AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i was curious as to if these would be decent for HT use? I have a pair in my truck (12" Solo L7) and theyre Beast. I saw where several of you DIY'ers use Car audio subs for HT use and wondered if any have experience as to whether it would be worth a build since I have an extra pair laying around? My HT currently uses (3) Hsu Stf-2's which I am happy with...would the Kickers provide an upgrade? Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
yaya, now I get to see all this Kicker **** pop up all over here... which is what I was trying to do myself before.

I ran an S15L7 in home, tried to build a 4th order that was solid at 20Hz but it failed... shook things a lot but no sound. Ran it off the PE 1500 watt plate amp, clipped all the time even at low volume.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/0

yaya, now I get to see all this Kicker **** pop up all over here... which is what I was trying to do myself before.

I ran an S15L7 in home, tried to build a 4th order that was solid at 20Hz but it failed... shook things a lot but no sound. Ran it off the PE 1500 watt plate amp, clipped all the time even at low volume.

So.....not worth messing with? If I were to try seperate sealed boxes for each?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I wouldnt say not worth messing with, they are great drivers but not built for home theater... but thats what EQ is for

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownaphobia /forum/post/20836901

Hey guys, i was curious as to if these would be decent for HT use? I have a pair in my truck (12" Solo L7) and theyre Beast. I saw where several of you DIY'ers use Car audio subs for HT use and wondered if any have experience as to whether it would be worth a build since I have an extra pair laying around? My HT currently uses (3) Hsu Stf-2's which I am happy with...would the Kickers provide an upgrade? Thanks for any suggestions!

Your L7 12s have an Fs of 34 hz. For HT systems, you want the Fs to be closer to 20hz, if not below 20hz. The trade-off for the lowered Fs being increased enclosure size and decreased sensitivity. The L7s do what they do very well which is provide powerful bass in a smallish package for automotive applications, but for HT usage, there are definitely better options than the L7s, including your STF-2s.

If you want to do something new, you can always sell your extra L7s and pick up a decent HT woofer to build something more appropriate.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I just modeled the L7 12" kicker in a ported enclosure vs a SoundSplinter RL-P15 in WinISD alpha

2 subs

single enclosure

10 cubic ft tuned to 18 hertz

The response has a hump at ~50 hertz but has as much extension as the 15. you can always eq out the hump.

on a simulated 1000 watts except I dropped the 15 's to just 500 Watts for the comparison.

The enclosure is what gives you the end response not the small signal parameters. Are there better subs than the L7 for HT use? sure. But if he has them... And wants to try it, I say go ahead. The worst thing is he still likes his current subs. So he is out some time and material.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno /forum/post/20846643

I just modeled the L7 12" kicker in a ported enclosure vs a SoundSplinter RL-P15 in WinISD alpha

2 subs

single enclosure

10 cubic ft tuned to 18 hertz

The response has a hump at ~50 hertz but has as much extension as the 15. you can always eq out the hump.

on a simulated 1000 watts except I dropped the 15 's to just 500 Watts for the comparison.

The enclosure is what gives you the end response not the small signal parameters. Are there better subs than the L7 for HT use? sure. But if he has them... And wants to try it, I say go ahead. The worst thing is he still likes his current subs. So he is out some time and material.

Looks good to me, I like it

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardnok /forum/post/0

Your L7 12s have an Fs of 34 hz. For HT systems, you want the Fs to be closer to 20hz, if not below 20hz. The trade-off for the lowered Fs being increased enclosure size and decreased sensitivity. The L7s do what they do very well which is provide powerful bass in a smallish package for automotive applications, but for HT usage, there are definitely better options than the L7s, including your STF-2s.

If you want to do something new, you can always sell your extra L7s and pick up a decent HT woofer to build something more appropriate.

I may sell them and go a different route. I cant run (2) 10 cu.ft boxes as i dont really have room for that. Thanks to all for suggestions!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.