AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to buy 65" panny S2 for basement.It will be used by kids mostly for PS3. I know that they will leave on(with a static image)overnight. I read an expert review that said new plasmas will NOT burn in unless left static for many days. Read different opinions here.Will it be safe or should I just get a 60" lcd to be safe?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Or put the TV on a plug-in timer (The kind many use for Christmas lights). You can set it to go off at a certain time and not power the circuit back on until a time that is safe in the morning.

No matter what TV you buy you do not want a TV left on as it is an incredible waste of electric. There has to be a ton of ways to avoid a TV being left on.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8high /forum/post/19616363

Want to buy 65" panny S2 for basement. It will be used by kids mostly for PS3. I know that they will leave on (with a static image) overnight.

Do they remember to wipe their own butts every single time when they finish in the bathroom? Do they remember to put on clothing every morning before heading off to school? Do they remember to show up at the christmas tree every December 25th? If so, surely they can be trained to turn the TV off when they finish using it. C'mon. I'm sure they can get in the habit of turning it off. Or just set one or more of the TV's built-in timers to turn the off at specific times on specific days in case they forget and leave it on.

How about - the first time you discover the TV has been left on all night - hide the games for a week. The second time, you put their games up for sale on Craigslist and email them the link

Quote:
I read an expert review that said new plasmas will NOT burn in unless left static for many days. Read different opinions here. Will it be safe or should I just get a 60" lcd to be safe?

LCDs can get a sort of burn-in as well, but to much less of an extent. While Panasonic Plasmas are very resistant to burn-in, i still wouldn't push my luck.

How about just buy them their own inexpensive LCD or Plasma or maybe even aTube TV for gaming and have them leave the Plasma alone? You can password-protect the Panasonic plasma so that certain inputs are blocked from use if they try to connect their games to it.

·
Registered
8,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo TM /forum/post/19616880

I personally wouldn't connect such devices to sensitive devices

A lot of TV's have a sleeptimer should be basicly the same as an extern sleeptimer,would you recommend against using the intern sleeptimer too?.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

Do they remember to wipe their own butts every single time when they finish in the bathroom? Do they remember to put on clothing every morning before heading off to school? Do they remember to show up at the christmas tree every December 25th? If so, surely they can be trained to turn the TV off when they finish using it. C'mon. I'm sure they can get in the habit of turning it off. Or just set one or more of the TV's built-in timers to turn the off at specific times on specific days in case they forget and leave it on.

How about - the first time you discover the TV has been left on all night - hide the games for a week. The second time, you put their games up for sale on Craigslist and email them the link

+1 the OP is either very rich or very extravagant. If it is the former then burn in is not an issue... just replace it with a 72" next year. However IMHO the root is that discipline sounds like a better solution here and will serve them well for the rest of their lives.

I am a father of 3.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 /forum/post/19617711

A lot of TV's have a sleeptimer should be basicly the same as an extern sleeptimer,would you recommend against using the intern sleeptimer too?.

Internal timer is perfectly fine as it shuts down the TV correctly

The external timers simply cut the power

·
Registered
8,383 Posts

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/19617260

You might be surprised. We have at my place a 2 year old, 4 year old (my kids) a 7 year old, a 9 year old and a 13 year old (all three my friend's kids). Not a single one of them turn off the tv when they are done with it. This I would expect from the 2 year old and 4 year old. I generally control the tv for them, but still when I'm not home, the 4 year old will turn it on himself and watch stuff but leave it on when he's done. However the older kids still haven't learned to turn the tv (or any kind of light) off yet. To be fair, the 9 year old is autistic and is very easily distracted so I can understand him leaving the tv on, but there isn't much of an excuse for the 7 year old and most especially the 13 year old. They are told on a daily basis, multiple times per day to turn off the tv (and lights). We even instituted a program where if they left lights on (or the tv) they lost stuff. It didn't work. At this point all we can think to do is to keep telling them to turn it off and hope it takes one day.

For my own kids, when they are a little bit older, if they can't turn off the tv they will not be allowed to watch it.

All this kind of training takes time to settle into kids. Some take longer (and at times, considerably longer) than others. In the mean time, your tv is taking a lot of abuse. If it's a plasma, you could be in trouble.

Quote:

This is what I would do. I probably wouldn't sell their games (until they were older anyway) but they wouldn't see the game for a month or more. I've done similar things in the past with various toys based on abuses of said toy and while it works in the short term, kids are notorious for having very poor long term memory and oftentimes the behavior will reappear at a later date. Its all about persistence and patience when it comes to training kids.

Quote:
LCDs can get a sort of burn-in as well, but to much less of an extent. While Panasonic Plasmas are very resistant to burn-in, i still wouldn't push my luck.

Agreed. Although I thought LCD's never got "permanent" burn-in, but only Image Persistence which is the LCD version of IR.

Quote:
How about just buy them their own inexpensive LCD or Plasma or maybe even aTube TV for gaming and have them leave the Plasma alone? You can password-protect the Panasonic plasma so that certain inputs are blocked from use if they try to connect their games to it.

This is probably the best solution hands down. I know a lot of parents balk at getting kids their own TV but with the amount of abuse a tv will take with the amount of games kids like to play these days, it's a lot better than them burning your new plasma set and destroying it.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts

Quote:

This is probably the best solution hands down. I know a lot of parents balk at getting kids their own TV but with the amount of abuse a tv will take with the amount of games kids like to play these days, it's a lot better than them burning your new plasma set and destroying it.

Probably the best thing. Get them a cheap 32-37 inch, they can abuse it all they want. Prices on these sizes are really cheap right now due to the holidays, you can probably get one very cheap at walmart or target.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As far as training a child to turn off lights and things that will cost you money you can do like I did with mine. A light left on and not used I had to pay money, so I would charge them about a half hour to an hour of work. It doesn't take but a couple of times and they learn. The main thing is your the adult and they are the child all you have to be is smarter than they are, and I never found that to be a problem.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaskin /forum/post/19648206

As far as training a child to turn off lights and things that will cost you money you can do like I did with mine. A light left on and not used I had to pay money, so I would charge them about a half hour to an hour of work. It doesn't take but a couple of times and they learn. The main thing is your the adult and they are the child all you have to be is smarter than they are, and I never found that to be a problem.

I intend to do that sort of thing with my kids. My oldest is getting to that age now (he's 4) but he's very stubborn so I know its going to be a battle. My youngest (2) has a ways to go, but he's more mellow so I'm pretty sure training him for these things should be easier than his brother.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor /forum/post/19617948

+1 the OP is either very rich or very extravagant. If it is the former then burn in is not an issue... just replace it with a 72" next year. However IMHO the root is that discipline sounds like a better solution here and will serve them well for the rest of their lives.

I am a father of 3.

A 65" Flat screen does seem a bit much for the KIDS TV...

Father of 2

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/19649609

A 65" Flat screen does seem a bit much for the KIDS TV...

Yeah, it's a much larger target for flying toys, and a very expensive target at that. If the kids are unable to be trained to turn it off when they're done (or if the parent refuses to train them) then it won't be possible to train them to not throw stuff in the vicinity of the TV

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.