ass. I do like, though, that Chris D'Amico, has renamed his masked character, originally called Red Mist, "Mother F*cker."
That part at least is certainly in the spirit of the first Kick-Ass.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat  /t/1467631/kick-ass-2-trailer/0_60#post_23192120

As others have observed, we've been burned by sequels before, so I am wary of Kick-Ass2. Hope I'm wrong but I can't imagine that the filmmakers can catch lightning in a bottle again the way they did in Kick-Ass.
Of what value is Faith?

Quote:
I do like, though, that Chris D'Amico, has renamed his masked character, originally called Red Mist, "Mother F*cker."
That part at least is certainly in the spirit of the first Kick-Ass.
It is a good sign.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
A couple of things about this remake immediately concern me. First, the deliciously twisted Big Daddy, played by Nick Cage, was the lynchpin of the original Kick-Ass but he was killed off. Second, the then 11 and 12 year old Chloë Grace Moretz was incredibly funny and charming in the original but is now 16 years old. Charming child actresses often lose the magic that made them adorable as children when they reach puberty, so I worry.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
She is older, but I thought she still had the attitude and the look in that trailer. Also, I think the “salty” language fits better and is more believable at this age than as an 11 or 12 year old; so if anything, I see it as a plus.

With the positive addition of JC, unless I hear differently, I plan on renting the BD when it comes out.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens  /t/1467631/kick-ass-2-trailer/0_100#post_23192575

She is older, but I thought she still had the attitude and the look in that trailer. Also, I think the “salty” language fits better and is more believable at this age than as an 11 or 12 year old; so if anything, I see it as a plus.

With the positive addition of JC, unless I hear differently, I plan on renting the BD when it comes out.

You could be right about Chloë Grace Moretz. She really is a good actress and has done a great job portraying wise-beyond-her-years characters, so maybe she can make lightning strike again. I never know what to make of Jim Carrey. I have loved some of his performances but others have worn me out. At his best, though, he is really good, so maybe in Kick-Ass2 he will be a worthy replacement for Nick Cage.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Jackson  /t/1467631/kick-ass-2-trailer#post_23193978

Everyone knows this is an adaption of a comic, right?

Yeah, and the comic is even more extreme than the movie lol.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010  /t/1467631/kick-ass-2-trailer/0_100#post_23194358

Hell to the F'n YEA!!! I can't wait!!! Looks excellent, not like most lame sequels.

Exactly how I feel and was my fear for any sequel. As gwsat says the "lightning in a bottle" of the first one, for me, was the insane contradiction of this cute, little girl that kicked major a$$ and cussed like a longshoreman. The rest of the movie was not only funny, but chilling in certain scenes. Characters paid a painful price and the movie SHOWED there would be consequences for their actions. I really had doubts they would shoot for the same hardcore elements as the first, but the trailer is pretty good so now my expectations are higher...

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat  /t/1467631/kick-ass-2-trailer#post_23192491

A couple of things about this remake immediately concern me. First, the deliciously twisted Big Daddy, played by Nick Cage, was the lynchpin of the original Kick-Ass but he was killed off. Second, the then 11 and 12 year old Chloë Grace Moretz was incredibly funny and charming in the original but is now 16 years old. Charming child actresses often lose the magic that made them adorable as children when they reach puberty, so I worry.

But Ms. Moretz is the bees knees and I have faith that she can pull it off if anyone can.

The trailer is encouraging to me because they are clearly delving into the effects her highly unconventional upbringing has on her adjustments to the regular world of high school socialization. As noted by many here what made Kick-Ass so special was the heavy dose of realism injected into our superhero fantasies. It looks like that will continue in Kick-Ass 2 and I am excited about this release since the original is one of my all-time favorites.

Jim Carrey is the bigger question for me, though I feel like Nic Cage he could very well be the perfect choice so long as the director can maintain the reins.

·
Banned
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLoaf  /t/1467631/kick-ass-2-trailer/0_60#post_23196735

But Ms. Moretz is the bees knees and I have faith that she can pull it off if anyone can.
If KA2 fails, it won't be because of her.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink  /t/1467631/kick-ass-2-trailer#post_23197337

If KA2 fails, it won't be because of her.

+Million on Chloe. She's not just a fine actor, but she also has "movie star" quality. Jim Carrey oth, has some mighty big shoes to fill. Nic Cage was the unsung hero of KA, the perfect blend of crazy and pathos. His fate and the way Cage played it is what made the finale sooooooooo satisfying. I just pray he doesn't ruin this for me.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.